M

MeAgain

Audiophyte
Searched but did not find my issue. Bought VSX-522-K, all works well except sourround sound speakers at rear of room. They are found with both auto and manual tests, and I can vary volume in testing for each, but they do not work when TV or iPhone is on. Fronts work fine. Have gone through all settings in menu and can find nothing I'm missing, although I must be missing something, huh? Using DTV HD DVR receiver, HDMI to AV rec'r, HDMI to TV. Again, all works fine except no sound from speakers 3 and 4 at rear of room. Speakers 3 and 4 (rear)are the same models (in wall) as speakers 1 and 2 (front). Any suggestions would be welcome.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
Double check DVR settings. Make sure it's set to surround.

O

Onkyo ht-s5400

Audiophyte
Yes my receiver in surround sound mode , i have bought an Onkyo SS 5400 and i love it! It is a 7.1 channel. I must admit there are better home theater, but you can't beat the price of an Onkyo :D

Last edited by a moderator:
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Both those sources you mantion are two channel (stereo) sources. As such, they will play out of the front two speakers.

if you want to use all your speakers (not get a true multi-channel sound, though) you need to search your manual/menus for something like "all channel stereo" or some such that will force sound from all your speakers from a two channel signal.

G

Grador

Both those sources you mantion are two channel (stereo) sources. As such, they will play out of the front two speakers.

if you want to use all your speakers (not get a true multi-channel sound, though) you need to search your manual/menus for something like "all channel stereo" or some such that will force sound from all your speakers from a two channel signal.
HDTV is most certainly not stereo.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You presume much, grasshopper.

HDTV is most certainly not stereo.
How do you know how he's got it connected? But, you might have a point. When I watch reruns of "The Honeymooners", it's in mono.

G

Grador

Because he says he's using hdmi from DVR to receiver........ Anyway, that's a sidestep, an HD DVR is still a surround source, hooking it up incorrectly doesn't change that.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Well, you're really great at pointing out what you see as errors in my suggestions.

Howsa bout you chime in with some of your own suggestions to help correct OP's problem?

G

Grador

I did, post #4, but it's pretty important for the OP to know that he DOES have a surround source as he's trying to sort this out.

Seriously though, what's with the attitude? You said something incorrect that could lead the OP astray and I just wanted to make sure he stayed on track.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You're in no position to criticize my attitude, boy. Look at your curt response to my post.

Didn't anyone ever teach you tact and/or manners?

If you have a differing OPINION, then simply state your OPINION and leave it be. There's no need to confront me, or anyone, to try to prove your schlong is bigger. That's junior high stuff and you're among adults (of all ages) here. Please act like one.

While we're at it, please explain why "The Honeymooners" reruns comes out in mono.

(hint) The source may be a valid MC source but the program might only be stereo, or even mono as I demonstrated above ...twice.

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Btw, Mark is absolutely right that not all HDTV shows are in surround sound. PBS here just recently upgraded from stereo to surround, for example, so all of their shows used to be in stereo regardless of the source audio.

ahblaza

ahblaza

To the Op, run HDMI from your HD DVR to your display and optical or coaxial cable from DVR to receiver, you may have to assign the digital output in your receiver, then check the DVR's stations or movies and note if they are 5.1 and fire it up and see what your receiver's window says and listen for other speaker output. Hope this helps.
Cheers Jeff

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
Do you have a DVD and/or Blu-ray player? Do the movies give surround?

M

MeAgain

Audiophyte
Thanks to all of you for suggestions, and for the entertaining "spat" mid-stream. I am not an audiophyle, but I understand electronics enough to know any suggestion might be the one I need, so thanks. I really am stumped as I've tried pretty much everything mentioned. So far, I have run the 60" Aquos TV and my iphone through the rec'r. Again, in both cases, all works well, except that the two rear in-wall speakers do not respond, although as I said earlier, in test mode they do. I will hook up a Blu-Ray today and see if I get anything from a DVD.

G

Grador

Exactly what sound mode is selected, and what lights are lit on the display when you're watching TV? At this point some more information would help to give better suggestions. If a DVD gives you surround check to see what is different on the receivers display.

M

MeAgain

Audiophyte
OK, after doing the "shopping with the wife" duty over the weekend I had a chance to get back to problem solving on my issue. Turns out that, as one of you said earlier, I was trying to get 4 channel output from a 2 channel source, but the receiver does have a setting for that. Under the four listening mode choices, using Advanced Surround, the very last option setting among the 8 is Ext. Stereo, which allows 2 channel stereo sound to play from the four speakers, or basic surround sound. It's all I want from the TV. So relieved to know the unit will do what I want. Later, I will hook up the Blu Ray and see how DVD's play.
Incidentally, I understand that instruction booklets for this type of equipment are generally written for people with some knowledge, but a comprehensive glossary of terms would sure help. All the acronyms and abbreviations are very confusing to the average guy. Still, thanks to all for the input.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis