Nordost Audio Cables.

U

Unregistered

This cables are expensive as hell and one of the most reviewed and respected audio cables available. I recently rewired my system with nordost blue heaven IC's and Spkr cables and I found it to sount terrific. As I was reading Dr. Johnson's skin effect article he proposed a DIY cable that was somehow consistent with the dising principles of nordost cables. Any comments? Funny enough I am using electrostatic speakers by Martin Logan.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Unregistered said:
This cables are expensive as hell and one of the most reviewed and respected audio cables available. I recently rewired my system with nordost blue heaven IC's and Spkr cables and I found it to sount terrific. As I was reading Dr. Johnson's skin effect article he proposed a DIY cable that was somehow consistent with the dising principles of nordost cables. Any comments? Funny enough I am using electrostatic speakers by Martin Logan.
Well, I don't know about any special sonic properties, but I do give them credit for making what I find to some of the most beautiful looking speaker wires around. I refer specifically to the Valhalla and similar looking Valkyra lines. Simply beautiful, IMO, of course.

-Chris

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Unregistered said:
Why would anyone respect any audio cable? What is there to respect?

You make reference to Dr Johnson's paper on skin effect. Could you provide a link? Is he at this cable company? I linked in their technical paper link but didn't see this paper.

One importan aspect is missing at the web site, DBT listening and comparing. Wonder why that is? :confused:

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
Skin effect is a real phenomenon but a non-issue at audio frequencies (it might have some measureable but still inaudible effect at the highest audio frequencies but don't quote me on that!). If you're designing things like radio frequency transmission lines or high-speed data transmission lines then it's a genuine concern.

Fun fact (if a bit tangental to the topic): according to Maxwell's theory (one of the main underpinnings of electromagnetic theory) a signal does not actually travel thru the metal conductor of a wire but along a region between the wire and insulation! The wire itself merely carries a current which "guides" the signal. This is at the very limits of my poor layman's understanding but I think I have it close enough. From this, it can be seen that stuff about the physical/molecular properties of the wire itself - another fertile field for misinformation by cable vendors - are quite unimportant except for how well or poorly it conducts electricity.

What it all comes down to, as the Audioholics articles and innumerable other genuine authorities have stated, is that the only parameters that are of any concern in audio cable are resistance (R), inductance (L), and capacitance (C). They should be as low as possible. This is easy to achieve at a manufacturing cost of pennies per foot. Quality connectors with good strain relief are of course a good thing, too. Shielding is often useful (and can't hurt even if it's not needed). And if you have cables showing or just like that "industrial tech look" then it's worth spending a few extra bucks for the sake of appearance.

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

That paper is here at audioholics

mtrycrafts said:
Why would anyone respect any audio cable? What is there to respect?

You make reference to Dr Johnson's paper on skin effect. Could you provide a link? Is he at this cable company? I linked in their technical paper link but didn't see this paper.

One importan aspect is missing at the web site, DBT listening and comparing. Wonder why that is? :confused:

It is funny how some people react to some words. A simple statement can offend them pretty easily, their lost. When you see a beatiful Mercedes-Benz or BMW passing trough, don't you have a feeling of respect for the designers, do you consider their effort and genius for creating such a beatiful (and high-performance) car. Just a thought!

The paper I quoted was here in audioholics, have a good time,

willie
http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/audioprinciples/interconnects/Skineffect-hjohnson.html

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Unregistered said:
It is funny how some people react to some words. A simple statement can offend them pretty easily, their lost. When you see a beatiful Mercedes-Benz or BMW passing trough, don't you have a feeling of respect for the designers, do you consider their effort and genius for creating such a beatiful (and high-performance) car. Just a thought!

The paper I quoted was here in audioholics, have a good time,

willie
http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/audioprinciples/interconnects/Skineffect-hjohnson.html

Thanks for the link. I didn't see anything that is out of the ordinary in it about skin effect. Yes, it is well known, no, it is not important in audio. The loss is a good order of magnitude below the treshold of detection witht he most sensitive conditions.
The less informed sure try to make a big issue out of it and the audiophile community certainly has not demonstrated that anyone on the planet can hear its effect at audio frequencies. That includes the cable material involved, teflon, rubber, you name it.

React to words? In this case, it was a curious statement to clarify or ask about. In other instances, people react to words a hole lot more. One only has to look around the planet.
As to your car analogy, no I am not that anamored about them to admire a designer. Besides, it is a team effort, not a single person.
And cables are even on a lower level than cars. Cables are just that.

U

Unregistered

do you speak english? the words "designers", and "their efforts" are plural, as in more than one, as in a designer team.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Unregistered said:
do you speak english? the words "designers", and "their efforts" are plural, as in more than one, as in a designer team.

Oh, yes, you are correct. So what. Why would I have respect and awe for car designers? What is there to respect?

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
mtrycrafts said:
Why would I have respect and awe for car designers? What is there to respect?
Because some are maybe very talented? Just a thought. Do you think the guy (or team) that designed the Ferrari Enzo or McLaren F1 would ever stoop to working for GM?

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
I could have sworn I embedded a pic link to a cable. Why was this removed? Which mod has edited?

-Chris

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Mudcat said:
Because some are maybe very talented? Just a thought. Do you think the guy (or team) that designed the Ferrari Enzo or McLaren F1 would ever stoop to working for GM?
So, because of that I should have awe and respect for them? There are lots of talented people on the planet. Car designers are not one that would fit into my box of respected people. It is all a personal choice I suppose, whom one fits into their box of respect.
I still don't get it.

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
I wasn't saying that a talented car designer should be respected, although it did come off reading that way. I was making a push for respecting talent. I do not like, never have and probably never will like Prince, but I respect his talent. Same with Kenny *, Kenny Rogers, and any other Kenny.

In my field, I know there are a lot of people who think I'm a compete A--hole (obviously most people do not know me, because if they did, then everyone wuold think I'm a complete a--hole), but when I deliver a propulsion plant design, noboby screws around with it. To me that is an indication of respect for my talents as a designer of marine propulsion plants. Regardless of whether or not they like me.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

In my field, I know there are a lot of people who think I'm a compete A--hole (obviously most people do not know me, because if they did, then everyone wuold think I'm a complete a--hole),

Naw, I don't think that at all. Maybe because I don't know you :D

but when I deliver a propulsion plant design, noboby screws around with it. To me that is an indication of respect for my talents as a designer of marine propulsion plants. Regardless of whether or not they like me.

I am impressed. :cool:

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

WmAx said:
Well, I don't know about any special sonic properties, but I do give them credit for making what I find to some of the most beautiful looking speaker wires around. I refer specifically to the Valhalla and similar looking Valkyra lines. Simply beautiful, IMO, of course.

-Chris

Yes, they are different looking. :cool:

U

Unregistered

Mudcat said:
Thank you, mudcat, my point exactly, people who achieve great things, no matter in what field they work are to be respected. And that is something that only humble people (not exactly mtrycrafts) can appreciate. Their example in courage and passion needs to be reminded to the likes of mtrycrafts.

Willie

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
Wonderful! Passion and talent together are what often results in genius. Some products even by a team are classics and deserve recognition as such. Alas most of us have more passion than talent. We have to appreciate the results. That's way there are Enzo's, McLaren F1's, Grand SLAMMS and Martin Logan Statements. :cool:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis