New Speakers or add a amp

F

fastfreddy

Junior Audioholic
Hi, Let me first say that I think this site is an excellent place for people to obtain outstanding info. Before I ask my question here is my current setup.A Denon 3805 with paradigm monitor 7's as fronts mini monitors as rears and a CC370 centre.The subwoofer is also Paradigm. Now my question. I am thinkng of two options, first to replace the monitor sevens to the studio Series.Second option to add a power amplifier looking at the anthem MCA 20 and the Rotel 1070. Would adding these amps to power the fronts improve the sound of the monitor sevens. My reason for wanting to do the upgrade is to improve my two channel stereo listening.
Thanks in advance.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
While giving your speakers more power will improve the sound (Paradigm like juice), it won't give nearly the improvement of upgrading the speakers themselves. If it's possible, haul some of your gear into the dealer to test it. Run your speakers off your 3805, then off the Rotel amp. The Rotel amp will give you more headroom and deliver more clean power, but I really don't think that it will make a big of a difference as new speakers.

R

RMK!

fastfreddy said:
Hi, Let me first say that I think this site is an excellent place for people to obtain outstanding info. Before I ask my question here is my current setup.A Denon 3805 with paradigm monitor 7's as fronts mini monitors as rears and a CC370 centre.The subwoofer is also Paradigm. Now my question. I am thinkng of two options, first to replace the monitor sevens to the studio Series.Second option to add a power amplifier looking at the anthem MCA 20 and the Rotel 1070. Would adding these amps to power the fronts improve the sound of the monitor sevens. My reason for wanting to do the upgrade is to improve my two channel stereo listening.
Thanks in advance.
I concur with Jaxvon. Having just run through this exercise myself, upgrading the speakers made the biggest difference. More power is good and should be the second priority.

I'm sure that someone will address the listening environment (room acoustics) and that is right there with speakers as a big factor in sound quality. There are many posts on this Forum dealing with room acoustics. I suggest you take a look at that as well.

S

Snarl

Audioholic
I'm inclined to think that the Denon has more than enough Juice for the 7's so I can't see where an larger Amp would help in this particular case. I have some 11's and 7's being driven by the Denon (sounds Awesome even at high levels) and there may be a case for more power to the 11's for an improvement but the 7's are in my opinion perfectly matched with the Denon 3805.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis