No sound from subwoofer

R

rocketkid

Enthusiast
I have searched for the answer but have not found exactly what I am looking to find out. My problem is that I have a Dynaudio Sub500 connected to a Denon 3806 and there is no sound coming out of the subwoofer.

I have checked and verified to ensure that all connections are properly connected....RG59 cable running from receiver sub out to input for LFE on subwoofer. I have attempted to set the subwoofer on the receiver, however I have not been successful since my subwoofer LED lights do not light up (meaning no signal is being processed).

I am hoping that someone can shed some light as to what I need to do in order to get my subwoofer working.

Thanks in advance!

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
- Is the subwoofer set to 'on' or 'yes' in the receiver setup menus?

- Is the volume control on the sub set at some setting above zero?

- Do you have the other speakers setup in the receiver setup menus and set to Small? If they are all set to Large there will be no sub signal (unless the receiver also offers a subwoofer mode like 'both' or 'lfe+main').

- Is the receiver set to a processing mode other than 'direct' or 'pure direct' (neither will send a signal to the sub).

- Is the subwoofer getting power from the outlet? Try changing from auto-on to just on if the sub offers those settings.

R

rocketkid

Enthusiast
MDS said:
- Is the subwoofer set to 'on' or 'yes' in the receiver setup menus?

- Is the volume control on the sub set at some setting above zero?
Unfortunately the only way to control the volume settings is via the remote control that accompanies the sub, since I don't see the LED's lighting up the remote is useless:(

- Do you have the other speakers setup in the receiver setup menus and set to Small? If they are all set to Large there will be no sub signal (unless the receiver also offers a subwoofer mode like 'both' or 'lfe+main').
I have changed all other speakers to small and no luck. I have also tried combinations with both 'LFE' and 'LFE+main'

- Is the receiver set to a processing mode other than 'direct' or 'pure direct' (neither will send a signal to the sub).
Thanks. I will verify that I have the proper processing mode.

- Is the subwoofer getting power from the outlet? Try changing from auto-on to just on if the sub offers those settings.
One thing I just thought is to check the fuse on the subwoofer, I will also try a different outlet
Thanks for the help, I will report back the results when I get home tonight.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
some more possibilities,

1) Sub not working (if you hear a soft muffled thump when you turn the sub on, it should be ok.)
1b) sub input not working
2) Receiver sub out not working (connect the cable to the L or R out and see if that works, just to help isolate the issue)
3) You have the cable plugged into the wrong connection at the back of the receiver
4) Make sure you are using digital connections from the source to receiver. If you are using analog, you should have 6 wires going to the Ext. In inputs. If not, there will be no signal for the receiver to send to the sub on the Sub Out connection
4b) You are not using material with the .1 (LFE channel), again there will be no signal for the receiver to send to the sub on the Sub Out connection

R

rocketkid

Enthusiast
agarwalro said:
some more possibilities,

1) Sub not working (if you hear a soft muffled thump when you turn the sub on, it should be ok.)
When I first powered up the sub, I did hear a short buzz noise
2) Receiver sub out not working (connect the cable to the L or R out and see if that works, just to help isolate the issue)
not sure what you mean, but there is only one sub out on the receiver
3) You have the cable plugged into the wrong connection at the back of the receiver
verified the connections and connections are per manual instructions on receiver and subwoofer (subout on receiver and LFE input on subwoofer
4) Make sure you are using digital connections from the source to receiver. If you are using analog, you should have 6 wires going to the Ext. In inputs. If not, there will be no signal for the receiver to send to the sub on the Sub Out connection
4b) You are not using material with the .1 (LFE channel), again there will be no signal for the receiver to send to the sub on the Sub Out connection
I tried playing a dvd and regular tv, but no luck.
I am a bit fustrated why there is no sound. I will try connecting it to my second receiver in an effort to isolate the problem. Still open to other suggestions.

goodman

goodman

Full Audioholic
Look for the input button on your Denon receiver. It should cycle through three functions:"automatic", "PCM", and "DTS". It should work fine on either "automatic" or "PCM". However, with the input button set to "DTS", there will be no sound unless your source is "DTS".

Last edited:
AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Have you tried running the receiver's test tone to see if the sub plays anything?

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
agarwalro said:
2) Receiver sub out not working
I mean that it is possible that your receiver might have an internal problem on the sub out connection.

The sub does not have to be connected to the Sub Out connection to work. As long as you any some audio being routed to the receiver it will be available on the Left and Right pre-out connecitons. I was recommending you use these by plugging the sub cable into one of them.

Hope that helps.

T

tjlmbklr

Junior Audioholic
agarwalro said:
some more possibilities,

I agree with that!

R

rocketkid

Enthusiast
goodman said:
Look for the input button on your Denon receiver. It should cycle through three functions:"automatic", "PCM", and "DTS". It should work fine on either "automatic" or "PCM". However, with the input button set to "DTS", there will be no sound unless your source is "DTS".
I tried cycling it through the three functions and I am only able to hear sound from the speakers on "automatic", but still no sound from the sub.

R

rocketkid

Enthusiast
agarwalro said:
I mean that it is possible that your receiver might have an internal problem on the sub out connection.

The sub does not have to be connected to the Sub Out connection to work. As long as you any some audio being routed to the receiver it will be available on the Left and Right pre-out connecitons. I was recommending you use these by plugging the sub cable into one of them.

Hope that helps.
If I understand you correctly, I connected the sub to a pre-out connection on the receiver (other than the sub out connection) but still no sound. This tells me that my sub-out connection is not the issue. I was unable to test it on my second receiver since it is a very old unit and did not have a connection for it.

I also checked the fuse on the subwoofer and I was unable to tell if it was no good since it has this paper like layer in the center with the exception of the ends. I will be purchasing a replacement fuse....hoping that the fuse is the culprit.

Any other thoughts?

R

rocketkid

Enthusiast
AVRat said:
Have you tried running the receiver's test tone to see if the sub plays anything?
This was the first thing I did and I did not get a tone from the sub. The sub will not switch on at all....I have checked the AC main cable and have plugged it in to different outlet. All connections have been properly connected.

I will take a break and try to reset factory settings on sub after I pick up a fresh fuse.

R

rocketkid

Enthusiast
fuse was the culprit for no sound

well, after a few weeks of searching for a ceramic slo-blow fuse I finally found a place that carried the exact fuse. I came to find out that my sub is blowing my fuse as soon as I turn it on....I will be contacting a dynaudio authorized service store to have this fixed.

Any ideas what might be causing the fuse to blow on the sub?

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
rocketkid said:
well, after a few weeks of searching for a ceramic slo-blow fuse I finally found a place that carried the exact fuse. I came to find out that my sub is blowing my fuse as soon as I turn it on....I will be contacting a dynaudio authorized service store to have this fixed.

Any ideas what might be causing the fuse to blow on the sub?
sounds like a problem with the amp module, better let the service store fix it.

cheers:)

R

rocketkid

Enthusiast
MACCA350 said:
sounds like a problem with the amp module, better let the service store fix it.

cheers:)

Thanks, I will definitely let them fix it!

J

jomay

Audiophyte
If the led indicator in the subwoofer doesn't light, is that means also that the fuse already blew out?

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
If the led indicator in the subwoofer doesn't light, is that means also that the fuse already blew out?
It is better to make your own topic than post in 9 year old topic. One possibility is that fuse has gone but there are other possibilities as well. Make your own topic with all the info you have and I'm sure people can help you better.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis