M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
What had never really occurred to me is that this hobby is predominantly owned by men to a large degree, yet there is nothing that even physically directs it as such. I always see WAF mentioned as evidence of this, which means that this hobby and it's goals at times, might actually be kind of silly. Yet beauty products/makeup for example, is a huge thing with women and we almost never see mention of HAF beyond what givens reside there.

My current gfriend cares nothing about audio equipment and if I lived with her, my stuff would reside in a man cave made out of part of the garage or basement, with the garage really being the only place I could go crazy with it and only till 11, most likely, if I was lucky. To me, that might even be a deal breaker with living there.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
What had never really occurred to me is that this hobby is predominantly owned by men to a large degree, yet there is nothing that even physically directs it as such. I always see WAF mentioned as evidence of this, which means that this hobby and it's goals at times, might actually be kind of silly. Yet beauty products/makeup for example, is a huge thing with women and we almost never see mention of HAF beyond what givens reside there.

My current gfriend cares nothing about audio equipment and if I lived with her, my stuff would reside in a man cave made out of part of the garage or basement, with the garage really being the only place I could go crazy with it and only till 11, most likely, if I was lucky. To me, that might even be a deal breaker with living there.
Yeah, it's kind of odd to me too, but this hobby is definitely dominated by males.

I'm wondering if it is just an extension of the severe lack of females in science and technology fields.

It really is a shame too! Diversity is always a good thing.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

PURSES! I know a woman who owns ~20k in handbags and purses. :eek:

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, it's kind of odd to me too, but this hobby is definitely dominated by males.

I'm wondering if it is just an extension of the severe lack of females in science and technology fields.

Women are more practical than men, for the most part. My ex liked my stereo but cared nothing of the inner workings, or whether it was really better than anything else. Just that it was loud, so that she could play songs (99 luft ballons) I hated. Or, if there was a hen party, she could drag them outside, turn them all the way up into clipping range, and get the neighbors to hate the 'guy' with the stereo.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
LOL I remember a friend of mine and his wife visited and I'd just gotten my current setup of subs going....gave 'em a couple good movie demos and she at one point looked at me with a bit of incredulous and fear mixed together and said my seat is vibrating (and she wasn't sitting in my seat that has a transducer underneath :) ). I think men like bass more in general from what I've observed generally with gals and sound systems....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
What is it with guys and audio? I don't think I know one girl with a hifi system that a boyfriend or husband didn't have a big part of buying and setup. I guess it's just one of those things. Like I said in another post, I know a woman who has ~20k in purses and handbags. To me, that's ridiculous. However, I don't bat an eye spending thousands on audio. My wife and friends think I've lost my mind.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
What is it with guys and audio? I don't think I know one girl with a hifi system that a boyfriend or husband didn't have a big part of buying and setup. I guess it's just one of those things. Like I said in another post, I know a woman who has ~20k in purses and handbags. To me, that's ridiculous. However, I don't bat an eye spending thousands on audio. My wife and friends think I've lost my mind.
Yeah, how many people on AH also have silly-expensive bicycles? And, maybe even several expensive bikes?

I get it when it comes to bikes, it's exactly what I tell my GF (that doesn't quite understand)--"A different bike for a different riding style" or "choosing the right tool for the job".

I could at least understand how a female could have a similar outlook on purses, etc.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I must admit though, the women in my life never really invoked the WAF on me. Which is why I find it rather strange when I see it as often as I do. I've always kept a pretty good collection of fishing gear. My ex kind of liked the guy stuff. I used to always have fishing rods and other hobby stuff about the house. I remember one of her friends, who's husband was a neat freak and wasn't really into many 'guy' things, remarking about how she missed seeing guy stuff.

Oddly enough, that manages to be a cozy thing to some women. Most of these things kind of got hashed out/in during the dating phase. My ex ended up being really into fishing. It was more of what could instead be labeled as "WIF," or, Wife Included Factor. Now this could be inconvenient at times. Especially if they liked your favorite thing better than theirs.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
What had never really occurred to me is that this hobby is predominantly owned by men to a large degree, yet there is nothing that even physically directs it as such.
Women are more practical than men, for the most part.
I must admit though, the women in my life never really invoked the WAF on me. It was more of what could instead be labeled as "WIF," or, Wife Included Factor. Now this could be inconvenient at times. Especially if they liked your favorite thing better than theirs.
My wife has never understood my fascination with audio. She has enjoyed it over the years, but, she never has understood it. She's also never said "no". Practical? I could describe my wife in many glowing terms, but practical probably wouldn't get much of a mention. If she described me, practical wouldn't get any mentions either. Neither of us has much in the way of practical about us.

I really liked your "included" label. Finding things to include your significant other is the solution to many a hobby or interest. With the exception of audio, my wife is often just as interested in my hobbies as I am and is often more of a genuine fan. Gender labels don't hold a lot of water in many cases and finding ways to enjoy the other gender in hobbies is a real pathway to some happy times.

I enjoyed the comments in this thread.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
My wife has never understood my fascination with audio. She has enjoyed it over the years, but, she never has understood it. She's also never said "no". Practical? I could describe my wife in many glowing terms, but practical probably wouldn't get much of a mention. If she described me, practical wouldn't get any mentions either. Neither of us has much in the way of practical about us.

I really liked your "included" label. Finding things to include your significant other is the solution to many a hobby or interest. With the exception of audio, my wife is often just as interested in my hobbies as I am and is often more of a genuine fan. Gender labels don't hold a lot of water in many cases and finding ways to enjoy the other gender in hobbies is a real pathway to some happy times.

I enjoyed the comments in this thread.
I've been pretty lucky too. She always says no, then I'll find something pricey that she wants and dangle it for a bit, then it turns to yes. Practical? Hardly. lol. But she usually lets me get my way, though my new subs really pushed the limits. Both in size and cost. Aside from that, WAF isn't really an issue for me. I'm pretty good at hiding the wires and keep it nice and clean. I dust everything almost daily.

Ultimately she knows it makes me very happy so she puts up with it, though she doesn't get it at all. She does love her music on it though...

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Having recently joined the WAF-free club, it has freed me to pursue good sound. Silver lining.
I am a long term member by choice. There's one who's working on me though. But my disclaimer still stands. I come with loud music and a lot of (one of which is, 'not' me) projects. At the very least, afford me an acoustical space with climate control. You'll know where to find me. She likes music and she likes Guinness. I don't have to have it too loud. Just to where everything shines just enough.

Give me a tipsy woman and good tunes on weekends, I'm good. :D

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

That depends on location and even then, women who are engineers, scientists, architects, etc aren't necessarily interested just because they may understand it. I have known several women in these fields and don't remember any being particularly interested in audio or video quality but all of them were very good pool players.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
My DIY is currently on hold. Car is giving problems and may be getting a 'new to me' truck in the next week or so. As it stands, have been driving a big honking F350 dualie diesel (could buy that one but. . .geesh, what a monster) for the last week. Work is supposed to absorb the brunt of the new to me vehicle but old lessons tell me to not count my chickens with things that seem "too good to be true." That, and, I am not good with obligations to favors received. Either it's a genuine favor for the value of my services, or I pay my way out of it immediately and not be chained to it.

Did order the infinity 1260 driver, some DIY amp parts and still undecided what or how I want to finish or conceal my current ultimax sub, which is still in naked MDF trim.

I am ultimately enjoying what I have built so far, while I sit in conserve mode saving funds, the old fashioned way.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
My DIY is currently on hold. Car is giving problems and may be getting a 'new to me' truck in the next week or so. As it stands, have been driving a big honking F350 dualie diesel (could buy that one but. . .geesh, what a monster) for the last week. Work is supposed to absorb the brunt of the new to me vehicle but old lessons tell me to not count my chickens with things that seem "too good to be true." That, and, I am not good with obligations to favors received. Either it's a genuine favor for the value of my services, or I pay my way out of it immediately and not be chained to it.

Did order the infinity 1260 driver, some DIY amp parts and still undecided what or how I want to finish or conceal my current ultimax sub, which is still in naked MDF trim.

I am ultimately enjoying what I have built so far, while I sit in conserve mode saving funds, the old fashioned way.
Yup, those F350 diesels are real work-horses! I put over 100k miles on one for my old job.

But, good luck going through a drive through and don't even try a parking garage.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Yup, those F350 diesels are real work-horses! I put over 100k miles on one for my old job.

But, good luck going through a drive through and don't even try a parking garage.
Yeah, it keeps you on your toes. Damn thing hauls ass though. 7.3 turbo diesel. Look down and the thing is doing 80 without breaking a sweat.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai

MrBoat
I am bummed to hear that life has intervened and messed with you. I am hoping that your karma balance is still positive and the ship will right itself quickly. Many times a little temporary difficulty helps us find something we wouldn't have found otherwise. Like this crap called "wisdom". Wisdom is what you find when you were out looking for something else.

Cars and trucks are always a difficult subject when it comes down to a replacement or a new to you ride.
It seems my wife and I always struggle with the choices. My wife wants something that costs more than our first house and I want something totally different. We go back n forth a bunch and then something happens and we have a new to us automobile or truck. A true first world problem. What we need is something that rolls and what we buy is miles and miles away from that.

I wish you well. I want a big diesel truck too. I don't need one. I just want one.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
MrBoat
I am bummed to hear that life has intervened and messed with you. I am hoping that your karma balance is still positive and the ship will right itself quickly. Many times a little temporary difficulty helps us find something we wouldn't have found otherwise. Like this crap called "wisdom". Wisdom is what you find when you were out looking for something else.

Cars and trucks are always a difficult subject when it comes down to a replacement or a new to you ride.
It seems my wife and I always struggle with the choices. My wife wants something that costs more than our first house and I want something totally different. We go back n forth a bunch and then something happens and we have a new to us automobile or truck. A true first world problem. What we need is something that rolls and what we buy is miles and miles away from that.

I wish you well. I want a big diesel truck too. I don't need one. I just want one.
I'm good. I got away with quite a DIY spree without much in the way of life imposed restraint. More importantly is my system is complete enough to get the most out of it. Funniest part about all of this is, my current vehicle I bought 11 years ago for $1,500 as a temporary solution to the same issue and all it has cost me since is tires, a water pump/radiator and brakes. :D

I don't care for driving anymore. People on the roads these days have their heads in the clouds and they aren't even trying to be good at it. I remember back in the day, you could pick out the DUI'rs pretty easy. Now when you see the same symptoms, you will likely notice the lit up phone screen in the cockpit along with it. Now I avoid driving as much as possible. As long as it gets me back and forth to work, will haul a 4x8 sheet of drywall or plywood, I'm good, and just ugly enough to where people think about what they stand to lose comparatively, as they challenge me for my space on the interstate. :D

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I think the most typical cause of WAF issues has to do with home decor.

Women typically are more interested in (and thus better at) making a house into a home with the plants, wall-hangings, etc that make it a warmer and welcoming place.

Find one of those "Home Interior" magazines and you will notice it is rare to see even a simple TV in any of the rooms.

In extreme cases, the idea of populating part of a wall with audio equipment is an abomination!

A man-cave is a pretty good solution for many because it is isolated from the "home".

I do have a widowed friend who was surprised to have her deceased husband's HT become one of her favorite rooms in the house! She invites her friends over for wine and DVD of Eagles (or Journey). etc. But she plays clarinet and also had a decent stereo in the LR.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I think the most typical cause of WAF issues has to do with home decor.

Women typically are more interested in (and thus better at) making a house into a home with the plants, wall-hangings, etc that make it a warmer and welcoming place.

Find one of those "Home Interior" magazines and you will notice it is rare to see even a simple TV in any of the rooms.

In extreme cases, the idea of populating part of a wall with audio equipment is an abomination!

A man-cave is a pretty good solution for many because it is isolated from the "home".

I do have a widowed friend who was surprised to have her deceased husband's HT become one of her favorite rooms in the house! She invites her friends over for wine and DVD of Eagles (or Journey). etc. But she plays clarinet and also had a decent stereo in the LR.
Man cave ought to be a prerequisite. Every man and woman needs a room of their own to do as they please in. My home is small by today's standards. It's an efficient and cozy space. My audio gear is not out of place in it. Most of the things in my home are things I either made, or treasure. No chain store fodder to speak of.

Funniest thing of all, I think is, my ex wife comes over from Spain for a few weeks every year to hang with the grandkids and she stays here at my home. First things she loses when she comes through the door is her shoes, and her attitude, right back to her roots like. I'll get a text at work. . . . "How do you turn on this music?"

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis