Noob looking to start from scratch

F

fj12003cv

Audiophyte
Hi, I'm a noob to home theatre so hoping for some advice and direction.

I have a room pretty much 13' square and is near enough a blank canvas. We have no neighbours on the external walls and only our bedroom above it. Kids in the process of leaving home, and have been wondering what to do with the room for a few years.will only be my wife and I and friends for the odd occasion. My wife and I dance so want a good music sound system as well, we want to be able to push the sofas back, roll up the carpet and boogie! However, TBH I have no idea where to start and don't have a huge budget. I like my music, wifey does too but not so bothered. We have a Pioneer stereo with turntable that's nice and a stack of vynil that we want to keep. I can buy bits as I go - doesn't all need to be at once. We have a 32" TV but are looking at a projector and have a good size wall that we can use as a screen - i believe you can get projector screen paint? The reciever is my main concern.

I work in IT and my home VMware lab runs a Plex media server which is great! I am in the process of ripping my DVDs to it, and all our digital music is on it.

So - blank canvas, need ideas and guidance. Over to the experts.... :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would start with a two channel system. I would get an AVR and a pair of speakers. For the AVR, I would be looking at a Yamaha, Denon, or Marantz receiver in the $600 range. For speakers, there are lots of good manufacturers. To name just a few, Ascend Acoustics, SVS, Hsu Research, Philharmonic. It depends on how much you can spend after the AVR.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Re: projector screen paint, I recommend against it for that room. Given the dimensions of the room, you're probably looking at a short throw or ultra short throw projector. Even if your wall appears flawless otherwise, a projector will probably reveal flaws you don't see in normal lighting. Shop instead for a fixed frame screen. If the room has a window, look for a gray or silver screen for better contrast, and plan to get some blackout curtains. Projector Central is an excellent resource for searching projectors that meet your throw and feature requirements.

Would you consider building things yourself as diy projects to maximize the performance for the dollar, or would you prefer already finished components? Would refurb or B stock equipment be acceptable?

F

fj12003cv

Audiophyte
Hi guys - many thanks for the advice. Refurb / eBay / B-stock kit is fine, got to start somewhere after all. I'm also looking at buying the kit as I gather the funds so over a period of time.

Planning on doing a DIY build, can't afford a pro and also like the satisfaction of doing it myself. Basically the house was extended 12 years ago and this room was supposed to be my project but never really got finished and has been in use as a general storage and server room. Well - my project has grown a bit... :)

I've seen some revievers on eBay that look good, I know the names well in regard to audio but don't have any connection with their cinema systems.

Thanks for the projector advice. The wall I'm thinking of using it directly opposite a large window so have been looking at blackout blinds already. The room has to be multi-purpose so I have looked at shrt-throw projectors and they do look very interesting. They also look expensive.

selden

selden

Audioholic
Make sure whoever you buy from will let you return the equipment if it doesn't work right. Accessories4Less is a reputable reseller of refurbished equipment with a 1 year manufacturer's warranty.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Are you in the US? When I see the "our" spelling in color, neighbor, etc I gotta wonder :)
A lot of the recommendations so far aren't much good outside the US is why I ask....

What specific gear do you have now in the way of the Pioneer stereo/turntable?

F

fj12003cv

Audiophyte
See - already I'm learning stuff. The kids are going to be sorry they left home :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well accessories4less, Ascend, Philharmonic and Hsu are probably out just on shipping costs alone. SVS does have a distributor in europe I believe. Old or new I was wondering what the specific make/model of your current gear is so compatibility with newer gear could be considered....

VMAT4

VMAT4

Enthusiast
Ascend, Philharmonic and Hsu are, I believe, U.S. speaker brands. It may be worth it at this point to decide if your speakers will be of U.S. or British design.

I believe Cue Acoustics are a British company with well reviewed speakers that you may want to consider.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Other British brands off the top of my head KEF, Bowers & Wilkins, Tannoy, Monitor Audio, Mordaunt-Short, Quad....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis