Noise from Klipsch RF-7 II

D

dartvidar

Audiophyte
Hi have just bought a Klipsch Reference RF-7 II Sorround system. Its connected to a Parasound Halo A51 power amp, and I use AudioQuest Rocket 33 speaker cable. I use a Oppo BDP-103 blueray player connected to a Marantz AV-7701 pre amp (prosessor).
I use balanced XLR cables between the AV-7701 and the Halo A51. When I turn up the volum can I hear some noise coming from the speaker, the noise level is following the volum. What I suspect is the noise is coming from the AV-7701 prosessor. It's no noise if the pre amp is disconected. I know the Klipsch RF-7 is very sensetive speakers so that is maybe the reason for I can hear the noise so well. When I adjusting the volum to 60-70% of max do I hear the noise very well, and this is the volum I use when I wants to play very loude.

How can I reduce this noise? Will it help to buy a more expensive speaker cables (which cable type) or in-line attenuators?
Has anyone had the same problem?

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
You're on the right track, it's coming from the pre. Klipsch sensitivity isn't helping matters.

It could be a simple gain staging issue. Does the Halo have gain controls, and where are they set at? If they are maxed or in the top half of their adjustment, reduce them. You'll have to push a higher signal from the pre, but that will help S/N, hopefully burying the noise. Report back if this works, I'm prone to wild guesses.

edit: I see the Halo does not have gain controls. So much for that idea.

Make sure the grounding switch on the back of the amp is in the proper setting for balanced inputs. Check your cables and connections. Not sure what else to suggest off the top of my head.

Last edited:
N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
It can't get any better than balanced lines, and unless your cables are faulty, more expensive ones will be a waste of money.

With the player disconnected, what kind of noise is it, and at what volume do you hear it?

Edit: I also notice there is a sensitivity control. As Ski2xblack says, it could be a gain staging issue.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
Also, try setting the pre to an input with nothing plugged in [analog, since with a digital input the pre may choose to output nothing]. It's possible that the noise is coming from the connection between the and the oppo.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis