Status
Not open for further replies.
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm with you, I've been shot down and called a moron over cables as well. I don't get it, never will. I guess a Ferrari is pointless as well bc a zo6 is just as fast.
You seem to miss the whole point and that car analogy is, well, silly.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
I like to think of it as,
3 meals out = $300
1 pair of cables $150-200.
I'll have the cables longer....................

I win..............
I view it as,
If someone needs a cable to hook up a system, run to the store, purchase said cable at a reasonable yet cheap cost. if they are in it for the long haul, hobby, or just because, why not go with something exotic if they don't care to spend the money, or just want something nice, jewelry for the gear as it may be.
I DO understand that this forum is not generally directed towards crazy high end exotic gear, I understand the overall census that it is more budget minded. but I don't agree with bashing someone for how they want to spend their money.

bigus

bigus

Audioholic
I view it as,
If someone needs a cable to hook up a system, run to the store, purchase said cable at a reasonable yet cheap cost. if they are in it for the long haul, hobby, or just because, why not go with something exotic if they don't care to spend the money, or just want something nice, jewelry for the gear as it may be.
I DO understand that this forum is not generally directed towards crazy high end exotic gear, I understand the overall census that it is more budget minded. but I don't agree with bashing someone for how they want to spend their money.
Your stoned.............

But I agree. I'll spend my money as I see fit.

To much talk about science, money, makes my head hurt......

the quest for sound continues......

Last edited:
tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I view it as,
Why to use more money in a hobby if there is no benefit for doing so? To get more E-PEEN? There is a lot of scientific researches that show that there is no change in cables after certain point, which can be reached quite cheaply. If you think you hear a difference you should check the post #19. Save your money and buy some quality beer to enjoy while you listen to your music.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I view it as,
People get bashed on here for spewing rubbish "information" that leads the newbie that deosn't know better down a path of needless spending!

Spend your money on your cables or whatever else that you wish, but you are doing a dis-service to the newb that doesn't know any better and believes impossible claims about cabling.

The BETTER advice would be to purchase cheap but adequate cables, and take the $ saved and use that for: Better Speaker Budget, Measuring Equipment, Room Treatments--these are areas that are GUARANTEED to give MEASURABLE AND AUDIBLE improvements to the audio! Spending more $ on cables and not allocating $ to these items is absolutely a fool's errand.

It's pretty difficult to argue with air tight reasoning like that, but I'm sure the trolls will try it.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

People get bashed on here for spewing rubbish "information" that leads the newbie that deosn't know better down a path of needless spending!

Spend your money on your cables or whatever else that you wish, but you are doing a dis-service to the newb that doesn't know any better and believes impossible claims about cabling.

The BETTER advice would be to purchase cheap but adequate cables, and take the $ saved and use that for: Better Speaker Budget, Measuring Equipment, Room Treatments--these are areas that are GUARANTEED to give MEASURABLE AND AUDIBLE improvements to the audio! Spending more $ on cables and not allocating $ to these items is absolutely a fool's errand.

It's pretty difficult to argue with air tight reasoning like that, but I'm sure the trolls will try it.
Very well put. That is exactly the point and why we strive to shut down these type of threads.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
You seem to miss the whole point and that car analogy is, well, silly.
Silly as it may be, the Ferrari is a piece of hand crafted art, the z

The point I was trying to make WAS to purchase cheap cables. I found this thread to go past the point of a noob asking the question if there is a difference in performance. I have a few cables around $100 retail (did not pay near that much) but I also see them on a daily basis so they were purchased for looks (the jewelry comment) I've heard exotic cables, and "auditioned". I never heard the difference. in the case of a hobby and wasting money, if I had a crazy nice setup 2ch mono blocks all that on display I would consider exotic cables solely bc they look good to me. My opinion. (ok I'm living in a dream, ill never own a $100k setup) and with all that said, no, it's not possible for one 10' length of ofc to sound better than another 10' lenght of ofc.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Silly as it may be, the Ferrari is a piece of hand crafted art, the z
You're insulting both the Ferrari and Z06 by comparing them to the nonsense that Nordost is. :)

If you're an insecure male who needs big monoblock amps out in the middle of the room to show off, either car is a good analogy. ;)

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
You're insulting both the Ferrari and Z06 by comparing them to the nonsense that Nordost is. :)

If you're an insecure male who needs big monoblock amps out in the middle of the room to show off, either car is a good analogy. ;)
Alright ya got me.

Figured the zo6 and ferrari would have worked a little better, I lost.

And those 2ch setups, can only dream, but I'd never run solid core romex like I've seen ppl do, apparently solid core is best but that can be the next debate...almost sounds wrong...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Alright ya got me.

Figured the zo6 and ferrari would have worked a little better, I lost.

And those 2ch setups, can only dream, but I'd never run solid core romex like I've seen ppl do, apparently solid core is best but that can be the next debate...almost sounds wrong...
LOL car analogies really don't work for audio for the most part (IMHO), particularly cable analogies.

I remember reading a quote from the amp designer Douglas Self about monoblocks only being necessary if the amp designer was too clueless to design a two channel amp with a certain crosstalk/separation spec, and not a particularly great one....I'll have to go look for that.

ps Here's the quote I was thinking of, from his book on audio amplifier design in a proposition and answer format:

(proposition) Monobloc construction (i.e. two separate power amplifi er boxes) is always audibly
superior, due to the reduction in crosstalk.

(answer) There is no need to go to the expense of monobloc power amplifiers in order to keep crosstalk under control, even when making it substantially better than the 20 dB that is actually necessary. The techniques are conventional; the last stereo power amplifier I designed managed an easy 90 dB at 10 kHz without anything other than the usual precautions. In this area dedicated followers of fashion pay dearly for the privilege, as the cost of the mechanical parts will be nearly
doubled.

Last edited:
jinjuku

jinjuku

Wow... You are a non believer................
Stock RCA?

Those red and white RCA's were great in the day...............

I don't believe anyone is championing utterly junk interconnects. The science backs that once an IC has delivered on it's output a signal that has had the least amount of damage done to it is what is needed.

Not sure what problems a $200 RCA or XLR solves that at $20 variant doesn't where both have good build quality.

My offer of $2000 stands: In your setup you pick between some interconnects (Kimber, Terra, Cardas, AQ) and a sub $20 RCA or XLR. 3 foot.

If you can't get 18 out of 20 right then you just take care of my travel expenses.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

The point I was trying to make WAS to purchase cheap cables. ... I have a few cables around $100 retail (did not pay near that much) but I also see them on a daily basis so they were purchased for looks (the jewelry comment) I've heard exotic cables, and "auditioned". ....
I guess I missed your point there. :)

And there is nothing wrong buying for looks as that can be important.

bigus

bigus

Audioholic
Very well put. That is exactly the point and why we strive to shut down these type of threads.
A/V Interconnects, Cables & Power Conditioning

This is the parent thread...
It's a thread where people can talk about cables.....

*removed personal attack

Last edited by a moderator:
bigus

bigus

Audioholic
I don't believe anyone is championing utterly junk interconnects. The science backs that once an IC has delivered on it's output a signal that has had the least amount of damage done to it is what is needed.
I agree...
Because a good cable should offer...the "least amount of damage" to the signal.

Last edited:
bigus

bigus

Audioholic

IMHO, Nordost is the Ferrari of cables. Make no mistake about that.

I would love to be able to afford the Primaluna mono blocks!
Place them in the middle of the room is my dream.

You have no idea what 2 channel music is and you never will.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
IMHO, Nordost is the Ferrari of cables. Make no mistake about that.

I would love to be able to afford the Primaluna mono blocks!
Place them in the middle of the room is my dream.

You have no idea what 2 channel music is and you never will.
No, Ferrari has value, Nordost does not. Enzo should beat you for such an offensive remark.

bigus

bigus

Audioholic
Enzo?...........................

Enzo?

Enzo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com