Newcastle R-965 or NAD T773

U

Ultraman67

Audiophyte
I am looking at getting a new a/v reciever and have it currently narrowed down to the Sherwood Newcastle R-965 and the NAD T-773 both have features and sufficient power. I have read experiences with the NAD but none with the Sherwood. Any Advice?

G

garypeacock

Audiophyte
NAD vs Sherwood

I am looking at the same two amps and really don't know which to go either. Have you made any headway yet? I just started looking a few days ago and so far it's a toss up. But there are some things I don't understand such as the DTS-ES Discrete and Matrix in the Sherwood.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I can't help with info on Sherwood as I've never seen nor owned one, but I can help explain DTS-ES Matrix and Discrete. Is it that you just need to know what those formats are or Sherwood's particular implementation of them?

W

woodman

Enthusiast
If you're contemplating spending that much money on a receiver, this becomes a bonafide "no-brainer" IMO. My choice would be the Sherwood in a heartbeat ... no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

When buying (relatively) expensive C-E products, performance slides down the scale of important criteria - since the differences in performance become minimal and insignificant as you move up the pricing ladder. Same with features - since unique features from any mfg. are so quickly adopted by their competitors that the uniqueness soon evaporates into thin air.

So, what becomes the most important criteria in my estimation? Reliability and customer support - that's what. There's simply no substitute for a company to care about their customers and be concerned enough for the customer's satisfaction to do whatever it takes to make sure that goal is reached - so that the customer will be inclined to recommend the company and its products to others.

In this context, Sherwood stands out ... waaaaaaay out in front of NAD, in my experience (and in the experiences of others that I've read at these forums). Besides which, I don't think that there's any receiver in the marketplace that would "sound better" than the Newcastle R-965. It's an outstanding performer!

Hope this helps somebody -

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
In this context, Sherwood stands out ... waaaaaaay out in front of NAD, in my experience (and in the experiences of others that I've read at these forums). Besides which, I don't think that there's any receiver in the marketplace that would "sound better" than the Newcastle R-965. It's an outstanding performer!

Hello
a few months back I A/B a P-965 against a Yamaha RXV2400
my conclusions were that the P-965 sounded better for 2 channel
and Analog and the Yamaha sounded better for everything else
The user interface was very poor on the Sherwood and all 3 units I had
were defective I informed sherwood of the defect last March
just last month they posted on another forum that a fix is in the works
Needless to say I am not impressed with the company or the product
for the reasons above and several others that I wont elaborate
Cheers
RLA

newsletter