No sound from subwoofer

J

jrsadfish

Audiophyte
Hi, I have recently received a new sound system for my home theater. I have a Onkyo TX-SR604 receiver, 2 Bose 301 Series III front speakers, a Bose VCS-10 Center Speaker, 2 KLH surround sound speakers, and a Yamaha YST-SW215 subwoofer. I plugged everything in and all of the speakers work, expect for the subwoofer. I bought a new cable thinking it was that and it was not. I have subwoofer switched to 'yes' in the setup menu as well. The sub is also receiving power. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
First, see if the sub itself is working. Plug any source (CD player, Ipod. whatever) into it's line-level input and see if it makes noise. It may not be typical subwoofer material but it should send enough bass signal through to the speaker to let you know if it's working.

It it still doesn't make any noise, you've got a bad sub. If it does work, you know the problem is probably in the receiver's setup.

You also might want to see what level the sub is set at, both on it and in the receiver.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
3.5mm - RCA Y cable like this one, plug the RCA end into input 2 on the back of your sub, plug the 3.5mm plug into the headphone jack of your mobile phone / iPod / whatever, make sure your sub is plugged in and powered on, and play a song. It'll probably sound like you're listening underwater, but you should hear something if your sub isn't dead.

Unrelated, unless you consciously flipped the phase switch to the "rev" setting for a good reason, you should put it back on normal phase. That's completely unrelated to the problem you're having though.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
although you have the sub set to yes, do you have the mains set to small?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
If you have a CD or DVD player with red/white analog outputs, a simple RCA interconnect is all you need. What Rojo suggested is perfect for a walkman type device with only a headphone output

J

jrsadfish

Audiophyte
Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys, but still nothing coming out of the sub no matter what I try. I'm going to take it somewhere to have it looked at and priced to get fixed.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis