No Picture when I connect the VCR

D

dagarshali

Enthusiast
Hi,
This concerns Yamaha HTR 5840 receiver. I have a DVD player connected to this receiver. I have used the S-video output from the DVD. The manual for the receiver recommended that I use S-video to connect the reciever to TV. And the DVD works just fine.

When i tried to connect the VCR, the VCR doesn't have S-video output. It is a mono VCR, which has one yellow out for video and white output for audio. I connected this cable to receiver where it say VCR IN. I have use a splitter for the audio as it is a mono VCR. on the reciever, just below VCR IN for audio and Video, there are VCR out for Audio and video. I have nothing connected to it. When I play the VCR, I hear the audio but don't see any video.

Please help me out here..

Thanks,
Vishwa

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Unfortunately, that receiver does not upconvert the signal. You can do one of two things. Run the composite video cable directly from the VCR to the TV or run another composite video cable from the receiver to the TV.

Did you get your digital inputs working and able to hear discrete sound from your speakers?

Last edited:
supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Hi Vishwa. Page 18 of the manual for the 5840 says, "Be sure to connect your video source components in the same way you connect your video monitor to HTR-5840." Whereas, for the 5850, you do the same thing if Video Conversion is set to off. Which means, I think, that this receiver does not have video upconversion. This would mean that each source (DVD & VCR) would have to have its separate connections to the TV.

You've got your DVD to receiver to TV via S-cables. You'll have to hook up your VCR to receiver to TV via composite cables. That is, yellow composite from VCR to receiver (the VCR In spot) and another yellow composite from receiver (either the VCR out spot or the Monitor Out spot, below the VCR section) to TV.

I could be wrong about this, so try it out and see if that works. If not, there are far more knowledgeable people than I on this forum who can help you out. Good luck!

cheers,
supervij

EDIT: AVRat, ya beat to it!

C

claudermilk

Full Audioholic
As AVRat said, you will have to run a set of composite video. I ran into the exact same problem when I first set up my AVR. Everything except the VCR runs through S-Video, but to accomodate the VCR, I have to run a parallel composite video to the TV from the AVR. I'm not sure how your TV will work, but for me I have to change the TV tuner from one input to the other when switching from the S-VIdeo to Composite outputs from the AVR. This is why I'll be getting an S-VHS VCR in the near future.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis