Next display purchase

Would your next display purchase be a 4K unit?

• Yes, I like to keep current

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • No, 1080P is more than enough for me

Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm still two years away from moving into the new place but I can help but think that there is going to be a new display purchase in there somewhere. :)

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I voted for 1080p but that's because my situation doesn't make it practical to have a projector and large screen. A large screen would justify UHD. My 65" TV from 8 feet away wouldn't benefit.

Jim

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I'm hoping I can make my several-years-old TV last for a few more years until glassesless glassless glasses-less glasslessness glasses-free 3D gains more widespread adoption.

There needs to be an option in the poll for "it depends on whether glasses-free 3D is available when I return to the market, and if my wife does not object to my getting one." Frankly, 3db, I'm surprised you didn't already have that as an option.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm hoping I can make my several-years-old TV last for a few more years until glassesless glassless glasses-less glasslessness glasses-free 3D gains more widespread adoption.

There needs to be an option in the poll for "it depends on whether glasses-free 3D is available when I return to the market, and if my wife does not object to my getting one." Frankly, 3db, I'm surprised you didn't already have that as an option.
I'm still out on the 3D thing and I would not upgrade to a display simply for 3D.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Ah, well, in that case, I'd go for 1080p unless there was a reeeeally good deal on a 4K. 4K is really only an advantage with 3D I think.

@3db, what are your thoughts on refresh rate? Are you fine with 60Hz, or would you spend extra on 120Hz or 240Hz? I think I'd like a higher refresh rate, if I were me.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'd take high contrast radio and deep blacks over 3d, 4k. This is why I got plasma. unfortunately no more new plasmas :(
I hope by time I'd need to buy large screen panel Oled would go down in price by MUCH

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I hope I get several more years out of my plasma. I would hate to be shopping for a TV now since there isn't anything I would want to buy. I've been spoiled by my ZT60.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I plan to simply get another 1080p Epson probably for my next display. This one has been going strong for a few years now. That does give me the idea of upgrading the screen.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I'm holding onto my roll till UHD front projection with laser light engines are affordable.

DJWPAR3

DJWPAR3

Audioholic Intern
I went back and forth over the 1080P vs 4K decision for the last 6 months. I went 4K this week. Samsung 8500 65".
YES! There is little 4K content at this time...mostly YOU TUBE, AMAZON PRIME and NETFLIX.
What there is looks fabulous! PLUS the upgrading of 1080P is IMPRESSIVE!
I'm really anxious for the 4K Atmos discs to hit...(early 2016 now, instead of BY CHRISTMAS as originally announced). None of the streaming services offer the sound codecs the discs will.

I was an early adopter of HDTV many years ago...and never regretted it even when content was slim then.
I guess I just enjoy the excitement of watching something new grow.

Anyway...I LOVE my new set, still tinkering with the settings....
ADVICE: if you are thinking about a 4K display...don't skimp....HDR is coming also and I think it will be an important addition. There are too many JUST BARELY 4 K sets at LOW prices that will sour your experience.

I just need to figure out what to do with my replaced Samsung 46" set....ran out of bedrooms.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I think in 2 years time 4K will become the new mainstream display.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
1080P for me. I'll wait till they go down to 500 bucks or less for a 50-60 inch 4k. I'm not really interested till there is more content and is it really that much better? Yeah I'm sure it is, but for now the Plasma is still looking great from my distance. :)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The motivation to upgrade is thwarted by gadget exhaustion.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
OLED is the only thing of interest, and until it becomes mainstream, no thanks!

But, my very good looking plasma is *only* 42", so front projection is always sitting on the back of my mind!

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I think high dynamic range technology is the first legitimate step forward in picture quality. 4K is, for people who don't own projectors, just a way to try to sell more TVs to people who don't really need them.

I don't know if HDR is compatible with OLED technology. It seems like a step backwards if it's limited to LCD TVs. I guess it depends on the peak brightness capability of OLED pixels.

Jim

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I think high dynamic range technology is the first legitimate step forward in picture quality. 4K is, for people who don't own projectors, just a way to try to sell more TVs to people who don't really need them.

I don't know if HDR is compatible with OLED technology. It seems like a step backwards if it's limited to LCD TVs. I guess it depends on the peak brightness capability of OLED pixels.

Jim

From Wiki: "An OLED display works without a backlight; thus, it can display deep black levels and can be thinner and lighter than a liquid crystal display (LCD). In low ambient light conditions (such as a dark room), an OLED screen can achieve a higher contrast ratio than an LCD, regardless of whether the LCD uses cold cathode fluorescent lamps or an LED backlight."

And a quick google about HDR and OLED brought up this elementary, but interesting, review talking about Panasonic's forth coming offerings as they are fully embracing the technology since dropping Plasma (RIP).

"And as we have said before, we can comfortably say that the best HDR pictures we have seen are on OLED."

Embrace the new goodness, my friend!

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
OLED, 1080p or 4K is thing only thing worth upgrading for. OLED is will be next display, 8K will probably be offered by that time.:)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
My local Best Buy now carries two LG 4K OLED curved sets (55" and 65"). They had the 55" mounted above the 65", BUUUT they had 4K content running on the 55" not the 65" and I couldn't make a fair evaluation of the 55" at the height and angle it was mounted. They had a 1080p LG OLED that wasn't running at all on an endcap, and they keep LG's 4K LCD/LED displays far away from the rest of the 4K televisions on another endcap in a corner all by itself where no one would think to even look for them. It's almost as if Best Buy is actively sabotaging LG.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis