No warranty on Yamaha!

superman180

superman180

Audioholic
I was looking into placing an order for the Yamaha 2500 via the internet, and then I found out that Yamaha would only warranty items bought thru one of their authorized dealers. Is it a wise choice to stick with a dealer or take a chance on the Internet? I understand that it my decision however I would like to here what has been others experiences. :confused:

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
Get a warranty!!

I sell digital products (another field of endevor). The failure rate of digital products may be relatively low, BUT what happens if you get the one lemon? There are a few vendors that offer their own warranties... that is at least something, but who is really enforcing those warranties?

Buy the product from an authorized vendor with the factory warranty and hopefully a nice return policy that allows you to upgrade or exchange the product. Problems do occur with CD transports and other moving parts, but most of the time they are easily fixed.... so skip the extended warranty, unless it is free!!

PS. Look at total cost of the purchase. Freight charges and fees can add up. Always evaluate the total price that you will be paying.

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

I bought my receiver from an online retailer. I must say it was a tough decision to make, so far I have no regrets. He did give me a 2 year warranty with the purchase. So that did help me make the final decision. With my purchase I saved about $350.Which should easily cover any glitches I may run into (even if online store doesn't honor his warranty.)

I would definatly do a lot of research on any online retailer before you buy from them. Like sjdgpt said, sometimes the shipping costs can eliminate any savings you might have had when buying the receiver. Also make sure the store has a physical address and phone number they can be reached at. A phone call isn't a bad idea either.

I guess what my point is, is that I think you can do well either way. However, if you don't feel comfortable buying something w/o a warranty then DON'T.

M

Mr.T

Audioholic
Yes, it has to be an authorized Yamaha dealer, in order to get a Yamaha USA full warranty, because a lot (black market) unrecorded Yamaha equipment comes into USA from God knows where and Yamaha will not honor warranty on those units.

Not a bad place for a vacation!

Attachments

J

JJNab

Audioholic Intern
The reason why I am tending to steer away from both the Yamaha RX and Pioneer Elite lines is exactly the this problem, that you either must pay top dollar from an authorized dealer, usually on in-store sales only, or take your chances with unauthorized online sellers who offer no factory warranty. On the other hand, you can often get great deals on Harman Kardon receivers from Vanns.com or onecall.com (much better prices than any of the authorized dealers in my area, anyway), both of which are factory authorized internet dealers. Check out the new HK 635, it looks awesome at a little over $800.

Cheers,

JJ

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I bought a Yamaha without a warranty and have no regrets. It was a scary purchase, but it also saved me a total of about $300 or so. I found out about One Call for H/K and Yawa for NAD after I had made my receiver purchase. I love my Yamaha, but if I had it to do over again I would get a NAD from Yawa!

Doug917

Doug917

Full Audioholic
Retail matches E-tail

I was going to buy a Rx-V2500 yesterday online and found the best price including shipping would be about $1725, of course this would come with some "MACK" warranty and not the Yamaha. I also needed to repace my surround speakers and my front L-R. Then, of course with new presence channels I have to connect something to them. I have been using mismatched speakers for years. I knew Best Buy had the Klipsch Synergy line of speakers and the HTR-5790 and they would make a deal on what I needed at about 12% off of everything which would have totalled about $2075. I had also been to Ultimate Electronics which had what I needed in the Klispch Reference line but did not come down much on the prices. I went to Ultimate and after spending about an hour looking at and listening to things they would sell me the 2500 and the 8 speakers I required (2 RF25, 4 RS25, 2 RB25) for about $3000 after removing all the 5-year extended warrantys on all the products, which I feel you don't need as both Klipsch and Yamaha make great products and the Klipsch carry a default 5-year warranty and the Yamaha carries a default 2-year warranty. I left the store and on the way out the sales manager stopped me and asked me if I had been satified with the help I received and added he could help me out price-wise since that was the area I told him wasn't right yet. After some discussion, he had discounts of 25% off the already on sale prices RX-V2500 and all of the speakers. I was now at just under $2200. The other surprising thing is I never mentioned buying from a competitor or any prices from a competitor. Maybe retailers are having a bad year. The receiver was sold to me for $717. I could not believe these prices. I have always gotten between 12%-15% from local retailers, but I never dreamed I could get 25%. Before yesterday I would have said buy it online and take your chances, but now I say put the squeeze on your local retailer.

Doug :D

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

In my experience it has always benefitted the customer when they buy a complete system. The retailer will usually give a package discount. I imagine that Ultimate still made a profit on the sale and gained a loyal customer in the process.

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
In the selling game

Everyday somebody is always trying to "negotiate" the purchasing price of something..... But, in my line of work, and I assume in many other fields as well, there is something to be said for the customer that purchases a complete set of products....

think...

"you want fries with that"....

I am sure more agreeable to giving a discount on a group of products than giving a discount on a single product purchase.

L

larry7995

Full Audioholic
I bought an RX-V750 online for $419 plus $21 shipping and I cranked it way loud and it smoked on day three (ouch) fortunately, I was able to ship it back $21 and get an RX-V1500 in it's place for $564, so I am happy that I got the opportunity to upgrade but now I have a receiver that I am uneasy about turning up very loud for fear it will happen again and I will be stuck with no warranty. So with shipping twice I ended up paying $606 but no warranty. I don't know, I would sure like the piece of mind after smoking the first one. On the other hand, I love the receiver, it sounds awesome, now I need to purchase my Axiom M60 speakers :)

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
What speakers were you driving when you toasted the first unit?

L

larry7995

Full Audioholic
I had Bose 301s for mains, and Advent MARBLs for surround. I didn't have center or surround back, I had a powered sub but thats low level output, and I had run the auto setup with that mic, now I have my RX-V1500 hooked up and it isn't very loud at all, I turned it to about -25db and it isn't very loud at all, I did the auto setup with the mic, I don't know if I have something screwed up. I am fearful of turning it up any more till I know if I am doing something wrong.My old Kenwood 100 watt stereo was pretty darned loud at -30db but the 1500 is not near as loud at -30db.

F

FNG

Audiophyte
I bought on-line

I just purchased a Yamaha RX-V2500 online for just $708.82 including shipping. The unit was just $689.00 and the company only charged me $19.82 to ship a couple states away. No sales tax.

I couldn't touch that price in either Tweeter or Nantucket Sound. The company offers a 2 year warranty for $39.00. I didn't buy it, but it comes with a 30 day return policy.

With all of my experience with electronics, if the unit doesn't smoke in the first few days of beating it up a bit, like the post before me, than the unit is most likely going to last for many many years so long as its taken care of and not allowed to get overheated.

I also bought the Axiom Epic 50 HT package. I have never heard the speakers, but from all of the research and comments I have read online I am sure I have a kick *** system. Its just too bad I didn't buy the Speakers 3 days earlier. I got hit with the Axiom price increase of 12.5% by procrastinating a couple days.

But in all, buy shopping on line I got a RX-V2500 and Axiom Epic 50's for $2400. Try doing better than that down the street at Tweeter or your local shop and get a comparable setup.

mcwilson

mcwilson

Audioholic
Research your dealer

I'd say research your (online) dealer as much as you research your equipment. Online purchases can save you a ton of money, but can also increase your hassle if you have any issues with your purchase.

With that said, I bought all my equipment online and am so far very happy with my purchases.

Good luck.

Mark

toquemon

toquemon

Full Audioholic
I got my Yamaha RXV1400 20% off and with a 18 month without interest payments, like 4 months ago. This gave me the opportunity to buy the unique pair of Yamaha NS-300 (discontinued), brand new, that was left in cash at half or their original price. This was a very good deal to me.

This "no interest payments" are for real, because i made my calcutations:

[Original Price of the Receiver x (.8)]/18 = Monthly payment.

Warranty:

Speakers: 5 years.
Receiver: 2 years.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis