New Universal DVD/CD player

B

brushro

Audioholic
Hello to all-I'm ready to buy a new Universal DVD/CD player which will replace a progressive scan 480p Denon 5 disc changer.
I want a single disc player that will output 1080i over component AND have an HDMI output to prepare for a future LCD display that I'm trying to round up financing for.
I have a budget of $750.00, I'd just like to ask what manufacturers &/or models I should try to narrow down to.
Thank You!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
With HD players on the market, I would never spend that much on a standard DVD player. Check out the offerings from www.oppodigital.com They are excellent players for the price. Don't let the price fool you.

In your budget, I would consider just getting one of the HD format players since they can all upscale SD DVDs also and you are then ready to take full advantage of your new LCD.

B

brushro

Audioholic
So I'm understanding that there are NO players out there that will output 1080i over component cables?
I've held out on any of the newer generation HD-DVD or Blue Ray players just due to what Ive read about they're slow operation times & also not hearing ANYTHING about how decent they're music audio playback quality is.
Thanks again!

T

tcm5

Audioholic Intern
oppo 980

The oppo 980 will answer your needs and is under $200. I just purchased the oppo 981 It is an amazing up-converting unit, it only outputs through HDMI though. All of the Oppo players are the best reviewed units out there.

I

indcrimdefense

Audioholic
the number of dvd players which will output an upconverted signal over component are limited, but they do exist, the cary dvd7 will output up to 1080p from component, the nad m55 (i think this is correct model number) will do up to 1080i and there was a player i had never heard of in one of the recent audio/video magazines that did a 3 player shootout that mentioned one of the players would do it as well. sorry i cannot recall which magazine, i want to say it had an orange color cover with an lcd on the front cover. the cary dvd8 will also output up to 1080i over component, but will only do it with certain dvd's, & i have not been able to get it to do it with any major studio movie dvd, so i assume this is some kind of internal copyright protection on the disc. if you find any others please let me know as i am looking for the same thing.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
huh???????

the number of dvd players which will output an upconverted signal over component are limited, but they do exist, the cary dvd7 will output up to 1080p from component, the nad m55 (i think this is correct model number) will do up to 1080i and there was a player i had never heard of in one of the recent audio/video magazines that did a 3 player shootout that mentioned one of the players would do it as well. sorry i cannot recall which magazine, i want to say it had an orange color cover with an lcd on the front cover. the cary dvd8 will also output up to 1080i over component, but will only do it with certain dvd's, & i have not been able to get it to do it with any major studio movie dvd, so i assume this is some kind of internal copyright protection on the disc. if you find any others please let me know as i am looking for the same thing.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis