New to home theatre: Which speakers to buy?

Amanbassi

Amanbassi

Audiophyte
I have the option between the Def Tech BP10's or Kef Q700/900. Main use movies. Ive heard the def techs have more range (measured at 25 hz lowest?) and their bipolar design is better for HT use. But KEF q series have good reviews as well. I love action movies will low frequency effects

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I have the option between the Def Tech BP10's or Kef Q700/900. Main use movies. Ive heard the def techs have more range (measured at 25 hz lowest?) and their bipolar design is better for HT use. But KEF q series have good reviews as well. I love action movies will low frequency effects
Def Tech grossly exaggerates their specs. You'll need a subwoofer with either choice. Are you in a position where you can listen to both and choose your favorite? Are you in the UK? Shop for a sub at bkelec.com.

Amanbassi

Amanbassi

Audiophyte
i am in canada and i cannot test them out in person. Def tech states 20hz, but thru independent tests people have confirmed that its around 25hz. I will also buy a sub (svs pb1000)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
25hz at what spl? With what distortion? You still need subs for your stated uses IMO.

Amanbassi

Amanbassi

Audiophyte
No clue (im a newbie so I have very little clue about what that means) but that's what I read on AVS I believe... But bp10 or the kefs?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No clue (im a newbie so I have very little clue about what that means) but that's what I read on AVS I believe... But bp10 or the kefs?
Hard to know what you read or believed as a result. Which of these speakers did you prefer? Why only go on someone else's opinion?

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
What size room, how high are your ceilings and what kind of construction? Hardwood floors or carpeting or other? Is this a dedicated theater space or integrated into a living room? Do you have any audio equipment currently?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Personally I'd buy the kef's. IMO they sound better, and since you're using a sub the low end prowess won't matter. Like boat said, how big is the room ? Pb1000 might not be enough to satisfy, since you have a tendency toward action movies, and imo it's not suited for a large room.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Out of those two the kef Q is a vastly superior speaker. Don't worry about bass extension, that's what a sub is for. So long as you can get down to about 60-80hz you're good. No speaker is going to be able to reproduce sub bass frequencies with the authority of a subwoofer.

Sent from my 5065N using Tapatalk

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
The KEF Q700 or Q900 is quite a good bargain if you can still get them at the clearance prices. Get the matching Q600c center and Q100 or Q300 for surrounds if you can too, because supplies are drying up as the new 2017 Q series becomes more available.

My understanding is that there are still some package deals to be had in Canada.

S

Shawnb

Enthusiast
I don't have the bp10, but I have heard them. I also have the deftech 1000s, and the sm65, and the kef q300. In my opinion the kef mids are much stronger and cleaner than the deftech mids, and the uni q creates much more depth and imaging. Also, the clears on the kefs are much more 3 dimensional and airy, while the deftechs sound very one dimensional or thin.

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Ideally you should try to find some retailer where you can audition speakers yourself. Maybe 2-3 models in the same room with the same gear.

i am in canada and i cannot test them out in person. Def tech states 20hz, but thru independent tests people have confirmed that its around 25hz. I will also buy a sub (svs pb1000)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis