Jumbosausage

Jumbosausage

Audiophyte
Hi Guys

I’m looking to build my first quality home audio system. I’ll be starting from scratch as I have nothing of note worth keeping. I’ve just recently ripped my 1000+ CD collection into FLAC format and have these stored on a FreeNAS box connected to my home network.
I’ve done a little research but to be honest I’m really not sure which route I’m best taking. I’ve looked at the Sonos system and while is looks fantastic I’m really interested to find out just what difference building a separate system would give me and what options are available. I have very limited knowledge but I have recently been reading about DACs, Amps, Preamps, and speakers but started to get a little overwhelmed with all the options out there and the price points that some of these devices can reach.

Initially I’d like to start by building a system in one room where my PC is located, this is where most of my music listening is done and ideally I’d like to be able to play audio from my PC through the same speakers.This would be for gaming and the odd movie. I understand that I couldn’t do both at the same time but is there a DAC (I believe that’s what I’d need) with enough inputs to be able to switch between the two?

Secondly if I wanted to add speakers in the living room or bedroom for example could I connect them via a bridge and have them all work together?

In a nutshell I’m looking for the best possible music experience in one room but with the option to expand it out into other rooms in the future. Any advice on the kind of equipment I should be looking at and how much I’d need to spend. I don’t have a budget in mind at present but I’d be willing to spend for the quality if it’s really worth going that extra step.

Apologies for the long post.

Thanks

Nick.

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
Do you want to want the different rooms to play the same thing or to have separate sources for each zone?

Jumbosausage

Jumbosausage

Audiophyte
It would be nice to be able to have different music playing in different rooms yes, although it's not essential. I know the Sonos system can do this but I wasn't sure if it was possible to add one of their bridges to a separate non Sonos system without diminishing the quality.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I don’t have a budget in mind at present but I’d be willing to spend for the quality if it’s really worth going that extra step.
You see, this is a problem. Hard for people to make suggestions w/o having at least a ballpark idea of a budget. Are you willing to spend $10k for 2 speakers? $50k? $2k for the whole system? Huge price range and choices available. Need a little help.

Jumbosausage

Jumbosausage

Audiophyte
You see, this is a problem. Hard for people to make suggestions w/o having at least a ballpark idea of a budget. Are you willing to spend $10k for 2 speakers? $50k? $2k for the whole system? Huge price range and choices available. Need a little help.

Thanks for the reply, I'd say a ballpark figure of $5k for an initial outlay. I'd like this to be something I can keep adding to in the future though. I've just been reading an article on the debate of an AVR vs separates and it got me thinking that an AVR might not be what I'm looking for at this time. I really only want this for audio at the moment and 99% of it's usage will be to stream my FLAC files to it from a NAS. The thought of being able to have a home theatre at some point may interest me but it's not a priority at present. So with this is mind would a DAC, AMP and stereo speaker pair be my best route? I take it I could always add a Video receiver at a later date if I wanted.

I guess I should also add the room size is about 25 sq meters.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I am in the camp that does not like AVR's for music, I like separate systems for music and then one for movies/tv/games, not saying you can't play music through your tv system, but its nice to have a critical listening system, and a pc system is perfect for it... I feel like you will spend more getting the 2 systems to work together than building two separate systems...

For a nice PC system, you don't need to spend $5K...
A nice set of bookshelf speakers - EPOS EPIC 2 BOOKSHELF SPEAKERS (PR) at Music Direct
A capable subwoofer- SB12-NSD Outlet-C
A volume control https://emotiva.com/products/electronics/control-freak
A dac Amazon.com: Signstek HIFI USB to Coaxial S/PDIF Converter Decoder Convert Digital to Analogue Signal Mini USB DAC PCM 2704 Chipset with USB Cable: Computers & Accessories
and an amp https://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/upa-200 Or no vol control and just get a mini x i-amp...

Then you can keep stepping up
$850 Monitors~Philharmonic Audio
$700 SVS SB-2000 - 500 Watt DSP Controlled, 12" Compact Sealed Subwoofer
$220 https://emotiva.com/products/dacs/xda-2
$449 https://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/xpa-200

And more...
Sierra-2 RAAL Ribbon Tweeter Bamboo Cabinet Loudspeaker
SVS SB-2000 - 500 Watt DSP Controlled, 12" Compact Sealed Subwoofer
https://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/xpa-2
https://emotiva.com/products/pres-and-pros/xsp-1
with an external dac...

Really the sky is the limit... I think a good middle of the road system is the philharmonitors with an sb2000 sub and UPA200 amp with control freak and the muse dac, you will spend under $2000 and even less if you buy Bstock which svs and emotiva have frequently, you can probably get that system for around $1800... For music it would be hard to beat..

If you really want to have a nice system and not spend a lot at all, the epics for 50% off is an awesome deal, them are really nice speakers, pair them with an emotiva mini x, and a closeout sb12nsd sub, and the muse dac you will be around $1200 and have a great 2.1 pc system...

good luck and welcome to the forum..

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks for the reply, I'd say a ballpark figure of $5k for an initial outlay. I'd like this to be something I can keep adding to in the future though. I've just been reading an article on the debate of an AVR vs separates and it got me thinking that an AVR might not be what I'm looking for at this time. I really only want this for audio at the moment and 99% of it's usage will be to stream my FLAC files to it from a NAS. The thought of being able to have a home theatre at some point may interest me but it's not a priority at present. So with this is mind would a DAC, AMP and stereo speaker pair be my best route? I take it I could always add a Video receiver at a later date if I wanted.

I guess I should also add the room size is about 25 sq meters.
I'm more than happy with my Marantz AVR for music, although I recommend a model with Audyssey XT32 and Sub EQ HT if you reckon it's a possibility that you might run dual subs.

You said 25 sq meters. Where are you?

Jumbosausage

Jumbosausage

Audiophyte
Thanks for the feedback guys, really appreciate it. Looks like I've got a bit of research ahead of me but you've given me food for thought. I'm actually in the UK, I didn't realize I was on a US site initially. I guess I have to decide on the 1 complete system or to separate my music from the visual side of things. I'm leaning slightly towards a dedicated music system at present as this is my number one priority but I guess I have to work out the pro's and cons of each option.

If I wanted to stream music else where around the house but using a couple of Sonos speakers, could I just connect this system (I believe this would be via a preamp?) with one of the Sonos connect devices and that way control the whole music library from a single point. I'm not sure if there's other options available or if Sonos is the only answer here?. My main priority though as mentioned is to have one awesome dedicated music room but something that enables me to hook up and stream to the bedroom, living room etc. The quality of playback isn't really as important to me in those rooms and I'm guessing the Sonos system would be perfect.

Thanks again for the help.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis