lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Once you get this thing up and running you will understand what we are saying. Commercial subs can't compete with DIY because of the size.

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
Understand is a strong word :D

I have it built! I would of posted earlier but I was playing with it.... alot.

I think it sounds spectacular. My wife is of another opinion, she doesn't like it when the floor shakes;)

Now I just have to figure out how I am going to finish it. I was originally planning to stain and varathane it but there was an 'occurance' when routing the corners. There must have been a weak point in the maple that I used to do the corners with. When running the front corner off the maple sheared off and took a large piece of veneer with it. I didn't help that this is the worst veneer I have ever used. The maple veneer could easily be peeled off with your thumb. The glue that I used to attach the corners was far stronger then the glue on the veneer so when the 1/8" @ the center 4" piece of maple corner came off it took a 3" X 3" section of veneer to the left of the driver. :mad:

There was a great deal of negative emotion at that time. So I did the only logical thing I could. I finished installing the binding plate and driver and turned it on. Instant gratification.

I would like to thank everyone, especially TLS Guy for all the help with this build.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Understand is a strong word :D

I have it built! I would of posted earlier but I was playing with it.... alot.

I think it sounds spectacular. My wife is of another opinion, she doesn't like it when the floor shakes;)

Now I just have to figure out how I am going to finish it. I was originally planning to stain and varathane it but there was an 'occurance' when routing the corners. There must have been a weak point in the maple that I used to do the corners with. When running the front corner off the maple sheared off and took a large piece of veneer with it. I didn't help that this is the worst veneer I have ever used. The maple veneer could easily be peeled off with your thumb. The glue that I used to attach the corners was far stronger then the glue on the veneer so when the 1/8" @ the center 4" piece of maple corner came off it took a 3" X 3" section of veneer to the left of the driver. :mad:

There was a great deal of negative emotion at that time. So I did the only logical thing I could. I finished installing the binding plate and driver and turned it on. Instant gratification.

I would like to thank everyone, especially TLS Guy for all the help with this build.
Women don't like the floor shaking. My wife doesn't like it either and makes me moderate the volume. The grandchildren love it when the floor shakes.

This really led me to maximize voice clarity of the center without ruining it and making it shouty.

Anyhow it seems the design works as advertized and you are enjoying your sub.

It is a pity about the veneer. I always used veneered MDF, I think the veneer bonds to it better.

If you can peel the veneer off, then you can re-veneer it, which is probably your best option now. Good veneers are spendy. You other option, is to get a smooth fiberglass finish and have a body shop shoot it a piano black finish. That is spendy also.

If you still have the pieces, you might be able to glue the pieces of veneer back on and carefully fill the gap.

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
I do have the pieces of veneer but I don't think that I will be able to glue them back on for the staining idea. The glue will almost definitely show through the cracks and not stain well.

Right now I am thinking about replacing the pieces and go for the gloss black finish. I am not in a hurry, I am too happy just listening!

**if anyone needs to know what I did there are some pics and I can give out the plans that I used to put it together.

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
Speaking of listening... Last weekend the family was gone so I put my system through a test. Watched a couple full movies, watched some 'intense' scenes from a few more movies and listened to a lot of music. All at reference level or slightly higher.

WOW I LOVE THIS THING!!!

I was able to make the sub/amp clip a bit during music playback (I didn't look during movie playback). I wasn't able to notice the clipping by listening, I noticed the clip LED on the amp flash. The system was run solidly for about 10 hours in total, the last couple hours I eased up and turned it down to -12.0Db. I thought it a nice thing to do after the reciever said I had heard enough and it wanted a break :rolleyes: (Denon overheat safety works!!)

During my listening I determined some things;
1. My center doesn't seem to measure up at high spl (at least compared to the ER18's)
2. I should probably invest in an amp for my front channels (any suggestions?)
3. I need to stop looking at partsexpress (I might get another!!!:eek:)
4. I want new side speakers (I was looking at aperion a while ago)

Damn hobbies/damn dreams/damn insufficient funds!!!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Speaking of listening... Last weekend the family was gone so I put my system through a test. Watched a couple full movies, watched some 'intense' scenes from a few more movies and listened to a lot of music. All at reference level or slightly higher.

WOW I LOVE THIS THING!!!

I was able to make the sub/amp clip a bit during music playback (I didn't look during movie playback). I wasn't able to notice the clipping by listening, I noticed the clip LED on the amp flash. The system was run solidly for about 10 hours in total, the last couple hours I eased up and turned it down to -12.0Db. I thought it a nice thing to do after the reciever said I had heard enough and it wanted a break :rolleyes: (Denon overheat safety works!!)

During my listening I determined some things;
1. My center doesn't seem to measure up at high spl (at least compared to the ER18's)
2. I should probably invest in an amp for my front channels (any suggestions?)
3. I need to stop looking at partsexpress (I might get another!!!:eek:)
4. I want new side speakers (I was looking at aperion a while ago)

Damn hobbies/damn dreams/damn insufficient funds!!!
I'm really pleased you are enjoying that sub. You must be listening at some unhealthy levels if you are clipping your amp with that sub.

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
I am not going to say that I wasn't listening at unhealthy levels, I will just say that it didn't sound like I was. Is it just me or does good sound not seem as loud? When it is clean and distortion free it just sounds good and not 'loud' to me (apparently I have bad connection in my head - If it sounds bad it is too loud).

I went to see a movie at the theater today with the guy that tested out my system with me. We listened to the theater splash bit (like the THX sound) or whatever it's called. I looked over at him and said 'Mine's better'. His reply 'Yeah' I have been ruined! Now I must stay home, Is there a way to get new release movies on bluray so I never have to leave my basement?:D

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I am not going to say that I wasn't listening at unhealthy levels, I will just say that it didn't sound like I was. Is it just me or does good sound not seem as loud? When it is clean and distortion free it just sounds good and not 'loud' to me (apparently I have bad connection in my head - If it sounds bad it is too loud).

I went to see a movie at the theater today with the guy that tested out my system with me. We listened to the theater splash bit (like the THX sound) or whatever it's called. I looked over at him and said 'Mine's better'. His reply 'Yeah' I have been ruined! Now I must stay home, Is there a way to get new release movies on bluray so I never have to leave my basement?:D
Yes, absolutely, effortless sound systems can achieve high spl without you knowing it.

My speakers here ruin people parade also. My friend Phil, warns people away from here. He says once you listen to this it is hard to listen to anything else again.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Is it just me or does good sound not seem as loud?
I first noticed that I couldn't gauge the volume without distortion being present a few years ago when I tried to talk over some B&W 804s. I was surprised that I had to yell. I think I learned to equate high SPLs with high distortion from a lifetime of listening to amps and speakers that were less than.

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
I think that others should try out this build to see for themselves. I will get together the plans that I used for it and post them here.

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
OMG!! I forgot about this thread!!!:eek: Here are the images to go with this build. If anyone wants the details just post here or msg me.

T

trnqk7

Full Audioholic
Would you mind posting the final dimensions of the box? OD is fine. I'm curious as to how massive this thing ended up. The pictures make it look large, but not huge. Just wondering if that's accurate or not. What was the rough cost breakdown for all materials?

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
24.5" W * 24.5" H (+2" feet) * 33.75" D (the driver surround sticks out another .75")

It takes two 4x8 sheets of what ever floats your boat. I used a veneer plywood (bad idea). The down side to this is that you require more than one sheet to do all of the outside faces. I just used the extra to make the interior braces.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
will work on it - gimme a week
24.5" W * 24.5" H (+2" feet) * 33.75" D (the driver surround sticks out another .75")

It takes two 4x8 sheets of what ever floats your boat. I used a veneer plywood (bad idea). The down side to this is that you require more than one sheet to do all of the outside faces. I just used the extra to make the interior braces.
Only 5 and half months later :p

T

trnqk7

Full Audioholic

Thanks for responding so quickly.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Sorry, things got busy and then I lost the specs. Then I forgot again. I am a bad person.....:(

I was actually on today!! :D
Now you have lived with that sub for a while, what are your impressions?

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
I love it!!!

I still think that it is still getting louder the more I listen to it. I am still planning on building a sister!!!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis