New system opinions & recommendations

M

mudcat12

Enthusiast
First, I'd like to thank everyone here for their wide variety of opinions an expertise. I've been a lurker for years and have used these forums to buy various things. I've decided to finish my basement and put in an average home theeater setup for the family.

The reason I'm posting is to gauge my purchases....maybe alleviate a little of my buyers remorse.

Sony Bravia V-Series KDL-52V4100
Sony BDP-S550 1080p Blu-ray
Sony STR-DG920 7.1-Channel Home Theater A/V Receiver
APC AV C5BLK Home Theater surge protector
All connected with Blue Jeans HDMI cables

Hopefully, you can tell from that the level of setup I'm assembling. I went all Sony to take advantage of the Bravia Sync.

My questions are:

1. What are your opinions of the STR-DG920? It's the only part I'm unsure of.
2. Is this setup decent? What would your replace/recommend?
2. What speakers would you recommend for this type of mid-level system? I plan to utilize the 7.1 capability

Thanks in advance for any help.

john72953

john72953

Full Audioholic
Welcome and congrats on the Tv and Receiver. They are both solid componants and I'm sure will give you years of enjoyment.

Regarding speakers, we will need to know the budget you have set aside for them. A lot of people underspend on speakers, so if your budget for speakers is the same as you spent on the receiver, you will most likely get the "upgraditis" bug sooner than later.

A general rule of thumb for a good HT sound set-up (5.1) is about 3-4 times the amount you designated for your receiver. If the receiver cost you $400, then your 5.1 speaker setup could cost you $1,200-$1,600. I understand that this isn't always possible right away.

I personally would forego the 7.1 option as there are few BD's out there to take advantage of this. If you need to pre-wire (an in-wall installation), then go ahead and wire so, but I would refrain from purchasing the addional speakers and instead put that towards your 5.1 set-up.

Also, don't forget that a good 2.0, 2.1, 3.0 or 3.1 setup is a great beginning and you can always add-on later. That's how I started and I couldn't be happier. Go for quality first.......you won't regret it.

John

M

mudcat12

Enthusiast
Thanks for the quick reply.

It's in my basement and I'm already pre-wired for 5.1. The upgrade to 7.1 would be via ceiling speakers run in my suspended ceiling...so not a big deal there. The room is approx 17'wide x 18'long

I had looked at going this route as I've always liked Polk Speakers.

center - Polk Monitor CS1
l/r - Polk Monitor 50 /pair
rear - Polk RC55i /pair
sub - Polk PSW10

I've not been exposed to many brands of speakers and know there are some newer, less marketed companies out there that offer great sound at a reasonable price...that's why I'm asking.

john72953

john72953

Full Audioholic
Polk certainly makes a good product, but I cannot comment on them more so as I have never personally considered them. There are many on here and elsewhere that love them and I'm sure before long you'll get several opinions on your chosen selection.

The bottom line is really quite simple however, if YOU like what you've chosen....that is all that matters! So enjoy!

John

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis