Noob needs suggestions

T

tikidoc

Audiophyte
I hope it's OK to post in this forum. It looks like the newbie forum gets very little traffic.

I'm looking for suggestions. The long term goal is to try to set things up so that we can listen to music (stored on the computer) throughout the house, but I'd be happy just getting good sound in the living room to start. I have not purchased much as far as audio equipment (other than portable stuff - iPod with above average earbuds and a Bose iPod dock system) for quite a while, so please talk to me like I'm an idiot. We have a fairly large library of music that we have stored on iTunes. The computer is a less than year old Apple iMac. When it comes to the computer end of things, I would prefer to stick with Apple products.

As far as our home wifi network, we don't currently have much. We just moved to a new house. In the old one, we had DSL internet access and had a basic home network set up but we recently moved to a house out in the boonies, and our internet access is through a Verizon mifi card. I think it has some basic network capabilities but all we have used it for is internet access on 2 computers. So at this point, since we pay for internet service by the GB, video streaming (Netflix, etc.) and internet radio are not an option until we get DSL or cable (and we have no idea when that may be). At this time, audio stored on the computer is my main concern.

So, if I was looking to spend in the range of $500-700, what is the best way to turn the music on iTunes into good sound, with the flexibility to use the components as part of a system to have music throughout the house as I add to the system and put speakers in more rooms.

Any help would be appreciated.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis