New Yamaha Atmos / DTS:X AVENTAGE AV Receivers

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Yamaha has updated the top 3 AV receivers in their Aventage line, namely the RX-A1050, RX-A2050, and RX-A3050. These babies are packed with the latest in HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 support, immersive audio like Dolby Atmos and considering that prior entries in this series have been some of our tops picks we are excited to see that they will have full DTS:X support. Dolby Atmos and DTS:X arm you with the capability of achieving an exceptional immersive audio experience with the right speakers properly set up and placed within your listening space.

Read: Yamaha RX-A1050, RX-A2050, and RX-A3050 Atmos/DTS:X AV Receivers Preview

A

apgood

Audiophyte
Is there any news on when they will make announcement about the new Pre Pro that should be due out late this year or early next year?

Stanton

Stanton

Audioholics Contributing Writer
Have an RX-A2050 on pre-order with a 5.1.2 speaker set-up wired and ready!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Is there any news on when they will make announcement about the new Pre Pro that should be due out late this year or early next year?
It will be announced at CEDIA. It's supposed to have significant more processing power than their new flagship 3050 receiver. We shall see.

Stanton

Stanton

Audioholics Contributing Writer
Uh oh. Where is your DSP-A1 going? Is it time to sell it?
It's going to be 'archived'...for my son ;)
Can't wait to hear what those 'hi rez' files really sound like :D

A

apgood

Audiophyte
It will be announced at CEDIA. It's supposed to have significant more processing power than their new flagship 3050 receiver. We shall see.
Thanks Gene. Will be interesting to see the details of what's included as a result of that extra processing power. Would be greate if it had more than 11 channels of processing for immersive audio (e.g. 9.1.4). I don't hold out much hope given what their direct competitors have brought out, but if they did and for the same price point it would definitely be at the top of my list all else being equal.

E

Eli_Morales

Audiophyte

I think that extra processing power will be for enabling angle measurement and 3D to DTS:X and Atmos soundtracks which the A3050 does not have. It only has reflected sound control.

The other question in general is if they also keep doing their DSP at up 192khz without downsampling.

J

Jim Dale

Audiophyte
Yamaha has updated the top 3 AV receivers in their Aventage line, namely the RX-A1050, RX-A2050, and RX-A3050. These babies are packed with the latest in HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 support, immersive audio like Dolby Atmos and considering that prior entries in this series have been some of our tops picks we are excited to see that they will have full DTS:X support. Dolby Atmos and DTS:X arm you with the capability of achieving an exceptional immersive audio experience with the right speakers properly set up and placed within your listening space.

Read: Yamaha RX-A1050, RX-A2050, and RX-A3050 Atmos/DTS:X AV Receivers Preview
I have the RX-A3010. Is it realistic to give it to my son (who is 44), and get the RX-A3050?

P

PetShopBoy1970

Audiophyte
I can't wait to see the new flagship Aventage Preamplifier that will be introduced at the Berlin IFA 2015 !

E

Eli_Morales

Audiophyte
I recently read that the new Pre-Pro will be called CX-A5100

P

PetShopBoy1970

Audiophyte
Yes correct .It will be officially announced on 20 August. It will have Wifi, Bluetooth, DTS-X, Atmos, HDCP 2.2, HTC Connect, Virtual Surround Back speakers, YPAO 3D, YPAO volume, 4K 60p 4:4:4 and will also have the XLR balanced output for subwoofers, the actual model has only RCA output for subwoofers .

J

jdryyz

Audiophyte
So the latest in the AVENTAGE line no longer have multi-channel analog inputs. I understand the reason for the omission, but it is also my understanding that if you have a component (like say my Oppo BDP-83) that is capable of outputting 196KHz DVD-Audio and SACD formats, wouldn't you need analog inputs in an AVR to be able to accept these high-quality signals because they are not permitted over HDMI?

At least, this was my understanding around the time of my first HDMI receiver purchase (the Yamaha RX-V3800). But, perhaps this is just a limitation of that receiver and this is no longer the case in modern AVRs. I briefly dabbled with the AVENTAGE A2020 but had to return it due to problems with my other components not getting along.

With 4k & HDR being a reality in the near future, I will have to reconsider a new AVR and I still prefer Yamaha for many reasons. I'm just not sure if I will really be giving up anything with the missing inputs. I know that AVENTAGE has a pure-direct mode that does not kill video signals. That is another concern because when it comes to watching concert video material, I do not want any EQ settings used.

L

Latent

Full Audioholic
The analog inputs are not that useful on these receivers because since hdmi 1.2 both SACD and DVD-audio can both pass digital audio streams. Also the dac's in these high end AVR's are similar quality to these high end players. 6 channel analog is a very limiting format as the avr can't do any adjustments to the signals because of its limited analog path. Even bass mangment becomes troublesome. With digital source feed to avr it can either output straight to its dac and then amps or optionally pass through dsp and other digital filters to adjust for your room or layout.

Still have to find a hdmi > 1.2 source device that handles these now dead disk formats though.

Here is a useful guide I made a day ago or so on this:
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/guide-to-help-understand-old-avrs-features-by-age.97708/

Also note these high end analog output players you mention are still useful for bringing latest audio tech to older avr's that lack modern hdmi switching.

Last edited:
J

jdryyz

Audiophyte
Thanks for the reply. As I stated, I do understand why the inputs were omitted. My question is will I be able to hear the full qualify sound over HDMI without it being clipped? I believe that is what happens with my current AVR (RX-V3800) in that it will not pass anything above 96KHz over digital. If I recall correctly, this limitation was driven by piracy concerns.

My RX-V3800 has HDMI v1.3a so I should be able to pass those digital signals as you say, but are they modified in any way by the time they reach my speakers? My other concern is that I have tonally-neutral sound. I purposely do NOT want adjustments, bass management, equalization, etc. applied to the output when listening to audio only. This is what analog provides. The RX-V3800 does have a pure-direct mode, but this will take a multi-channel digital signal and collapse it into 2 channel stereo only. Not good for multi-channel DVD-audio and SACD.

L

Latent

Full Audioholic
I think DVD-audio is well supported with little down conversion issues but sacd is a lot more complex due to its 1bit DSD audio format. Hdmi passes this format fine and most players can also convert to pcm for more compatability but there is some loss in this maybe. The high end versions of many receivers will accept DSD and pass it straight to the DAC without altering it as their DAC's support both pcm and dsd. But if you don't bypass bass mangment and room correction with direct bypass mode then they convert to pcm for processing before output to dac. Also which high end avr's support dsd direct mode are hard to find out and it may change with each generation. So few people use it anymore it may not be a priority anymore

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis