newbie to home theater components needs help pairing speakers

W

william19781

Audiophyte
good evening everyone i hope this finds you guys and gals doing well. i am new to the forum and am in a bit of a pickle. i have been researching and researching and am having difficulty deciding on a set of speakers for a 5.1 sourround sound set up. my reciever is a yamaha rxv-671. i am thinking about upgrading it because it does not have wifi but other than that i love it. what do you all think about that reciever i found it on newegg for 359.00 i have on order and am waiting for the polk monitor 70's. any thoughts on those as far as sound quality versus others such as pioneer? but my problem is this.....i know i have to have matched speakers for everything to sound even and i do not know what other speakers to get for the sourrounds, center and sub. i would like to keep costs down while still maintaining sound quality if at all possible. i was looking at the monitor series II 30's and 40's and am leaning toward the 30s simply because they have a wall mount built in on the back of the speaker. if i knew the 40s had that i would go with them but i have searched high and low and could not find any 40s that have it. there is a set on amazon that says they do have the mount but there is no picture to verify this. i hope someone can help me try to sort this out. bc its giving me a headache lol. thank you for everyones time

ps my budget is between 400-650. I would like the center channel to be the polk monitor 25 c if one of my floor standings models will mate with it fluidly. Also can I find a bracket for a pair of book shelf speakers like the bracket on the back of the monitor 30s? if so where at? Thanks yall. Happy listening.

here are the speakers i have picked out but again dont know what goes with what

Subs
Polk pswi225 8” wireless powered sub from ebay 169.99 or
Polk psw10 powered sub from ebay 99.96

Center Channel
CS1 Series II from ebay 89.99
CS2 Series II from ebay
25 C from newegg.com 149.99 or ebay.com
Monitor 25 C 149.99 from ebay and newegg.com

CSiA4 RTI 169.95 from ebay polk store(
Condition: Manufacturer refurbished :
Seller Notes: “Match with RTi/RTiA out of wall -or- TCi/RT in wall/ceiling”
I DON’T KNOW WHAT ALL THIS MEANS LIKE WHAT I SHOULD MATCH IT WITH

Floor Standing
RTI 8 from ebay 399.99 for pair
Monitor 70 Series II from ebay 379.99 for pair
Monitor 65T from ebay 349.99 for pair
Monitor 50 Series II from ebay 199.99 for pair

Surrounds
Monitor 30 Series II from ebay 99.99 for pair (has mounting bracket)
Monitor 40 Series II from ebay 139.99 for pair (does not have mounting bracket on back though)
Rti 4 174.99 for pair from ebay
Rti A1 250.00 from ebay (not an authorized dealer. Private ebay seller, he blocked out the serial number on the box in the pictures. All the pictures show are just the box no pictures of the actual speakers he claims that he bought them years ago and never took them out of box
Rti 6 250.00 a pair from ebay authorized polk dealer includes warrenty

so far i've learned that the floor standing monitor 70s can be matched with either cs2 or 25c center channels but that the 25 c is bigger but the question is what would sound better and what sourrounds would work with that setup? i would like to get a variety of scenarios if possible from the list i've drafted so far.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Have you considered looking on ebay? ;)
Sorry... couldn't resist.
My primary suggestion is to be cautious w/ ebay. Do you get a warranty? Can you actually listen before you buy? Free return trial period? I would just hate to see you get stuck w/ something, ("he claims that he bought them years ago and never took them out of box"), that is not what you expected or wanted.

Do some wandering and searches in this forum. Lots of recommendations within the prices you mention... from real dealers with returns and warranty.

Also go here: http://www.audioholics.com/product-reviews
and here: http://www.audioholics.com/recommended-systems

Check out the reviews in your price range. Information you can trust.

Last edited:
W

william19781

Audiophyte
i agree with you 100% herbu. i actually spent most of the day and half the night yesterday (4-25-14) on polks ebay site. found a lot of good deals but as i stated above my biggest problem is matching them correctly. as i've never had a component home theater setup i do not know what goes with what or what the different models have or dont have i did listen to the prespective models at bestbuy recently though or at least the ones they had available.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis