No Sound From Laptop

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
The motto to adopt is 'Cut and fit we do our best, paint and caulk will do the rest.'
Go get 'em, Tiger. (... not Woods.)
Amen to that. I can't glue two boards together straight and use that very motto. :D

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
You wouldn't say that if you knew about the other word I learned that day.
Meat knows stuff but I gotta wonder about what he's up to in his off time. :confused: :D
I wasn't clear in my post when I mentioned "learning from others."
I was talking about learning in general, and in your case, learning new computer stuff.:)

Crown molding:
I got so used to cutting it on a chop saw upside down, I ended up still doing it that way with a compound miter saw.:D
I did get the crown stops for the 12" DeWalt though.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I did get the crown stops for the 12" DeWalt though.
That's like training wheels. I still think that the using the compound miter with a single locked bevel is more accurate but I'll defer to your greater experience ... grudgingly.

The thing about finish work is that you have to look at it all the time. I will concede that only a pro would know where to look for poor workmanship.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
That's like training wheels.
Your right about training wheels;:D they do help on long pieces, when your trying to move it a hair, and the long unsupported end keeps bouncing while trying to true up the cut end in the saw. I didn't have one of those cool adjustable roller stands.

I still think that the using the compound miter with a single locked bevel is more accurate
I agree, it was just hard to change, after having a system down for so long.

The thing about finish work is that you have to look at it all the time.
Very true; I can't keep myself from looking at trim work, or how electrical conduit is run.

You know now that you mention it; I did every stick of trim in my house, and after ten years some gaps open up when the weather is dry.
Before putting it up, I let it dry in my basement with a dehumidifier and put two coats BIN primer on both sides. Hoping to control some movement when the moisture levels changed in the house. You can't win, with the framing moving a bit from the same moisture.:(

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
You're output device is likely set to the sound blaster.
Well, I have to hand it to ya. You nailed it in Post#3.

You want to go to Sounds under the Control Panel. There you can set your default sound card back to your sound card.
Not complaining but you didn't say 'how'. Clearly you knew something but some people need their hand held. I admit that when somebody displays my level of stupidity with speaker wire and Bose speakers I suspect them of being an ... whoa ... family forum!

I also suggest removing the Creative software(not the driver)
HOW?HOW?HOW?
... but if it messes up REW I will find you. :eek:

Try to remember the last time it worked and what "audio" changes you made since then.
That's like telling somebody who lost their keys to try to remember where they put them. :p

Sometimes you can fix it by looking at the last update.
That's confusing and vague.

Another bolder move, and it works more that 90% of the time ...
That's just scary.

P.S. - Thanks for all the rep points---
Didn't Adam teach you not to kiss and tell?

You can manage your sound with Windows and you'll get more reliable results.
The 64 bit driver is sort of skimpy: not as many options as the tutorial at HTS has showing for this sound card with a 32 bit driver and I have absolutely no idea how to do that stuff. I'm starting to think that you might whisper to the deaf and wink at the blind.

I honestly would be surprised if you had a 64 bit OS, Alex.
Hah !!! :p

there might be something to your onboard sound device being disabled in BIOS, however, I don't really know how that could happen without you doing it, and I don't think you would.
Finally somebody who hasn't under estimated my ignorance ... but on my desktop I actually did go into my BIOS to disable my integrated(?) soundcard after having installed some rebuilt Creative toy that Adam recommended for $20.

I didn't have one of those cool adjustable roller stands.
... peasant.

after ten years some gaps open up when the weather is dry.
That's where the art of coping reduces the issue by 50% and the direction of the cope hides that small flaw even further ... but I only cope from a counter clockwise approach and let the chips fall where they may. :rolleyes:

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Well, I have to hand it to ya. You nailed it in Post#3.

Not complaining but you didn't say 'how'. Clearly you knew something but some people need their hand held. I admit that when somebody displays my level of stupidity with speaker wire and Bose speakers I suspect them of being an ... whoa ... family forum!

HOW?HOW?HOW?
... but if it messes up REW I will find you. :eek:

That's like telling somebody who lost their keys to try to remember where they put them. :p

That's confusing and vague.

That's just scary.

Didn't Adam teach you not to kiss and tell?

The 64 bit driver is sort of skimpy: not as many options as the tutorial at HTS has showing for this sound card with a 32 bit driver and I have absolutely no idea how to do that stuff. I'm starting to think that you might whisper to the deaf and wink at the blind.

Hah !!! :p

Finally somebody who hasn't under estimated my ignorance ... but on my desktop I actually did go into my BIOS to disable my integrated(?) soundcard after having installed some rebuilt Creative toy that Adam recommended for $20.

... peasant.

That's where the art of coping reduces the issue by 50% and the direction of the cope hides that small flaw even further ... but I only cope from a counter clockwise approach and let the chips fall where they may. :rolleyes:
^^LOTR^^ posting style:p

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
It's all coped where possible.
Some splices open a little with the dry winter air. I just have to stop looking.:D It's probably time time for a repaint it's been ten years...just don't tell my wife.:D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
^^LOTR^^ posting style:p
I wouldn't have called for his head if I'd a known how much work it took. :p
That took me forever. :eek:

It's probably time time for a repaint it's been ten years...just don't tell my wife.:D
If I ever meet her I'm gonna have to point that stuff out to her. :D
A friend of ours was over and mentioned that our bathroom light was rather hideous. Of course I had no peace until I swapped the damn thing out.

So now I'm on the couch like a fat cat jammin' out some Feel Good Inc on the main system via my laptop/router/soundcard just like one of the cool kids. I got some super long Monster Component Video 2 Cable from The Gov'na that I'm using to hook up the sound cards SPDIF and analog Left and Right just to make sure it all works. I noticed sound coming out of the speakers which went away when I yanked the analog connection and just used the Coaxial connection.

I suppose this is telling me that the noise floor of my rec'r's DAC is better than the sound cards? ... and how is this going to affect REW?

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis