Not Getting Rear Speaker (Surround) Sound on LG LHT854 5.1

W

washburncincy

Audiophyte
Currently have a DirecTV HD Receiver, Sony Blu-Ray and an LG LHT854 5.1 all working along with a Sharp Aquos 42-inch LCD. The DVD player no longer works on the LG, thus the separate Blu-Ray player. I have been running 3.1 (I guess?) for a few years and decided to finally hook up the rear speakers. However, I get no audio through them.

I've run the setup test on the LG and all seem to be functioning. When watching programs/movies, I have checked the rears and can hear a light static (not disruptive - just enough to know they're on).

Please ask me questions on how it's hooked up and I'll answer as completely as possible. I would just like to enjoy surround surround from a system I've had for a long time now.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum!

I see that your LG has a single digital audio input. How do you have audio connected throughout your system? Do you connect the DirecTV and blu-ray to your TV, and then connect the TV to your LG?

W

washburncincy

Audiophyte
Yes. I haven't been able to figure out any other way to get it to my external speakers. I feel like I'm probably just out of luck, but wanted to see if there was anything I could do.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Does either the DirecTV or blu-ray player have an optical digital audio output? If so, try connecting the audio from one of those directly to your LG and see if your rear speakers output sound. My guess is that the Sharp is converting multi-channel audio input over HDMI into a stereo signal over its digital audio output. That's pretty common, and only a few TVs will output 5.1 audio from an HDMI input.

If that does work for you, then we can take a look at some solutions to get both the DirecTV and blu-ray player hooked up.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis