Offseason Bicycle Advice

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
So I had started riding my bike now that I had some time, but I'm in an area where the weather is turning a little faster than I'd planned. I'm looking ahead and trying to figure out what the best options are for when the snow and slush really starts to fly.

I had been looking at those magnetic resistance bicycle trainers that you can use your regular bicycle with like this one

http://1upusa.com/product-trainer.html

I know they come cheaper than that, but I like the fact that's made in the USA and it seems to have some great features.

However, for that price I can buy an entire stationary bike from amazon. Obviously not made in the USA, but the amazon reviews on some of them seem pretty good.

TIA for any thoughts for advice.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Sunny bike I bet that's the caddy for fitness bikes.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Trainers that use your bike are much less hassle than full size fitness club spinning machines IMO, and safer and more convenient than rollers. That 1up looks to be the Cadillac of the clamp-your-bike-in style trainers. Expensive, but I'm sure it's nice. I have one of their trailer hitch racks, and it's pretty spiffy as far as bike racks go.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The 1upusa racks are awesome, didnt know about the trainers....I use Kreitler rollers (with a fork mount when I don't feel like the balancing act). Mostly I just find a place to ride as I just dislike the sweating indoors on a trainer thing mostly....

Last edited:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Trainers that use your bike are much less hassle than full size fitness club spinning machines IMO, and safer and more convenient than rollers. That 1up looks to be the Cadillac of the clamp-your-bike-in style trainers. Expensive, but I'm sure it's nice. I have one of their trailer hitch racks, and it's pretty spiffy as far as bike racks go.
I definitely hear you about space. I was just weighing cost, since it looks like I'd have to buy a front wheel stand and a rear indoor tire as well. Starts adding up, that's for sure.

The 1upusa tacks are awesome, didnt know about the trainers....I use Kreitler rollers (with a fork mount when I don't feel like the balancing act). Mostly I just find a place to ride as I just dislike the sweating indoors on a trainer thing mostly....
Yea, riding outside ain't going to be an option where I am once the snow starts. The northeast, especially up here in the mountains is just too treacherous. Plus there are no gyms around where I am out in the boonies.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I definitely hear you about space. I was just weighing cost, since it looks like I'd have to buy a front wheel stand and a rear indoor tire as well. Starts adding up, that's for sure.

Yea, riding outside ain't going to be an option where I am once the snow starts. The northeast, especially up here in the mountains is just too treacherous. Plus there are no gyms around where I am out in the boonies.
Nah, just get a FatBoy for that snow!
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/adventure/fatboy-se/115495

Down here in TX, we're just now getting cool enough to get in some serious bike riding! Also, it won't be long before the trails get a bit more clear for the winter.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Hey Fuzz. I have burned through many trainers over the years so I may be able to help a bit. My most recent one is the Kinetic Rock and Roll trainer. Nice thing about this one is you can rock the bike from side to side when standing so you don't feel so "locked" into the trainer.

My first suggestion is to really only look at fluid trainers. All the others (magnetic, wind, etc.) are much noisier and not as smooth. I have never seen that one from 1up you listed. Looks ok but I would still look at Kinetic, CycleOps or Tacx as some of the best manufactures. The ones from Performace and Nashbar are ok if you don't use it that much. I put almost 1000 miles in the winter if I am using it 5 or more times a week and the cheap ones don't last.

As for the Spin bike you showed. They are cool but the weighted flywheel's don't give a realistic feel of what riding on the road is really like. Also they don't fit the same as a regular bike so I don't care for that. I like to use one of my road bikes that I know my body is set up like it will be when I am on the road and I have the same seat etc.

Also get some video's as well. Spinnervals are great and give you a good workout in an hour.

By the way. Where did you end up in NY? Did you make it into the Adirondack Park or Catskills?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Hey Fuzz. I have burned through many trainers over the years so I may be able to help a bit. My most recent one is the Kinetic Rock and Roll trainer. Nice thing about this one is you can rock the bike from side to side when standing so you don't feel so "locked" into the trainer.
I'll have to look that one up when I get home. I like the idea of a little side to side motion.

My first suggestion is to really only look at fluid trainers. All the others (magnetic, wind, etc.) are much noisier and not as smooth. I have never seen that one from 1up you listed. Looks ok but I would still look at Kinetic, CycleOps or Tacx as some of the best manufactures. The ones from Performace and Nashbar are ok if you don't use it that much. I put almost 1000 miles in the winter if I am using it 5 or more times a week and the cheap ones don't last.
I'll check out those brands. I'm hoping to stay more consistent this winter compared to last winter and get a lot of use out of whatever trainer I end up with.

As for the Spin bike you showed. They are cool but the weighted flywheel's don't give a realistic feel of what riding on the road is really like. Also they don't fit the same as a regular bike so I don't care for that. I like to use one of my road bikes that I know my body is set up like it will be when I am on the road and I have the same seat etc.
Good point. I forgot about how awkward those spin bikes can feel.

Also get some video's as well. Spinnervals are great and give you a good workout in an hour.
Again, I'll have to look that up. Looks like there will be some consulting with the google tonight. :D

By the way. Where did you end up in NY? Did you make it into the Adirondack Park or Catskills?
That Catskills are pretty much where I grew up. Little bit west of Saugerties out by Woodstock. Adirondack park is about 2 hours north of where I am now, out by Cobleskill. Never been to Adirondack Park, but now that I'm closer I'll add it to my list of things to do. Heck, I grew up in NY but only went to Cooperstown this year after moving to where I am now.

Thanks man.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
So I had started riding my bike now that I had some time, but I'm in an area where the weather is turning a little faster than I'd planned. I'm looking ahead and trying to figure out what the best options are for when the snow and slush really starts to fly.

I had been looking at those magnetic resistance bicycle trainers that you can use your regular bicycle with like this one

http://1upusa.com/product-trainer.html

I know they come cheaper than that, but I like the fact that's made in the USA and it seems to have some great features.

However, for that price I can buy an entire stationary bike from amazon. Obviously not made in the USA, but the amazon reviews on some of them seem pretty good.

TIA for any thoughts for advice.
Well according to your location coordinates you live on the field at Fenway Park. I would expect the groundskeepers to maintain a good clear pedestrian path around the outside perimeter of the park for you to ride.

And it's really not all that bad around here yet, so can't be nearly as bad 52 miles east of me.

:D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Well according to your location coordinates you live on the field at Fenway Park. I would expect the groundskeepers to maintain a good clear pedestrian path around the outside perimeter of the park for you to ride.

And it's really not all that bad around here yet, so can't be nearly as bad 52 miles east of me.

:D
Weather? Not so bad just yet. The hills on the other hand.........

I'm wayyyy too out of shape for all these damn hills :D

Heck, I'd ride around Fenway all day. Go Sawx :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
@adk highlander

Thanks guys. Ended up going with adk's reco and got the rock and roll bike trainer. Should arrive Wednesday.

Do I need a training tire for this thing?

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Trainers are a beating for the most part. I make myself ride one because I don't like losing my cardio fitness during the winter. During my life, I have purchased and sold 5 or 6 trainers because I just get so bored on therm.

A couple of years ago I went all in and purchased a smart trainer and set up a "Pain Cave" and this was the best 'fitness money' I could have spent.

I use the Wahoo Kickr, my real road bike and Zwift. It is so interactive and fun that you look forward to trainer days. You use what is called ERG mode which adjust resistance of your trainer based on the simulated road you are riding. There is no cheating and it is as real as it gets. If you hit a 20% incline, you are standing and pedaling as hard as you can and going 5 mph. There are climbs that take you 45 minutes and will bring tears to your eyes. It has a built in power meter and as long as you don't lie about your weight, the watts are true.

You can also join organized group rides and races, ride with your friend'd who have the set up or pick your choice of training programs or build your own.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/11/2015-2016trainer-recommendations.html

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/08/wahoo-fitness-kickr2-2016-new-trainer.html

Here are some pictures of my set up. I have since moved it into my office with a smaller screen but basic same set up.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis