M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
It's no secret how I feel about the Fusion-12 Tempest speakers that I built. They're frign' awesome sounding, addicting even.

After reading around the net, comparing other designs ranging from 3 ways and a lot of different kits and DIY sites, the Fusion Tempests have set the threshold quite high. A lot of what I feel has to do with the SEOS waveguides with regard to tune-ability. In other words, room correction to a great degree, merely by toeing the speakers in or out and ever so slightly sometimes. I noticed this again when I built the stands for my Tempests and not putting them back exactly the same as I had them originally.

Anyway, they are priced attractively enough. If they sound anything like the Tempests, God help me. :D

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/waveguide-speaker-kits/fusion-8/fusion8-kit.html

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So these are going to be used in what capacity? Surrounds or another 2ch setup?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
SEOS are great, but you might give a non-SEOS design a try. For a smaller room, try a design with wider dispersion. If you will not be listening at ear-piercing loudness levels, check out this kit or this kit or this guy. Nice spacious sound, and will still be able to get pretty loud in a small room, although not like the Tempests.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
SEOS are great, but you might give a non-SEOS design a try. For a smaller room, try a design with wider dispersion. If you will not be listening at ear-piercing loudness levels, check out this kit or this kit or this guy. Nice spacious sound, and will still be able to get pretty loud in a small room, although not like the Tempests.
Just finished Carmody's Classix 2's and those sound great too! Also, have perused the kits you posted.

Honestly, the Alchemies are not out of any real specific need, but more of a current infatuation with the Eminence woofers paired with the SEOS and Jeff Bagby's take on this pairing. Of all the speakers I have owned, none have provided a sweet spot as seemingly infinite as these have. The tonal quality, stand alone, before they even mix with a room is yet another thing that fascinates me. Sometimes I stand right next to the speaker just to experience that momentarily.

When I used to be into building boats, I would often build models of the hull forms I liked, just to possess that specific shape without going all in. The idea of owning what essentially amounts to a model of the Tempests intrigues me.

Finally, these Tempests keep me up late. I'm having the hardest time turning them off. Going from that to nothingness is difficult to the point of being disappointing. If I have a pair in my bedroom, I can at least set a track to fall asleep by more gradually. And when I have visitors, I have another room to escape to where I can at least close them off from the brunt of my obsession.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just finished Carmody's Classix 2's and those sound great too! Also, have perused the kits you posted.

Honestly, the Alchemies are not out of any real specific need, but more of a current infatuation with the Eminence woofers paired with the SEOS and Jeff Bagby's take on this pairing. Of all the speakers I have owned, none have provided a sweet spot as seemingly infinite as these have. The tonal quality, stand alone, before they even mix with a room is yet another thing that fascinates me. Sometimes I stand right next to the speaker just to experience that momentarily.

When I used to be into building boats, I would often build models of the hull forms I liked, just to possess that specific shape without going all in. The idea of owning what essentially amounts to a model of the Tempests intrigues me.

Finally, these Tempests keep me up late. I'm having the hardest time turning them off. Going from that to nothingness is difficult to the point of being disappointing. If I have a pair in my bedroom, I can at least set a track to fall asleep by more gradually. And when I have visitors, I have another room to escape to where I can at least close them off from the brunt of my obsession.
LOL sometimes I wonder about your late hours, I've got some weird hours myself but I have to double take sometimes considering you're three hours ahead of me....

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I work a later shift. I did doubles and beyond for over 20 years and it's been a difficult habit to break, if I ever actually manage to break it off entirely.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I work a later shift. I did doubles and beyond for over 20 years and it's been a difficult habit to break, if I ever actually manage to break it off entirely.
Man, you have gone off the deep end, down the rabbit hole, quicker than most!

It's OK, we're here to enable. ;)

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I think you have to face the facts- you're going to have to sleep with your speakers.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Man, you have gone off the deep end, down the rabbit hole, quicker than most!

It's OK, we're here to enable. ;)
I don't feel so bad. I have a buddy who is having a midlife crisis of sorts. He dropped 9 grand on Jeep parts last weekend. A couple years ago he spent $35k on a Harley. I think he's ridden it maybe 6 times. I came across a thread last night where a guy has 8 subwoofers in his living room.

I think I am up to about $1300 in 6-7 months. This is the only thing I have really spent money on in 12 years beyond the bare necessities of life. Heck, a cable bill could eat more than that! :D

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
My kids are going to inherit some cool things. Keep your eye out on ebay and craigslist in about 10 years or so. :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'll let you adopt me. My dad doesn't know sh*t about hifi audio... HE says I waste my money! I hate you dad! You never understand me!

:p

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't feel so bad. I have a buddy who is having a midlife crisis of sorts. He dropped 9 grand on Jeep parts last weekend. A couple years ago he spent $35k on a Harley. I think he's ridden it maybe 6 times. I came across a thread last night where a guy has 8 subwoofers in his living room.

I think I am up to about $1300 in 6-7 months. This is the only thing I have really spent money on in 12 years beyond the bare necessities of life. Heck, a cable bill could eat more than that! :D
Eight's considered a good start by some :) Popalock's old theater room for example...

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
This guy's wife is a keeper. Well, not sure about one sock and sandals, but....if she's OK with this system (yes, the photo only shows part of the wall of speakers), she either has evidence against him, he's loaded or,....something.

http://www.dougronald.com/images/PB010017.JPG

R

roadrune

Audioholic
Less nulls/modes due to room issues; much more even bassresponse, and offcourse good capacity.

yippiechicken

yippiechicken

Audioholic Intern
I think you have to face the facts- you're going to have to sleep with your speakers.
I tried to, but my wife would not give in!
Be careful what you wish for. My wife did give in and now my speakers have a permanent place in our bed and I have to sleep in the theater on the floor.

Not quite sure what happened there.....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis