No video Yamaha RX-V563

B

becu55

Enthusiast
Ok, as you can tell by the title, I do not have any video coming out of the HDMI on the Yamaha RX-V563. I hear the audio coming out of the receiver to my speakers, but no video goes from the HDMI out to the TV (well, I can't see anything). Also, I have a Samsung Series 7 52" LCD TV, I don't know if that makes a difference. Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks!

B

becu55

Enthusiast
I forgot to add that I believe everything is plugged in correctly for the TV, and my HDMI source is plugged into the DVD in for the receiver.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I forgot to add that I believe everything is plugged in correctly for the TV, and my HDMI source is plugged into the DVD in for the receiver.
You likely have an HDMI compatibility issue. This is most likely an issue between DVD player and receiver. If your receiver is version 1.1 pass through and your DVD player is 1.2, requiring switching repeater architecture, you are SOL.

What happens if you connect the DVD HDMI out directly to the TV? TVs are not required to have repeater architecture although some do, as they are end display devices. The new rules require any device that outputs HDMI to have repeater architecture.

Why, because Hollywood is inhabited by thousands of absolute sewers.

B

becu55

Enthusiast
Directly to the TV it is fine.
I noticed that the receiver is 1.2a in the manual and I assume that PS3 is 1.3a and I know that the cables are specified for 1.3a. Is there a way to update the receiver (I would assume not).

Can you also explain to me what SOL means?

Thanks

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I noticed that the receiver is 1.2a in the manual and I assume that PS3 is 1.3a and I know that the cables are specified for 1.3a. Is there a way to update the receiver (I would assume not).
No, and it won't be necessary anyway. The HDMI versions offer increasing features and slight changes in bandwidth requirements (amount of data it can carry). Your issue is either a configuration error or an HDCP handshake error (which is sometimes solved by the suggestion of turning the TV off and back on - the TV should be on first otherwise the receiver will get no reply during the HDCP handshake).

I'd bet on the configuration error. You have to assign the HDMI inputs so it knows for example that HDMI input 1 should be used when you press the DVD input selector. There is probably also a menu setting to indicate that you want the video to be sent out the HDMI out.

Can you also explain to me what SOL means?
Sh!t out of luck.

B

becu55

Enthusiast
I don't know if I completely understand what you mean by assigning them, would this be in some sort of menu? If it helps, whenever I have my PlayStation 3 plugged into the receiver, the HDMI light pops up. I also have it plugged into the DVD HDMI port, and the source is selected to DVD. I think this situation may have gotten worse, because before I could see a fuzzy screen with sound from the PS3, but now I do not get any signal.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I don't know if I completely understand what you mean by assigning them, would this be in some sort of menu? If it helps, whenever I have my PlayStation 3 plugged into the receiver, the HDMI light pops up. I also have it plugged into the DVD HDMI port, and the source is selected to DVD. I think this situation may have gotten worse, because before I could see a fuzzy screen with sound from the PS3, but now I do not get any signal.
Your HDMI versions are compatible, so this must be an input assignment issue. Some where in the menus there will be a menu that assigns inputs. I can't download Yamaha product manuals without registering with them and therefore getting spamed by them. I have already made that mistake with Pioneer. I'm not really interested in their Far Eastern junk.

B

becu55

Enthusiast
Ok, I looked into that, but the input assignments I believe are different than what you think.

Here's a link to the pdf, it took a little while for it to load for me, the setup menu section starts on page 63.

All I see is the set up for the settings of the input, like whether it should be treated as a dvd or as a dtv/cable source.

Also, the priority order of the audio and video signals are shown on page 15, and is as follows:
1. HDMI
2. Component Video
3. S Video
4. Video

It also says "When some digital video signals are input at the HDMI IN DVD or HDMI IN DTV/CBL jack, the video conversion function does not work," but I don't think that makes a difference.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
All I see is the set up for the settings of the input, like whether it should be treated as a dvd or as a dtv/cable source.

Page 71 - Input assignment. It's not that an input is treated as a DVD or other source, they are all the same. The label is for human purposes. Any input that has audio and video can be used for any device that has audio and video. My cable box is connected to Video 2 because my receiver doesn't have an input labeled 'cable'.

Input assignment associates an input selector with one of the HDMI ports (likewise for coax and optical audio inputs). So if you connect the DVD player to HDMI IN 1, you assign HDMI IN 1 to DVD. When you select DVD, the receiver will look for the audio and video at the HDMI IN 1 port. You could just as easily use any of the other ones.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Ok, I looked into that, but the input assignments I believe are different than what you think.

Here's a link to the pdf, it took a little while for it to load for me, the setup menu section starts on page 63.

Also, the priority order of the audio and video signals are shown on page 15, and is as follows:
1. HDMI
2. Component Video
3. S Video
4. Video

It also says "When some digital video signals are input at the HDMI IN DVD or HDMI IN DTV/CBL jack, the video conversion function does not work," but I don't think that makes a difference.
Here is the relevant information. I sympathise with you. These ghastly receivers really are loaded to the gills with useless and undesirable functions. The manuals are in pigeon English to boot!

Now there is an auto select function, but somehow I feel inclined not to trust it. I would set the DVD input to HDMI manually as indicated below.

It makes me pine for the good old days when we knew the owners, managing directors and designers personally. That was more often than not, one and the same individual. You could enter into intelligent technical discussions and seriously influence the way gear was designed and presented .

I have to say it is my equipment from that era I cherish the most, and is actually to a large extent the foundation of my system.

This unit comes with a variety of input jacks. Use this
feature (audio input jack select) to switch between input
jacks when more than one input jack is assigned to as the
same input source.
y
• We recommend setting the audio input jack select to “AUTO”
in most cases.
• You can adjust the default audio input jack select of this unit by
using “AUDIO SELECT” in “OPTION MENU” (see page 74).
Press SAUDIO SELECT (or press 5AMP and
then FAUDIO SEL) repeatedly to select the
desired audio input jack select setting.
This feature is not available when no digital input jacks
(OPTICAL, COAXIAL and HDMI) are assigned. In addition,
HDMI is not available as an audio input jack select setting when
the HDMI IN DVD and HDMI IN DTV/CBL jacks are not used.
Use “INPUT ASSIGNMENT” in “INPUT MENU” to reassign
the respective input jack (see page 71).
Use this feature to select the component connected to the
MULTI CH INPUT jacks (see page 19) as the input
source.
Press RINPUTl / h repeatedly (or press
5AMP and then EMULTI CH IN) to select
MULTI CH.
“MULTI CH” appears in the front panel display.
y
Use “MULTI CH SET” menu in “INPUT MENU” to set the
parameters for MULTI CH INPUT (see page 72).
The input signals are amplified and output directly without sound
processing. Therefore, you cannot activate sound field programs,
the night listening mode, etc. while MULTI CH is selected as the
input source.
Selecting audio input jacks
(AUDIO SELECT)
AUDIO SELECT Function
AUTO Automatically selects input signals in the
following order: (1) HDMI (2) Digital
signals (3) Analog signals
HDMI Selects only HDMI signals. When HDMI
signals are not input, no sound is output.
COAX/OPT Selects only digital signals. When no
signals are input, no sound is output.
ANALOG Selects only analog signals. If no analog
signals are input, no sound is output.
Note
MULTI CH DVR V-AUX DTV/CBL DVD MD/CD-R CD TUNER XM SIRIUS
A.SEL:AUTO
Currently selected audio input jack select setting
Available input

B

becu55

Enthusiast
MDS- I understand that, I was trying to say that but I think it just came out wrong.

I think I have narrowed down to the problem device to be the receiver. I have been able to try different cables (which probably will not change anything), but I have noticed that I will get no video through the receiver AND the audio cuts in an out at about 1 second intervals. This goes for the PS3 and the DVD Upconverter with an HDMI output.

Any thoughts?

I forgot to add something important: Once I unplug the HDMI from the receiver to the TV from the TV, the sound does not cut out anymore, it stays consistent.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

MDS- I understand that, I was trying to say that but I think it just came out wrong.

I think I have narrowed down to the problem device to be the receiver. I have been able to try different cables (which probably will not change anything), but I have noticed that I will get no video through the receiver AND the audio cuts in an out at about 1 second intervals. This goes for the PS3 and the DVD Upconverter with an HDMI output.

Any thoughts?
If you are getting audio, but intermittently from HDMI and no picture output, it sounds like an HDMI handshake problem. Obviously the input must be assigned to HDMI, or you would have nothing.

We need more info. What happens if you connect the DVD player to the TV directly via HDMI?

Do you have another device that outputs HDMI that you can connect to your receiver? If so, what happens when you connect that to your receiver?

This sort of thing is the curse of these HDCP codes that got foistered on the HDMI interface by the sewers in Hollywood.

B

becu55

Enthusiast
If you are getting audio, but intermittently from HDMI and no picture output, it sounds like an HDMI handshake problem. Obviously the input must be assigned to HDMI, or you would have nothing.

We need more info. What happens if you connect the DVD player to the TV directly via HDMI?

Do you have another device that outputs HDMI that you can connect to your receiver? If so, what happens when you connect that to your receiver?

This sort of thing is the curse of these HDCP codes that got foistered on the HDMI interface by the sewers in Hollywood.
Well, I just plugged in my Sony HD Camcorder through HDMI and its different for this, the audio plays fine, but the video does not come through at all. Also, the cutting in and out effect occurs for both the PlayStation 3 and the HDMI DVD player, and when I connect these to the TV directly, everything works properly, including the camcorder. I don't know that this has any impact, but all of these devices are made by Sony. I do not have any other devices that output HDMI besides the Xbox 360 but I need an adapter for that (I have the original that does not have an HDMI output).

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Well, I just plugged in my Sony HD Camcorder through HDMI and its different for this, the audio plays fine, but the video does not come through at all. Also, the cutting in and out effect occurs for both the PlayStation 3 and the HDMI DVD player, and when I connect these to the TV directly, everything works properly, including the camcorder. I don't know that this has any impact, but all of these devices are made by Sony. I do not have any other devices that output HDMI besides the Xbox 360 but I need an adapter for that (I have the original that does not have an HDMI output).
It seems your Yamaha has significant HDMI issues. Since it passes audio, it should have repeater architecture and be a true switching device. It do not specifically state that in the specs. Make sure from Yamaha that your receiver has fully HDCP compliant repeater switching architecture. If not exchange it for something else. If it does, send it in for warranty service or replacement.

B

becu55

Enthusiast
Yea, I am thinking that too. Thanks a lot for your help!

B

becu55

Enthusiast
OK, took it to exchange at Best Buy, tested it out there and it didn't work so it was assumed defective, got an exchange that was tested and worked, brought it home, and now I am getting the same symptoms as before. Anybody else have any other ideas? I know this is becoming borderline annoying, but I think I'll have to go to a different brand if this doesn't work out.

Thanks.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

OK, took it to exchange at Best Buy, tested it out there and it didn't work so it was assumed defective, got an exchange that was tested and worked, brought it home, and now I am getting the same symptoms as before. Anybody else have any other ideas? I know this is becoming borderline annoying, but I think I'll have to go to a different brand if this doesn't work out.

Thanks.
Take that receiver back to Best Buy, with your DVD player and your cables. Make them prove that it will output HDMI to one of their sets. If it does, then the hand shake issue is between your receiver and your TV. How long is your cable to the TV by the way? I assume the others are short.

I have a feeling you may have poor grade cables, have you swapped them out?

Do not assume another brand of receiver will solve this without further investigation. This HDMI/HDCP interface is a touchy, troublesome mess.

B

becu55

Enthusiast
I have also tried Phillips (sp?) and that does not work either. I have HDMI cables from Monoprice.com, and one of my thoughts is that could it be possible that these cables are shorting out the HDMI board? I tried these first before I tried the Phillips so it could have been fried before the Phillips got plugged in.

I think I am going to bring my Phillips cables with me and try out another at the store. If it works, then I will try the Phillips first. Would that make sense?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis