No sound from center channel in new HT hookup

S

steve3d

Audiophyte
Newbie here…please be gentle!

Denon 3313ci hooked up to Klipsch RF-82 II fronts and a Klipsch RC-62 II center. No back speakers in current configuration. Mostly listen to music…bought the RC-62 thinking the center channel would be nice when watching movies, playing vid games…stuff like that.

Here’s my problem. Denon amp config is set to MAIN…which if I understand things correctly should ‘open up’ the use of not just the fronts but also the center channel. Receiver Speaker config has both Fronts and Center ON, Subwoofer OFF. Surround set to NONE. Running Audyssey during setup the center speaker IS recognized (have sound from). After saving settings…I have no sound coming from the center speaker. Have checked speaker connections on back of Denon…RC-62 hooked into CENTER.

What am I missing in setting things up? Is it in not having an optical digital audio cable on hand to connect the TV, PS3 box and/or Bluray player to the receiver? The Denon manual isn’t real clear on whether an optical cable is needed…not knowing any more than I do…it’s just my hunch.

Any help guys? I’m pullin’ my hair out!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Newbie? You've been around for five years. :p :D

Congrats on the nice gear. The center channel will only be used if the sound mode selected includes a center channel signal. So, some questions:

1. How do you have your gear (TV, PS3 box and/or Bluray player) connected to the receiver? Is it just left/right RCA cables?

2. What surround mode(s) have you tried?

S

steve3d

Audiophyte
Problem solved!

Adam...thanks for offering to help. Just needed to review the manual as little closer. At 182 pages...I just hadn't gone far enough in.

The solution to getting the center channel to work actually came by simply switching one of the options on the receiver remote. The remote has 4 different 'sound modes' you can choose from. 'Movie' - 'Music' - Game' - 'Pure'. The trick in getting sound out of the center channel was simply to use either the 'Movie' mode or the 'Game' mode. I had been using the 'Music' mode...which utilizes only the 2 front speakers. Once the switch was made...everything worked fine.

Sorry for the needless thread. I definitely learned something.

T

tvkelley

Audiophyte
Problem solved!

Adam...thanks for offering to help. Just needed to review the manual as little closer. At 182 pages...I just hadn't gone far enough in.

The solution to getting the center channel to work actually came by simply switching one of the options on the receiver remote. The remote has 4 different 'sound modes' you can choose from. 'Movie' - 'Music' - Game' - 'Pure'. The trick in getting sound out of the center channel was simply to use either the 'Movie' mode or the 'Game' mode. I had been using the 'Music' mode...which utilizes only the 2 front speakers. Once the switch was made...everything worked fine.

Sorry for the needless thread. I definitely learned something.
Thanks! I have the exact same setup, just hooked up my new center speaker and couldn't figure out how to play it in the manual or online until I came across your post. It configured correctly, and was set up right, but was just silent. I hit the 'Movie' button on my AVR and voila it worked! That was a long journey for a fairly simple answer, and I'm glad you took the time to come back here to post it. Thanks again!

A

aflosi

Audiophyte
Thanks! I have the exact same setup, just hooked up my new center speaker and couldn't figure out how to play it in the manual or online until I came across your post. It configured correctly, and was set up right, but was just silent. I hit the 'Movie' button on my AVR and voila it worked! That was a long journey for a fairly simple answer, and I'm glad you took the time to come back here to post it. Thanks again!
Guys, I have the same problem over here. Avr E300 Denon Receiver, with Klipsch C-20 (center) and a pair of B-20.
I cant manage to make the center speaker work. And like all you guys, receiver Speaker config has both Fronts and Center ON, Subwoofer OFF. Surround set to NONE. Running Audyssey during setup the center speaker IS recognized.

I've already tried to change to Movie sound mode, no response.

Someone please give me a hand!!!

Thanks

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Guys, I have the same problem over here. Avr E300 Denon Receiver, with Klipsch C-20 (center) and a pair of B-20.
I cant manage to make the center speaker work. And like all you guys, receiver Speaker config has both Fronts and Center ON, Subwoofer OFF. Surround set to NONE. Running Audyssey during setup the center speaker IS recognized.

I've already tried to change to Movie sound mode, no response.

Someone please give me a hand!!!

Thanks
Like Adam already posted, what is your method of connection from source to recvr, that will play a big part in which signal you are receiving.

K

kzaudiovideo

Banned
It's always good to read manuals prior to installation.:)

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
It's always good to read manuals prior to installation.:)
But it's even better to come here and get answers from some of the most intelligent audiophiles on the net, learn new approaches to your HT , and be a part of a community that does not have a problem helping other enthusiasts, every once in while there is some smart a&& looking to be a dipstick though. I guess you get that every where lol.

* A little side note, some folks can read the manual cover to cover and still miss the simplest of applications, it really can be a lot to learn at a faster than usual pace in an effort to get things up and running, I have missed details in the 199 page elite manual as well.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
* A little side note, some folks can read the manual cover to cover and still miss the simplest of applications, it really can be a lot to learn at a faster than usual pace in an effort to get things up and running, I have missed details in the 199 page elite manual as well.
Especially when something is called something you weren't expecting it to be called, or when you go looking for something in the section you and the rest of humanity would think it would be in, but it's really in a completely different section. Reading an understanding the manuals to receivers and processors can be an art/skill in and of itself. Or you download the digital manual and use the search function. Sometimes that helps too.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis