No dialogue question

D

DTRUTH

Junior Audioholic
I think that I know the answer to this, but I want confirmation or an education. I just got through watching The Interpreter and I had an issue before and after the movie. When the movie first starts everything seems fine in that I'm getting sound out of all speakers. At least, I think I am. Once the actors start speaking, the dialogue isn't audible. So, I check the menu options for the movie to check the sound format. There is no Setup menu option for this movie. I start the movie over, same thing. This time I run through my Dolby surround options and I start getting dialogue. It was originally set for Dolby Digital and as best that I can tell, that's where it ended up when the dialogue started.

I noticed about half way through the movie that my center channel wasn't producing any sound and that it was only my mains.

After the movie, I threw in my AVIA disc and sure enough, I couldn't get the pink noise to come through the CC. The noise would actually emit from the right main. I ran through my surround settings as I had done before, but no dice. Next, I switched the input to my DVR for some regular TV viewing that normally comes out of the CC. Still nothing. At this point frustration is setting it, so I just turned the receiver off. When I turned it back on, the CC starts working again. Huh?

I'm guessing the signal that I was getting was DD 2.0 instead of 5.1. Does this explain the absence of audible dialogue at the beginning of the movie? Why did I have to turn the receiver off and back on to reset it? Wouldn't changing the input source take care of this or would a 5.1 capable source have to be found to do this?

Basically, I just want to know that my receiver is performing as designed and I'm not losing my mind. :)

Sorry for the long post.

DTruth

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Testing center channel

Try the 7 (or 5) channel stereo mode to verify that you are getting sound out of the center channel. If not, check the speaker wiring and reply with your receiver model so other owners can include specific calibration steps.

D

DTRUTH

Junior Audioholic
jcPanny said:
Try the 7 (or 5) channel stereo mode to verify that you are getting sound out of the center channel. If not, check the speaker wiring and reply with your receiver model so other owners can include specific calibration steps.
The receiver is a HK AVR 635. I don't think I have the ability to recreate the original situation as I returned the movie to Netflix this morning. I checked all of my cabling and everything was/is secure. The CC and mains are fed by three m-block amps. The CC amp cutoff during the movie due to a lack of signal from the receiver. This is how I noticed that the CC wasn't active. After bouncing the receiver, everything went back to normal and I was able to get 5 channel stereo fine.

It's as if the receiver got into a state that I couldn't get it out of until I bounced it. The only variable that I can think of that created this state was the movie.

Could I have conflicting settings between the DVD player and the receiver?

Thanks,
DTruth

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis