J

jayleaf

Audioholic Intern
i've recently upgraded my HT by adding a pair of paradigm studio 20 v3 speakers as my fronts and a svs sb ultra sub. i'm currently using a denon 3808ci receiver. my blue ray player is a sony s5100. do you think a good next step would be saving up for an oppo 105. i've heard so many good things about oppo i'm wondering if i would notice a significant upgrade in picture and sound with one. i also run an optical cable from my computer to the denon to listen to itunes thru my HT. would the oppo also offer a significant upgrade in sound here as well. thankyou.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
What do you have for surrounds?

Realistically, you would probably get more improvements by adding a 2nd sub or room acoustic treatments rather than upgrading the BRP.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Sony, so I would have never bought that model BRP to begin with.

selden

selden

Audioholic
Changing the brand of BD player won't change the quality of audio or video: So long as you have the settings optimized in the player (e.g. audio bitstream on, secondary audio mix off) they both provide the same maximum audio and video resolution available over HDMI.

If you can change your computer to use HDMI, you'll get better audio (lossless surround-sound) than an optical connection can provide.

J

jayleaf

Audioholic Intern
Changing the brand of BD player won't change the quality of audio or video: So long as you have the settings optimized in the player (e.g. audio bitstream on, secondary audio mix off) they both provide the same maximum audio and video resolution available over HDMI.

If you can change your computer to use HDMI, you'll get better audio (lossless surround-sound) than an optical connection can provide.
if i recall HDMI was not an option i had at the time. i will have to look into it again though. as for the BD player i have to admit i'm a bit confused. i've seen so many rave about oppos, but your saying a basic BD player offers the same quality as a high end player.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I think the Oppo and other similar players are more about build quality and prestige, and perhaps spin a disk a little quieter. If you are using HDMI, then bits are bits, as long as they are delivered to the decoder (typically in the AVR).

If you want to use the 105 for its analog output, then you might get an improvement in audio. If you want to use it with HDMI connection, then you are probably wasting $.

The Oppo may outperform some of the lower end players on the test bench, where they are feeding it the most brutal video signals, but real-world material won't show the difference.

Also, the Oppo customer support is the best in the biz. Good luck getting any customer support out of Sony :confused::p

I would absolutely love to have a 105. But, all things considered, I have put less money in other products that do the job very well.

Concerning the optical connection, it will be great for 2 channel music. You will only get improvement going to HDMI if you want surround sound (optical can't do 5.1)

J

jayleaf

Audioholic Intern
I think the Oppo and other similar players are more about build quality and prestige, and perhaps spin a disk a little quieter. If you are using HDMI, then bits are bits, as long as they are delivered to the decoder (typically in the AVR).

If you want to use the 105 for its analog output, then you might get an improvement in audio. If you want to use it with HDMI connection, then you are probably wasting $.

The Oppo may outperform some of the lower end players on the test bench, where they are feeding it the most brutal video signals, but real-world material won't show the difference.

Also, the Oppo customer support is the best in the biz. Good luck getting any customer support out of Sony :confused::p

I would absolutely love to have a 105. But, all things considered, I have put less money in other products that do the job very well.

Concerning the optical connection, it will be great for 2 channel music. You will only get improvement going to HDMI if you want surround sound (optical can't do 5.1)
thanks for the input. i don't think i want to spend over a grand just to get good customer service. if the upgrade isn't noticeable no sense wasting money on it. i think the optical cable might be sufficient then for playing itunes on the HT. it's just stereo anyway. the sony BD plays sacd's which is nice since i have a small collection of those in 5.1.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis