Norway Kills The FM Radio Star – Could It Happen Here?

Do you still listen to FM?

• Yes

Votes: 21 91.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Norway became the first country to begin a campaign of shutting down FM radio signals this week. The nation’s “Radio Digitization” program began on 1/11 at 11:11 am – a start time with a very “digital” feel. The FM shutdown will run through 2017 county by county, until the last FM signal is squelched and the airwaves over Norway go cold and silent in mid-December.

Is Norway the first of what may eventually become a global push to 86 FM forever?

Read: Norway Kills The FM Radio Star – Could It Happen Here?

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
But how would I listen to Rush in the car?
As long as they keeps cd players, I'm good!

But the digital age offers one great advantage: access to complete music servers with anything and everything stored on them.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
As long as they keeps cd players, I'm good!

But the digital age offers one great advantage: access to complete music servers with anything and everything stored on them.
Dunno about that, I have some vinyl that was only released on that format.

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
It already happened in the USA ... it's called Satellite Radio. The patient is still alive, but she's on life support.

Here in Canada we still have a fairly robust FM industry.

But regardless of where you live anywhere in the World, governments know the spectrum is extremely valuable to wireless industry stalwarts and new entrants, so no bandwidth is safe from a politician eying easy money. It's limited and rare: you can't make more.

From the perspective of your average elected official, either they do it now (and spend it, buying votes) or the next guy will someday in the future. Guess which one they prefer.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Where I live now, surrounded by the Willamette national forest, I think I can tune a few Eugene/Portland stations on repeaters but reception is still problematic and the content last time I tried made me turn it off.

I carry around several gigs of music with me and no commercials, I'm happy. I use Pandora and Spotify now to sample new to me music....

If FM disappeared now I wouldn't even notice....

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
It already happened in the USA ... it's called Satellite Radio.

Here in Canada we still have a fairly robust FM industry. But governments know the spectrum is extremely valuable to wireless industry stalwarts and new entrants, so no bandwidth is safe from a politician eying easy money. After all either they do it now (and spend it, buying votes) or the next guy will someday in the future. Guess which one they prefer.
F- Sirius/XM - what started with bad quality radio with no commercials which doesn't work under bridges, now shifted to monopoly with uber expensive $15/month subscription, commercials and still crappy quality. I listen to FM/hdradio - few of local stations (classical and jazz/blues radios) on rare occasion classic rock, but it has too many ads I can't stand and content wise is too much top 100 all the time. How many times I could listen to same 100 songs over and over again??

Yes, I could just stream pandora etc...., but it's just takes more clicks.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
F- Sirius/XM - what started with bad quality radio with no commercials which doesn't work under bridges, now shifted to monopoly with uber expensive $15/month subscription, commercials and still crappy quality. I listen to FM/hdradio - few of local stations (classical and jazz/blues radios) on rare occasion classic rock, but it has too many ads I can't stand and content wise is too much top 100 all the time. How many times I could listen to same 100 songs over and over again??

I only routinely listen to 2 FM stations.

NPR, and they are basically commercial-free.

And the local college radio station. They have some great programming on there, of course it is run by the students.

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
I find the Sat Radio broadcasts of acceptable Sound Quality (SQ), even though they have very aggressive compression algorithms, they for some reason sound better to my ears than equivalent mp3/etc examples.

I wonder if part of that is because the Satellites run a path that goes north about 150 miles to my East then turns around and goes south about 150 miles to my west. Reception is never an issue.

It's been too long since I dug into the compression schemes used by Sirius and XM, so I no longer remember the exact details (and don't care to look it up a second time); about all I remember is that Sirius had the higher quality of the two but neither is as high as a 128 mp3.

I don't think you can expect good FM reception in the US NorthWest; even cellular coverage is spotty in many places there. The same would go for the West Coast of Canada.

Where I live it's FM DreamLand as far as the landscape goes; a 60 mile radius circle is fairly common. We have the same uncaring management and chain radio station situation as in the US, but it's mercifully less concentrated. There is no secret to the radio business ... dial up the compression and you cover a wider audience, which improves your rate card, which helps the bottom line. Sound Quality suffers, but the shareholders don't care.

On the other hand we still have CBC FM, which offers excellent music programming, especially at night and on weekends, and the Engineers there still strive for Sound Quality and know how to work a compressor correctly.

For some reason my local market is quite competitive, there are more FM stations here than ever before, in the last few years there have been three new stations getting licensed here.

We do have the problem where one company owns both an AM and an FM station in the same market, but one company can't legally own multiple stations in the same radio band, so there are a half dozen or so players involved.

Sadly the University station shut down but it was able to donate the album collection which goes back to the 1960's to an independent community-supported FM station here, which keeps the commercial ones honest at least. You can't legally resell "white label" records as no copyright fees are paid on them; your options are either a station uses them themselves, or transfers them to another broadcaster free of charge, or destroys them.

There is no Digital Radio FM in Canada, which I love because you can buy a Digital Receiver from the US which will default to analog when the digital signal fails (and it does fail when you move further from the tower) so there is no annoying switching from Digital to Analog and back, and the Analog signal sounds excellent and travels further. I think I paid $30 for the Directed FM Tuner from Amazon Dotcom that I installed in my car.

I find radio invaluable when travelling; you can listen to your choice of software between cities or on long trips but the local radio is a great way to get topical local information, attractions that might be going on, that kind of thing. So I still want both FM and AM in my vehicles, along with a Sirius Sat receiver which is my favourite way to hear and learn about new artists.

I also have some form of full resolution digital audio in vehicles, whether it's a CD player or in one vehicle I have an iPod Classic 160 which stores 16/44 files that are upsampled to 24/96 by an external DAC before making it to the system. So the gamut, depending on what I want from the music at the time. But I still do value the FM radio.

In my truck I have the most elaborate system of all. There is a factory AM/FM/Cassette/CD deck that has been modded so that output is line level (both the volume control and power amp are bypassed). Then there is an old 3rd generation iPod (firewire, so it's 12V) that came with a small HD, that has been hacked so that it's a permanent install, the original HD and the battery has been removed and instead it connects by a couple of adapters to a 500 GB IDE drive (also 12V) with most of my uncompressed music on it. Line Level is taken from the analog out at the Firewire port (not the headphone amp) and sent to the system's preamp where the usual volume control etc and a version of the usual amps and speakers are found.

Last edited:
H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic

Not only is Sirius ridiculously priced, their play lists makes even Pandora's seem huge.

Anymore, I just have thumbdrives with my music collection plugged into my cars' radios. Now if they would get past fat32 so I don't need to compress the files to get more on there. Maybe my new car is, I should check that out.

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
I'm not so sure that I'll miss FM if it goes away. Much of the content that I listen to these days is on the web as opposed to over the air FM. The bigger problem [as I see it] is the AV industry. They are going to have to retool to make integrated amplifiers instead of full-blown receivers. I wish more integrated amps were on the market today. Sony, Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, are you listening?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm not so sure that I'll miss FM if it goes away. Much of the content that I listen to these days is on the web as opposed to over the air FM. The bigger problem [as I see it] is the AV industry. They are going to have to retool to make integrated amplifiers instead of full-blown receivers. I wish more integrated amps were on the market today. Sony, Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, are you listening?
There'd be more of them if the market was there for them I'd think, but even when 2ch was king the receivers am sure outsold integrated amps....its just a niche market. You would just add a tuner or internet streaming device?

hk2000

hk2000

Junior Audioholic
In my car, I have windows phone and iPhone, I have Spotify subscription and access to numerous streaming options. I have USB input for a thump drive playback and I have XM radio, I still listen to FM/HD radio about 80% of the time. Listening to stored music and streams feels isolated, listening to the radio makes you feel you're part of an audience which feels a lot more social I guess, not to mention, sports radio programs are hard to do without for me. I would be really pissed if broadcast radio was no longer an option, but if FM gave way to digital broadcast, I wouldn't mind at all.

J

John Sully

Enthusiast
I still listen to FM on a daily basis, but like an earlier poster I only listen to two local stations: NPR and the local college station. However I do stream radio stations from out of market, most often KPIG from Santa Cruz, CA and KQED from San Francisco.

I also often stream from Amazon Music Unlimited, and I also have 20K songs stored on my phone (200Gb microSDXC) because out here in Montana you often do not have a good data connection and sometimes not even service.

But I actually like radio. I like DJ's who know way more about music than I do and can introduce me to new stuff.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I personally think it is time to make plans to retire terrestrial radio transmissions. FM is a technology that has had a very long run and is now past its sell by date. Its origins are an interesting but sad story. I say that as someone who listens to FM. I listened to last night Minnesota Orchestra concert live on FM last night.

FM however can not compete in terms of quality in the digital age. Like all analog technology price and build matter and matter a lot. For best analog FM quality a good FM tuner is essential. These days that means finding a good vintage one. There is not a decent quality one made any more. I use Peter Walker's last FM design the Quad FM 4 one of the best tuners ever made.

However FM has intrinsic limitations the most problematic being limited dynamic range. In this day and age RF interference, especially from LED light bulbs is a major problem. A few bulbs no problem. But if you want a decently lit home with even controllable lighting then FM listening becomes impossible as LEDs emit large amounts of RF right across the FM band. Fortunately HD radio does not pick up this interference. Both my pre/pros have HD. Due to problems at introduction most units are now being issued without HD, just when it is now most needed.

HD radio is now much improved with highly significant improvements in the codec which is a bespoke version of AC3 +. It now does sound better then analog FM.

Unfortunately North America does not use DAB or DAB plus. Ibiquity HD is broadcast in the analog FM mask and is a hybrid system. The other problem is that because the analog and digital systems are so combined it does not take advantage of the greatly increased dynamic range that digital broadcast has to offer.

The best way to get high quality music to the home is via Internet streaming. Unfortunately what is on offer in the US is miserable low bit rate streams, and more often than not mp3. That is another issue. The mp3 codec is something that is long overdue for retirement. The Internet stream from MPR is a disgrace.

The BBC on the other hand in the UK stream at 320 kb/s AC3+ MPEG DASH. The quality is CD quality and in fact because the quality of BBC recording is so good better then most commercial CDs. For video concert downloads the bit rate is 640 kb/sec. The quality is far above what can be achieved with analog FM and better than iBiquity HD we are saddled with in the US.

In my view terrestrial broadcasting should be phased out and replaced by high quality Internet streaming. This will take time because of cars. Newer cars now have Wi-Fi hot spots and as this technology spreads the switch over to Internet streaming can be made.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
In my opinion it doesn't matter which technology is used,but clearly digital is way to go.
Dab, hdradio or Internet streaming needs to be easy to access and use and affordable, but most importantly for music station is to have at least some way of music discovery.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Newer cars now have Wi-Fi hot spots and as this technology spreads the switch over to Internet streaming can be made.
Even if starting tomorrow, ALL new cars sold would have hot spots, I wonder how long it would be before all cars on the road have hot spots? And as cars w/o hot spots become the minority, at what point do we stop all OTA broadcasting?

As a good conservative, I think the market place should decide. When OTA advertisers no longer think that segment is lucrative, they'll stop buying ads, and the stations will die a natural death.

I suppose a good liberal would support government requirements that OTA stations stay alive until the last car w/o a hotspot went to the junkyard. Dropping OTA would be prejudicial against the economically disenfranchised. Taxpayers would fund subsidies to replace the lost ads and keep stations on the air... (except for the talk radio ones).

:);):p

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
I listen to FM radio regularly, but the stations I prefer are all community radio, commercial free. Hate those ads.

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
I personally think it is time to make plans to retire terrestrial radio transmissions. FM is a technology that has had a very long run and is now past its sell by date.
... (snip)
FM however can not compete in terms of quality in the digital age..
... (snip)
I have to disagree there. FM has the potential for excellent sound quality, and even when massively degraded through the typical commercial station's greed-motivated processing, still offers comparatively good sound.

The digital broadcast as used in the US ... the so-called "HD Radio" ... does not refer to "High Definition". It's just two letters of the alphabet designed to imply a quality that actually doesn't exist. The analog simulcast is higher quality.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis