Newbie to computer audio

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I'm playing music from two pc's (a current Windows 10 with media player, and an 11 yr old Linux box with VLC player) using only a headphone jack to RCA and both sound excellent. I had the Linux box out, hooked up to an identical AVR as my main system to test crossovers with and it was still on my kitchen table when I tried out the new speakers, so, I just played back and forth with the remote with the AVRs volume controls. Even with different sized speakers, the old Linux machine still kicks a$$! Perhaps video quality is the clincher with those using them for movies, but for music, I can't really see how the cables would be audibly better without a super critical, direct, simultaneous comparison. Both machines have flac files in their libraries ripped from the same CD's.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks. I don't think that's an option, though. On this processor the USB port reads only drives - it won't communicate with a PC. I'll have to hook the PC via HDMI.
I was under the impression that your receiver would be able to act as a USB DAC. Since it seems to only support a usb drive with audio files then HDMI is the obvious answer. It will do everything you need it to.

C

ChGr

Audioholic Intern
Regarding tablets used to control the music stored on your HTPC, have you guys had better luck with a tablet running Android, like a Samsung Galaxy or a Windows-based tablet like a Surface Pro running W10Pro?

The couple references here were for phones/tablets and I can see the advantages of them for apps and price. Any issues with them regarding connectivity to your home network? Any advantages to a Windows-based?

thanks

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I use my Samsung galaxy tab to control foobar2000. They have a free app in the play store just for it. It works over WiFi and I've not had any issues.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Regarding tablets used to control the music stored on your HTPC, have you guys had better luck with a tablet running Android, like a Samsung Galaxy or a Windows-based tablet like a Surface Pro running W10Pro?

The couple references here were for phones/tablets and I can see the advantages of them for apps and price. Any issues with them regarding connectivity to your home network? Any advantages to a Windows-based?

thanks
Don't put Windows based tablets into the same corner as an Android or iOS tablet. They are too different. Windows based tablets are full blown Windows in a tablet form factor. I doubt there are many if any apps in the Windows store for controlling things like HTPC software or much of anything really.

I'd look at Android or iOS. There are tons of controller apps out there that do pretty much anything you'd need them to.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't have a tablet. Use my W10 pc or my android phone; with foobar2000 from/on the pc and the addition of BubbleUPnP app on the phone.

C

ChGr

Audioholic Intern
Don't put Windows based tablets into the same corner as an Android or iOS tablet. They are too different. Windows based tablets are full blown Windows in a tablet form factor. I doubt there are many if any apps in the Windows store for controlling things like HTPC software or much of anything really.

I'd look at Android or iOS. There are tons of controller apps out there that do pretty much anything you'd need them to.
Thanks and I agree - completely different. The significant knock on 'Windows tablets' seems to be the inability to run apps, but of course, they can do PC things, which, for this application I don't really need.

No issue, though, in using an Android-based device to communicate to the HTPC through the network? I'm familiar with doing so through Windows but not Android.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks and I agree - completely different. The significant knock on 'Windows tablets' seems to be the inability to run apps, but of course, they can do PC things, which, for this application I don't really need.

No issue, though, in using an Android-based device to communicate to the HTPC through the network? I'm familiar with doing so through Windows but not Android.
It's very simple. Most of the control apps either have auto discovery or will let you manually enter IP settings and such.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis