Noob needs help! Xbox 360 HDMI audio skipping!

J

jbagley77

Enthusiast
The title says it all. I've got an Xbox 360 with HDMI output plugged into my JVC HD-ILA. The problem is that every five seconds or so, the audio skips like it's a broken record. For reference, I've had the TV for three years, the Xbox for one.

I've changed cords to no effect. When I plug the same HDMI cord into a satellite receiver, the audio works fine, so it seems the problem stems from the Xbox. Here's the weird part, though. This has not always been a problem. This problem tends to come and go for no good reason. At least once I've jiggled the cord on the TV end and fixed the problem.

Anyway, has anyone ever confronted this problem, and if so, what could be the issue? I hope this is in the right forum.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
The title says it all. I've got an Xbox 360 with HDMI output plugged into my JVC HD-ILA. The problem is that every five seconds or so, the audio skips like it's a broken record. For reference, I've had the TV for three years, the Xbox for one.

I've changed cords to no effect. When I plug the same HDMI cord into a satellite receiver, the audio works fine, so it seems the problem stems from the Xbox. Here's the weird part, though. This has not always been a problem. This problem tends to come and go for no good reason. At least once I've jiggled the cord on the TV end and fixed the problem.

Anyway, has anyone ever confronted this problem, and if so, what could be the issue? I hope this is in the right forum.
Does this happen with only certain games? Does the HDMI cable have a nice tight secure connection to the xbox and the t.v?

I have experienced lag in the sound playing Halo 3 using a optical cable (only had it happen once).

J

jbagley77

Enthusiast
It seems to have a tight fitting on both. And no, it happens no matter what game I'm playing.

phlakvest

phlakvest

Audioholic
What do you have the audio settings on the xbox set to?
Have you tried connecting via component and LR audio connectors? does it do the same thing?

nasd90

nasd90

Audioholic
I had the same problem on the XBOX 360, it was weird. Didn't happen on games though, only DVD's and HD-DVD's...

I tried switching the thin gray HDMI cable shipped for the 360 (genuine Microsoft) with a Belkin PureAV steel braided one but no luck. I'm guessing it's some kind of firmware issue, which hopefully gets resolved with the fall update.

The only thing that would cure it was a full reboot, and that worked for a while. And you're right, it didn't happen every time just once in a while.

nasd90

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Try clearing the cache on the xbox 360.

To clear the cache on the Xbox 360 do the following:

Go to the Xbox Dashboard, select the System Blade, and select Memory.
Highlight the HD symbol and press Y.
Press X, X, Left Bumper, Right Bumper, X, X.
You will see a confirmation message to confirm system maintenance, proceed.

Note: Clearing the cache on the Xbox 360 is a fairly simple process, and can be useful if the system seems sluggish, unresponsive, or you just need to get rid of a game update (for whatever reason).

The most important part of clearing the cache is knowing what to expect. All downloaded game updates will be removed. So if you have downloaded an auto-update for a game, in order to play it on Xbox Live you will need to re-download it.

I have done this twice (Oblivion, Fallout 3) and it made a huge difference. It is worth a try to see if it will get rid of the sound issue you are experiencing.

J

jbagley77

Enthusiast
Bother. Right when I started to do what you said, the NXE downloaded. Now it's a whole different menu. I went to the HD menu, but the only options are "Rename" and "Format." I didn't want to format it, so what then?

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Bother. Right when I started to do what you said, the NXE downloaded. Now it's a whole different menu. I went to the HD menu, but the only options are "Rename" and "Format." I didn't want to format it, so what then?
Just enter the code Press X, X, Left Bumper, Right Bumper, X, X on the controller with that screen and a message will pop up and ask you to perform system maintenance (just ignore the rename and format options).

Here is the step by step process with pics.

http://www.360-hq.com/xbox-tutorials-62.html

Cpt.America

Cpt.America

Full Audioholic
Try clearing the cache on the xbox 360.

To clear the cache on the Xbox 360 do the following:

Go to the Xbox Dashboard, select the System Blade, and select Memory.
Highlight the HD symbol and press Y.
Press X, X, Left Bumper, Right Bumper, X, X.
You will see a confirmation message to confirm system maintenance, proceed.

Note: Clearing the cache on the Xbox 360 is a fairly simple process, and can be useful if the system seems sluggish, unresponsive, or you just need to get rid of a game update (for whatever reason).

The most important part of clearing the cache is knowing what to expect. All downloaded game updates will be removed. So if you have downloaded an auto-update for a game, in order to play it on Xbox Live you will need to re-download it.

I have done this twice (Oblivion, Fallout 3) and it made a huge difference. It is worth a try to see if it will get rid of the sound issue you are experiencing.
aaaahhh yes.... the beauty of a microsoft game console.

J

jbagley77

Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies, everyone. Bear, I would try your instructions, but my console is winging its way to M$ Repairs division, after they decided it was a repair issue and were willing to extend my warranty one month post-expiration. I will still clear the cache when it gets back, but hopefully that will solve other problems and this one will already be solved.

As to the sound being completely lost, I was only on NXE Dashboard for a few minutes, but the sound was identical via HDMI as it was before the update. Don't know if it takes awhile to disappear, but it didn't seem to be a problem yet.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I was not optimistic that clearing the cache would solve that problem but it is worth to try anything before sending the console to MS.

I have to give MS credit for extending your warranty past the due date, very nice of them. I know this is not a RROD issue but I wonder if they will just replace your console with a refurbished one?

J

jbagley77

Enthusiast
Well, if I can remember my serial #, I'll let you know if it's different when it comes back to me. I can't recite it from memory, but I think I'll realize if it's substantially different.

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised when the supervisor said he'd make an exception. It did require me going one level above the phone drone, but it was worth pressing.

J

jbagley77

Enthusiast
Well, I got it back today, and it's a replacement console. I haven't hooked it up yet, so I don't know if the issue has been resolved. I'll let you know.

J

jbagley77

Enthusiast
It's hooked up like before. Same problem. I've cleared the cache, though it only took about two seconds and didn't seem to really accomplish anything (i.e., disk space was the same before and after). I'm going to take the box upstairs to my other HDtv and see if it does it up there. This is soooo frustrating.

J

jbagley77

Enthusiast
Well, I guess I could have troubleshot this thing and saved some effort. It's the HDMI port on the TV. I hooked the 360 up to our upstairs TV via HDMI and it didn't skip. OK, so with my limited A/V knowledge, two solutions seem to present themselves:

1. Fix/replace HDMI port on TV.

2. Hook up a 5.1 Dolby sound system and bypass the HDMI for sound.

Are either of these solutions workable? I'd rather not spend a bunch of money on a repair guy, but I don't honestly know if I'm capable of replacing a port myself. Can't be as easy as a lightbulb, can it? On the flip side, is it as simple as hooking up a surround sound system to bypass the HDMI sound? I've never owned one before. If anyone would like to recommend an affordable system, I'm all ears.

Thanks for any assistance rendered, past or future.

strube

strube

Audioholic Field Marshall
Do you only have 1 HDMI port on your TV?

I would just shut off HDMI audio and use the audio dongle that had other audio output options that came with your Microsoft HDMI cable (if you got one), it plugs in underneath the HDMI. If you are only doing stereo to your TV it doesn't really matter if you use analog audio.

If you have a 5.1 system use the optical audio on the same box and enjoy surround gaming.

Last edited:
S

Skuggi

Audiophyte
If your good at soldering you can replace the HDMI port if it's just the port, now if it's a problem with the circuit your somewhat boned.

It's a good thing to know how to solder, saves you a good bunch of money, I learned when I was younger, just got a cheap soldering iron, a battery and some LED's then I went garbage hopping for old VCR's and such that had boards I could solder to.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis