NHT 02-ARC Outdoor Speaker Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
NHT proved they could make a truly high performance speaker system designed for the outdoors. The 02-ARC's impeccable build quality, and fit and finish is among the best I've seen in this category of product. They measure like a high quality indoor bookshelf and sound great in any environment. If you're looking for a true high-performance, weather-resistant outdoor speaker system, the NHT 02-ARC comes with my highest recommendation!

Read our NHT 02-ARC Outdoor Speaker Review

What outdoor speakers are you running? Share some pics of your outdoor system.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jotham

Audioholic
Thank you for the review! After we build our new deck, I'm looking forward to installing 4 new outdoor speakers so this review was very timely.

I do have a question about the mounting that was demonstrated. Wouldn't it make more sense to install them on their side, perhaps with tweeters on the outside? This would give greater adjustability for the sweet spot. I assume there was some acoustical reason it was installed upright but given the particular context, I can't figure it out.

thanks,

Jotham

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Thank you for the review! After we build our new deck, I'm looking forward to installing 4 new outdoor speakers so this review was very timely.

I do have a question about the mounting that was demonstrated. Wouldn't it make more sense to install them on their side, perhaps with tweeters on the outside? This would give greater adjustability for the sweet spot. I assume there was some acoustical reason it was installed upright but given the particular context, I can't figure it out.

thanks,

Jotham
Good question Jotham. A 2-way speaker like the 02-ARC performs better when mounted vertically. Horizontal mounting will result in a less even response due to lobing. You can surely mount them like this if you have no other choices but they are designed to be mounted vertically for best performance.

hk2000

hk2000

Junior Audioholic
Good question Jotham. A 2-way speaker like the 02-ARC performs better when mounted vertically. Horizontal mounting will result in a less even response due to lobing. You can surely mount them like this if you have no other choices but they are designed to be mounted vertically for best performance.
I Never new that. Thanks. Can you explain what lobing is, or point to a link that explains it, thanks. Does this also apply to surround speakers?
Also, a follow up question to Jotham's: Will it matter if they are mounted upside down with the woofer on top, if not, I think NHT should make the mounting bracket longer on one side? That would enable one to mount them low pointing up or high pointing down (Most likely). If the tweeter has to be on top, then obviously that makes them less than ideal for outdoor installation, after all this is for casual listening, No?

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis