No Water Pressure In Shower Driving Me Crazy!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Folks, I am having a problem with my water pressure when taking a shower. The warmer I turn the water, the worse it gets. What I don't understand is that I have excellent water pressure in my kitchen sink, as well as, my bathroom sink. It does take my commode a bit to fill back up, but nothing too bad. So, why then would my water pressure in my shower suck so badly? :confused::confused::confused: BTW, the shower head is not clogged up either. As such, not really sure what it is. There are no leaks from what I have seen. Please help if you know anything about plumbing. It would be most appreciated. ;):eek:;)

Cheers,

Phil

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Phil, when you say that you have excellent water pressure in those sinks, are you referring to hot water pressure?

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Phil, when you say that you have excellent water pressure in those sinks, are you referring to hot water pressure?
Oh my bad. Actually it is both. Especially, when the water is warm. The sad part is, it takes almost a full 30 minutes or so just to take a shower. I am used to getting in the shower and out within 10 minutes. I am sure there is some sort of water saver and all, but surely it would not cut my water pressure that badly. I have complained to management, but was told that what I have is about as good as it gets..............WTF is going on? Someone told me it could be calcium build up in the water pipes. The laundry room is directly below me and has awesome water pressure. See why I am so confused as none of it makes sense? :confused::eek::confused:

Cheers,

Phil

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Okay, so hot and cold water pressure elsewhere is fine, correct? Cold water pressure in the shower is poor, and hot water pressure in the shower is even worse - correct?

Have you taken the shower head off and tried out the water flow in the shower, both cold and hot? I'm trying to narrow down the causes. Low-flow shower heads tend to have more pressure, not less, so I wouldn't think it would be the shower head unless it was clogged (which you said it isn't). I wonder if the valves are clogged.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Hi Phil,

Something is either clogged or the valve/valves are not opening all the way. I'm betting you have a one valve set-up and some thing isn't functioning proper...Just a guess.:)

Good luck on a quick fix.

-Doug

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Okay, so hot and cold water pressure elsewhere is fine, correct? Cold water pressure in the shower is poor, and hot water pressure in the shower is even worse - correct?

Have you taken the shower head off and tried out the water flow in the shower, both cold and hot? I'm trying to narrow down the causes. Low-flow shower heads tend to have more pressure, not less, so I wouldn't think it would be the shower head unless it was clogged (which you said it isn't). I wonder if the valves are clogged.
Not sure if the valves are clogged. I will take another look at the shower head. Do you think the calcium build up is a possibility? Or, is that a bunch of BS?

Cheers,

Phil

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Not sure if the valves are clogged. I will take another look at the shower head. Do you think the calcium build up is a possibility? Or, is that a bunch of BS?
I don't think that's BS, but I'm not a plumber. To restate, I suggest not just looking at the shower head - take it off and then run the water. If water is flowing out nice and strong, but then comes out in a drizzle when you put the shower head back on - then you know it's the shower head.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan

Cheers,

Phil
Calcium build up is very possible if your water is hard. It usualy will clog the water heater first because of the extreme heat.

majorloser

majorloser

There is an in-line booster pump that can be placed on the hot water line. i believe Grundfos makes a simple pump that can be sweated in copper piping. They are also use to circulate the hot water in the pipe to keep to water hot throughout the house. Talk to a plumber in your area. You may even have a valve partially closed on the hot water line or a restriction in the pipe.

http://www.grundfos.us/web/HOMEus.NSF

If it was just one shower or sink, then it would be a faulty "anti-scalding" device inside the valve cartridge. Easy to replace.

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
If it was just one shower or sink, then it would be a faulty "anti-scalding" device inside the valve cartridge. Easy to replace.
I think that it is just the shower. Phil, is that correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Phil will be back in 30 minutes....he's taking a shower.:D

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Hi Phil,
It's sounds like the problem is mostly localized to your shower. (from what you've said so far)

This may be a simple fix.
The trick is to narrow it down.
If it were me, I'd take off the shower head and see if there is anything obvious clogging it.
If you notice a film of rust and / or calcium, I'd soak it in a plastic bowl of white vinegar, or a rust & scale remover.
While that's soaking, check for water flow without the shower head in place.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
If the faucet can be diverted for showering, does the water come out of the faucet better, or the same? If the faucet's flow is weak, too, it indicates low flow to that valve. If it's better than the shower, I agree that removing the shower head may show that the flow is being restricted. If the head is clogged by minerals, put it in a container filled with vinegar. It will dissolve the minerals easily without damaging the hardware. If the minerals need to be removed manually after they're broken down by the vinegar, use an old tooth brush. If it stops fizzing before the minerals have broken down, dump the vinegar and refill with some that's fresh. Once the acid neutralizes a certain amount, it stops.

CLR works but it can be hard on the plating and some metals, so I would stick to the vinegar.

If the flow to the sink is good but not to the tub, it could be flaky plumbing. My house was plumbed by an idiot, so both bathrooms are on the same water heater, with the second one connected only to the laundry room.

Water heaters need to be maintained and one thing that shouild be done annually is flushing. This removes sediment, rust, algae, etc. Another thing needed is checking the sacrificial anode, which is inserted into the top of the tank and serves to protect the plumbing from galvanic reactions between the pipe and heater or different metals in the plumbing. Typically, if pipe changes from galvanized to copper, a dielectric coupler is used. Also, the cold water pipe is supposed to be grounded at the entrance to the building. That's not so the electrical system can have a place to ground through, it's to keep galvanic action to a minimum and if you know anyone with an outboard motor or stern-drive boat, you'll see zinc plated and parts on the out drive, for protecting the aluminum parts.

J

jamie2112

Banned
Just move and get a new shower..........:D Problem solved,thanks I will be here all week.:D

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I think that it is just the shower. Phil, is that correct?
Yes, it is just the shower. Thanks for all of your suggestions guys. After looking closer at the shower head, it looks like it may be culprit. Maintenance looked at it a few weeks ago and have it on so tight I can't get it off. I think I will just pick up a new shower head and see if that corrects the problem. If not, I will have maintenance check the valves to make sure they are opened properly. Right now, the shower head looks really clogged up. The last time I checked it, it was not clogged that bad. BTW, we certainly have hard water here. I will get a new shower head real soon as the weather breaks. ;):);)

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Phil will be back in 30 minutes....he's taking a shower.:D
LOL..........no wait already had one. What else could he be doing then............LOL!!!!! :eek::eek::eek: Hey, he may even have some female company..............hehe!!!!!! :D:p:D

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Maybe longer...I think that he found the Rachael Ray thread. :p
Wished she was my female company...........LOL!!!! I would be in there for hours not minutes!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Cheers,

Phil

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Maintenance looked at it a few weeks ago and have it on so tight I can't get it off.
Hopefully it is just the shower head, as that's an easy fix. You probably already know this, but be sure to hold on to the pipe coming out of the wall (with your hands or pliers) to keep it from twisting when you try to get the shower head off. It would really suck if you broke something inside the wall.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Hi Phil,
It's sounds like the problem is mostly localized to your shower. (from what you've said so far)

This may be a simple fix.
The trick is to narrow it down.
If it were me, I'd take off the shower head and see if there is anything obvious clogging it.
If you notice a film of rust and / or calcium, I'd soak it in a plastic bowl of white vinegar, or a rust & scale remover.
While that's soaking, check for water flow without the shower head in place.
Yeah, I plan to just get a new shower head and go from there. Before I put it on, I will check out the flow before and after. While maintenance comes to take my shower head off, I will then ask them to check out the valves and make sure they are not closed. Hopefully, this will fix my problem. Thanks for your suggestion as well as those from all of the other posters here. :);):)

Cheers,

Phil

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis