novice needs help on setting up

X

xkrazy

Audiophyte
hi guys i'm trying to setup my HT, i thought it was just connecting the wires then it will work but it was no the case i went out and brought a Pioneer VSX-515 receiver and brought some 16 gauge wires to connect it up with my 5 speakers with 1 subwoofer the specs for my speakers and sub is: refquency respnse 80-20K HZ for center/ cube frequency response 20-180 hz and 900 watts for subwoofer, also sub/center/sube speaker are 4-8 ohms and my subwoofer is a nonpower one which has 2 black knobs and 2 red knobs so can someone please enlighten me on how to connect this thing
thanks!!!

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Hi xkrazy and welcome!

What brand and model speakers and sub do you have?

X

xkrazy

Audiophyte
STRONGBADF1 said:
Hi xkrazy and welcome!

What brand and model speakers and sub do you have?
hey thanks

the brand of speaker i got is something that i never heard but the brand is Acoustic Reference model number AR-5200s and the subwoofer is the samething

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
xkrazy said:
hi guys i'm trying to setup my HT, i thought it was just connecting the wires then it will work but it was no the case i went out and brought a Pioneer VSX-515 receiver and brought some 16 gauge wires to connect it up with my 5 speakers with 1 subwoofer the specs for my speakers and sub is: refquency respnse 80-20K HZ for center/ cube frequency response 20-180 hz and 900 watts for subwoofer, also sub/center/sube speaker are 4-8 ohms and my subwoofer is a nonpower one which has 2 black knobs and 2 red knobs so can someone please enlighten me on how to connect this thing
thanks!!!
I am assuming that the sub is non-powered but can "handle" 900 watts peak. The two red and two black knobs should be speaker wire connections. Hollow down the center for plugs, and if you turn them out and look at them sideways, a hole thru the stud cross wise for bare wire. One set in from your receiver and one set out to a speaker if you want. Most subs have four red and four black so you can send your left front in and out and the same for the right.

If you are hooking up this way don't set your cross over in the receiver so all the base is sent to the sub and then to your speakers.

SBF1

X

xkrazy

Audiophyte
STRONGBADF1 said:
I am assuming that the sub is non-powered but can "handle" 900 watts peak. The two red and two black knobs should be speaker wire connections. Hollow down the center for plugs, and if you turn them out and look at them sideways, a hole thru the stud cross wise for bare wire. One set in from your receiver and one set out to a speaker if you want. Most subs have four red and four black so you can send your left front in and out and the same for the right.

If you are hooking up this way don't set your cross over in the receiver so all the base is sent to the sub and then to your speakers.

SBF1
yes the sub is a non-powered sub
what do you mean by don't set your cross over in the reciever?:eek:

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
xkrazy said:
Most receivers have a set up function that allows you cut the lower (bass) frequencies from the signal to your speakers and then sends more bass to your sub thru the sub output/LFE (low frequency effect). Since I belive you need to hook up your sub by your normal speaker outputs you don't want to eliminate any bass going to your sub.

Look up these connections in your manuals if you have them. If not look up your manual online.

SBF1

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Powered Sub ?

xkrazy said:
If your sub is not powered then you cannot directly connect it to the receiver. You will need a monblock amplifier to power the sub. Connect a RCA cable from receiver to AMP, speaker wire from amp to subwoofer.

If you sub has an amplifier, crossover knob, and power cord then it is a powered subwoofer and you can connect it directly to the receiver.

X

xkrazy

Audiophyte
thanks this is what i tried hooked up all the speakers and it worked great but once i hooked up the subwoofer with the 4 knobs into 4 front knobs in the receiver i got an overload error but if i take out the speaker that doesn't happen..:confused:

do i really need an amplifier to power up my sub?

thanks

Last edited:
Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
You can't hook the sub up to the fronts and then power speakers aswell if the sub is non powered.

If your receiver has an LFE sub out, use it and send the signal to an external amp.

Yes, you are going to have to buy an external amp.

SheepStar

X

xkrazy

Audiophyte
Sheep said:
You can't hook the sub up to the fronts and then power speakers aswell if the sub is non powered.

If your receiver has an LFE sub out, use it and send the signal to an external amp.

Yes, you are going to have to buy an external amp.

SheepStar
yes my receiver does have a subwoofer preout if LFE sub out is the same
so my sub needs a amp what kind of amp should a purchase and how would i setup it up? sorry for my ignorance :eek:

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
xkrazy said:
yes my receiver does have a subwoofer preout if LFE sub out is the same
so my sub needs a amp what kind of amp should a purchase and how would i setup it up? sorry for my ignorance :eek:
If we hated your ignorance, we wouldn't do this ;)

I have heard PA amps (PA= Pro audio) have good power for the $.

check www.partexpress.com they have good prices on almost everything.

SheepStar

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis