Newbie DIY sub advice

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Seems like Rojo has done a lot of work for you and those eminence drivers look promising. I would caution against the Kicker driver because do they tend to be oriented to SPL more than sound quality. Of course properly tuned it would still destroy most commercial subs.

If you are going to hire out the project. You might get the Infinity Kappa 120.9w and use the below thread which has all the heavy lifting done for you.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/simple-12-infinity-kappa-vq-midq-plans.45528/

Even if you don't use the exact build it shows you how to properly fold a slot port and build a ported box.

I will say everyone seem to pushing ported, but I hope you at least give yourself a chance to hear both and determine your preferences. I myself tend to prefer sealed systems. One of the reasons we have so many options for speakers is that we all have different preferences.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
FWIW in the Crown XLS manuals I have they indicate some models may be exported under the name Amcron and also has a claim for trademark under the Crown, Crown Audio and Amcron names for Crown International.....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Seems like Rojo has done a lot of work for you and those eminence drivers look promising. I would caution against the Kicker driver because do they tend to be oriented to SPL more than sound quality. Of course properly tuned it would still destroy most commercial subs.

If you are going to hire out the project. You might get the Infinity Kappa 120.9w and use the below thread which has all the heavy lifting done for you.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/simple-12-infinity-kappa-vq-midq-plans.45528/

Even if you don't use the exact build it shows you how to properly fold a slot port and build a ported box.

I will say everyone seem to pushing ported, but I hope you at least give yourself a chance to hear both and determine your preferences. I myself tend to prefer sealed systems. One of the reasons we have so many options for speakers is that we all have different preferences.
Curious how you determine SQ vs SPL for a given driver? Aren't they a combined function with the amount of distortion resulting? I like sealed subs for size and ease of construction, but takes several of them to get somewhere....

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Kicker C154+iNuke 1000 = about $450. Leaves plenty of room in budget for box construction.
Only one glaring possible issues (as mentioned) would be box size. 2'x2'x2' is not exactly small :)
On the positive side - nothing, NOTHING available commercially would be able to touch it as far as performance goes.

Lsiberian might have a point about Kicker is not known to build low-distortion (aka musical) drivers. What makes it even worse is comp stands for Competition series, as it competition for LOUDEST audio levels and yes - they do exists.
- 152dBs inside the car.... :eek::eek: - 120db will damage permanently your hearing and it's logarithmic scale....

In addition - PE suggested box sizes here:
http://www.parts-express.com/kicker-c154-comp-series-15-subwoofer-4-ohm--267-6911
they say it could work in small sealed box of only 2.5cuft but at expense of extension - f3 of 46hz.
if you go with iNuke1000(2000?) DSP model - you could improve it a bit with EQ.
EQ up does require more power from amp.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm just saying just judging a driver (or any audio device) by brand name alone could be an error....

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm just saying just judging a driver (or any audio device) by brand name alone could be an error....
From what I seen so far from info and models Rojo posted - Kicker does look very good, but it's incomplete data so far...

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai

The Infinity build you linked is tuned way too low. The Fs of that driver is 27.2Hz. There should be a dip in the excursion at that driver's resonant frequency, but the model has the dip at around 21Hz. If you're going to caution against orienting to range or SPL over sound quality, then the Infinity build should be your cautionary tale -- not the Kicker.

The worst part about the Kicker sub is that the brand is a common choice for teenage punks with too much bass in their cars. I've got the same prejudice, believe me. Just seeing a Kicker driver makes me want to yell, "Get off my lawn!" But if the T/S params of that Kicker Comp 15 are accurate, that driver should be very well controlled and musical, and a surprisingly good choice for home theater (assuming the required enclosure size isn't a deal killer).

It's really too bad he can't get the Dayton 18" HO driver. This build is a better demonstration of a build done right, I think.

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Curious how you determine SQ vs SPL for a given driver? Aren't they a combined function with the amount of distortion resulting? I like sealed subs for size and ease of construction, but takes several of them to get somewhere....
SQ of a driver is typically measured by the flatness of BL/X. In subwoofer driver design one of the trade-offs is X-max and flatness of that curve. There is nothing wrong with going for volume if that's your goal, but it's a trade-off a designer makes. Kicker focuses on volume above all else. I see nothing wrong with that and I think what they've achieved is remarkable engineering. But I prefer drivers that sacrifice xmax for BL/X flatness.

I disagree that it takes several sealed subs to have an excellent system. I only have 1 and it does quite fine. The entire reason many drivers where engineered was to allow for sealed alignment. Once you actually load a sub in a room it really does help the low end a lot. A lot of amazing DIY drivers can't actually be ported properly.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
It's really too bad he can't get the Dayton 18" HO driver. This build is a better demonstration of a build done right, I think.
Yes he can, but it could be a budget stretcher:
https://www.amazon.co.jp/Dayton-Audio-RSS460HO-4-Reference-Subwoofer/dp/B00SA8ROCQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1467752617&sr=8-2&keywords=dayton+HO

But no UM18 sub, best I could find is UM12 which is also quite expensive.
https://www.amazon.co.jp/Dayton-Audio-UM12-22-Ultimax-Subwoofer/dp/B01AOOB6ZO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1467752664&sr=8-2&keywords=dayton+ultimax

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
The Infinity build you linked is tuned way too low. The Fs of that driver is 27.2Hz. There should be a dip in the excursion at that driver's resonant frequency, but the model has the dip at around 21Hz. If you're going to caution against orienting to range or SPL over sound quality, then the Infinity build should be your cautionary tale -- not the Kicker.

The worst part about the Kicker sub is that the brand is a common choice for teenage punks with too much bass in their cars. I've got the same prejudice, believe me. Just seeing a Kicker driver makes me want to yell, "Get off my lawn!" But if the T/S params of that Kicker Comp 15 are accurate, that driver should be very well controlled and musical, and a surprisingly good choice for home theater (assuming the required enclosure size isn't a deal killer).
There are actually people who argue for that type of design. Regardless the thread shows how to properly build a slot port. So I suggest at the very least learning about the build and construction side form it. It made a lot of happy people over the years.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
No kidding. Does SI ship to Japan?

I think the Kicker would probably blow his mind anyway. going from no sub to a slot ported kicker is a huge upgrade.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
SQ of a driver is typically measured by the flatness of BL/X. In subwoofer driver design one of the trade-offs is X-max and flatness of that curve. There is nothing wrong with going for volume if that's your goal, but it's a trade-off a designer makes. Kicker focuses on volume above all else. I see nothing wrong with that and I think what they've achieved is remarkable engineering. But I prefer drivers that sacrifice xmax for BL/X flatness.

I disagree that it takes several sealed subs to have an excellent system. I only have 1 and it does quite fine. The entire reason many drivers where engineered was to allow for sealed alignment. Once you actually load a sub in a room it really does help the low end a lot. A lot of amazing DIY drivers can't actually be ported properly.
So how did the Kicker 15 show particularly in this regard vs the Kappa?

A single sealed sub may work well in a small sealed room depending on your spl/extension goals I suppose.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
No kidding. Does SI ship to Japan?

I think the Kicker would probably blow his mind anyway. going from no sub to a slot ported kicker is a huge upgrade.
I suppose I should note that for a slot port, the vent needs to be 10"W x 2.5"H x 20 3/8"L for a tuning of 18.5Hz. Not sure how that will impact the internal volume displacement, whether the dimensions of the box need to be modified to accommodate the difference from the dual 4" PVC vents I initially suggested. Ultimately, it's not a horn or a transmission line, and it's probably still close enough for government work I think.

Last edited:
rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai

I'd like to understand this. Can you elaborate on "the flatness of BL/X"? BL would be the T/S param labeled as "BL", presented in units of "Tm" (Tesla-meters?), representing motor force factor, right? What is X?

Edit: I gather from this paper that "x" is voice coil travel. There's a lot of technobabble in that paper, and I'll have to read it a few times to begin to understand its meaning. Now I'm curious to know, how can you predict whether a driver has a non-linear BL(x) curve from its T/S params? What values indicate such a characteristic?

Last edited:
S

sleepyhead

Audioholic Intern
An 18 inch driver is too big for my apartment, especially that one that RoJo linked. My room is quite small, but opens up to a bedroom on one side, a hallway on another side, and sliding window doors onto my balcony.

Any box I build or buy ideally should have one dimension of 40 cm (15.7 inches) maximum (45 cm is doable too), but the other sides can be as large as it needs to be. I really like the curve the Kicker produced, but that's only theoretical, right? I don't really care about how the driver looks (my centre is a completely different colour from my towers). The rough size outlined for the kicker is similar to the SVS PB-2000 that I had considered, but the PC-2000 was more easily placed within my room.

Taking cost into consideration of just the driver and amp, as BoredSysAdmin states, it's about $450 for the Kicker and Behringer iNuke NU1000. I could effectively get 2, and have them placed in my corners. That should eliminate any nulls, right? Going by the videos from Audioholics YT channel, I could run my single sub pre-out to the miniDSP, and have that throw 2 signals lines to the 2 subwoofers? I'm thinking too far right now. Whoops.

Back to the important parts, I do think that 2 of the Kicker is the way to go, or the Eminence, however the model shows a roll off that's a little early. Would it be possible to design a box that can roll off nearer the 20Hz mark? I'm after SQ rather than SPL, so it doesn't bother me too much if it can only do 95dB instead of 105+dB.

I also looked at JL Audio drivers (the W0 series), but the Qts is above 0.4. Same with Rockford Fosgate too. I've been going through a lot of the car audio subwoofers and I'll continue to do so until needed.

So far, for drivers under consideration: