New speakers acquired today.

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
I didn't mean to. Really. It just happened.

I had no intention of buying anything today. Just a casual visit to a local dealer to poke around and kill time. And I end up walking out with a new pair of speakers. How did this happen? Let's examine.

I currently own a pair of B&W DM601 s3's. They were my first "real" speakers as I've only been involved with this hobby for a little less than a year. Good speakers to my ear. I hear a lot of people who think they're overpriced. Overpriced insinuates they cost too much for what you get. I disagree. Pricey? Yes. Can you get something as good if not slightly better for a little less money? Sure. But at $450 a pair, they seemed reasonable and I've been happy with them. However, and this is a big however. One day came across a Paradigm dealer and listened to the Studio 20's (I stick with bookshelf speakers). Wow. That's all I could say. They sounded amazing. However, I don't pull down a lot of cabbage and at $800/pr, knew they were out of my league. No big deal. But I did think about them. A lot. But, I just couldn't bring myself to drop the coin.

Then today happened. I stopped in to the Paradigm dealer and what sits there on the floor in boxes? A pair of recently returned Studio 20 v.3's. The purchaser bought them, had 'em for a week, then returned them to upgarde to Signatures. Lucky him. My mouth watered. "How much?" I wondered. Talked the the dealer. He said "lemme see what I can do" and walked away. Came back with a price of $600. $200 less than their sticker. Plus, I hear Paradigm is doing an across the board mark up as of 2/1, so potentially more saved based on this increase. I made the dreaded call; the wife. Her response? "Well, at $200 off, that's a no-brainer. Get 'em." Did I mention she's the best woman on the planet? So there you go. I am now the owner of a pair of Paradigm Studio 20's and couldn't be happeier.

I've read a few posts lately of folks really admiring the Paradigm Studio/Marantz combo. Lucky for me, my receiver is a Marantz SR8400. I hooked 'em up and immediately loved the sound. Since I had no intentions of getting anything, I obviously still had my B&W's. With 2 extra stands and some extra cable, I was able to do a little a/b with the 601's and the studio 20's. Pretty significant difference. I never really noticed how pronounced the midrange was on the B&W's. Not in a bad way. But when I'd go back and forth bt. the 2, the midrange always jumped out with the B&W's. Is that a pronounced midrange for the B&W's, or a recessed midrange on the Paradigms? I dunno. But I do know I prefer the studios. Also, there is significantly more bass output with the studio 20's? How, I don't know. The driver is only slightly larger than the 601's. The cabinet is much larger, so perhaps that also adds to it. I can honestly say that at low to moderate leverls, I could listen to the studio 20's sans subwoofer and be perfectly happy. They sound that good. Also, I've often heard the term "boxy" about some speakers and never really understood that, or pretended to understand it, being as I'm relatively new to the hobby. But now I think I do. If I had to characterize the main difference when switching back and forth, it would be that the B&W's sounded more "boxy." Maybe I'm assigning the wrong attribute, but that's kinda what it sounds like.

One thing to keep in mind is that I am in no way bashing my B&W's. I still consider them great speakers and were this deal to not come along, I'd still be proud to call them my mains. However, the studios I feel are that much better...as well they should be at nearly 2x the price. Seeing as I got them at $150 more than I paid for my 601's, I feel like I got a good deal. They sound great to me and that's all the matters in the end.

Just wanted to share my excitement.

PitBull

PitBull

Enthusiast
Could I have the Reader's Digest version? J/K.
Congrats on your new purchase, and not to mention, your good deal. My wife certainly wouldn't just say "go for it".

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
Ha. Yeah can you tell I was excited based on the lenght of my post? :D

Yeah, the little lady is not too keen on the audio stuff, but she's not completely against it either. Luckily she understands that it makes me happy and so long as I don't go overboard, she's cool with it. But yeah, the vote of confidence from her really made it a done deal. Nothing like walking in the front door when you haven't received "funds authorization" from the "CFO." :D

ndsh

ndsh

Enthusiast
Studio 20s

An excellent score. I know where you're coming from. It was the price tag that forced me in a different direction as well.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Congrats man

corysmith01 said:
Ha. Yeah can you tell I was excited based on the lenght of my post? :D

Yeah, the little lady is not too keen on the audio stuff, but she's not completely against it either. Luckily she understands that it makes me happy and so long as I don't go overboard, she's cool with it. But yeah, the vote of confidence from her really made it a done deal. Nothing like walking in the front door when you haven't received "funds authorization" from the "CFO." :D
Sometimes good things happen accidently or was it accidently???

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
Let's just say it happened accidentally on purpose. ;)

majorloser

majorloser

WAF translation: There is something she's been wanting to buy that she would feel guilty to purchase. She now has full permission to buy with no guilt since you just bought something.

or

in other words

YOU OWE HER :D

Congratulations on the good price though.

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
HA! That's a good point. We are moving to New York at the end of next week and she's already up there having just started a new job...so I'm thinking there's probably a new pair of shoes or a handbag in her future.

And thanks. I'm really stoked I got them at that price. I often see 'em go a little cheaper on audiogon, but this is full warranty, from a dealer and I drove home with 'em...no waiting for shipping. Good times. I'll be up late tonight annoying my neighbors.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
corysmith01 said:
HA! That's a good point. We are moving to New York at the end of next week and she's already up there having just started a new job...so I'm thinking there's probably a new pair of shoes or a handbag in her future.

And thanks. I'm really stoked I got them at that price. I often see 'em go a little cheaper on audiogon, but this is full warranty, from a dealer and I drove home with 'em...no waiting for shipping. Good times. I'll be up late tonight annoying my neighbors.
Lucky dog! I really like the studio's myself. I have my eyes on the 60's @ Approx. $1600/pr. When I started looking $1500 was my budget for all seven speakers. My wonderful wife said I could but my problem is me. I like the monitor7's also so...maybe.

Anyway, since your moving don't worry about those neighbors!!!:D

SBF1

p.s. If you get arrested I had nothing to do with it.:eek:

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
corysmith01 said:
She's probably got a new boyfriend...:D

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
She's probably got a new boyfriend
No...that would require her okaying the purchase of the Signature S8's at minimum. :D

rikmeister

rikmeister

Audioholic
you got a great deal. most of the time you find them for around 575.00 used on audio

gon and like you said no shipping charges and basically brand new with full waranty. you made a great deal mate. enjoy enjoy. oh did the wife tell you she is having triplets yet. hehehe.

J

JES14

Audioholic
COngrats on the buy! Nothing like a great buy to get excited. I have been drooling over the 20's as well, but the $800 price tag scares me as well. Just goes to show why we drop in at our fav. stores, never know what deal may be there.
Enjoy.

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
oh did the wife tell you she is having triplets ye
Oh good lord don't let that happen! :D Don't get me wrong...I want kids, just not yet. Yikes. Triplets in Manhattan. I can't imagine.

COngrats on the buy! Nothing like a great buy to get excited. I have been drooling over the 20's as well, but the $800 price tag scares me as well. Just goes to show why we drop in at our fav. stores, never know what deal may be there. Enjoy
Thanks! Yeah I know. I actually think $800 isn't that bad a price for those speakers...if you've got that kind of cash. I personally could never stomach it. But at $600, I had to jump on 'em. Of course there was a lot of "well, iI could sell my B&W's, that would bring me $X amount of cash...and then I have those golf clubs I could sell...and then..." And yeah, just a chance encounter...just happened to drop in and *viola* hello new speakers.

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
Don't know if cross-forum-pollenating is frowned upon, or if this is really old news, but since the studio 20's had been off my radar for a while, I just went poking around to see what news I could find on 'em and found that Secrets picked them as their bookshelf loudspeaker of the year. Now I can forward this link to my old lady and use it as justification that I'm a savvy shopper :D

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_12_4/secrets-best-of-2005-awards-12-2005.html

sts9fan

sts9fan

Banned
I love my studio 60 v3s and think the whole line is good stuff. My woman is not exactly into the audio stuff either but I tell her at least I am not buying crack:D
I have just got the greenlight for a Odyssey Khartago amp so I am super jazzed. My method is take your time. I first say something in passing and slowly work my way up to the goods...I love my sugar momma:D

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
Just a report back now that I've had these about a week if anyone's interested. They don't cease to amaze me. There are two things, in the week I've had with them that have really stood out.

One is the amount of bass running them sans-sub. In fact, when I switch from source direct to a 2.1 environment (with sub), it almost seems as though the low frequencies are a bit bloated. After a minute or two, it sounds just right, but I guess what I'm getting at is that I could totally live with these speakers without a sub and be fine...at least for music. I haven't experimented with movies yet, but I suspect having the sub for movies will still be critical.

Number two is the soundstage on these. It seems so big and so projected. Much moreso than I remember with the B&W's. Now with that said, of course I'm "remembering" with the 601's, which we all know isn't that reliable. But my perception is that the 20's have it all over them.

I've put 'em through their paces too, listening to everything from composer Max Richter to the metal of Mastadon to the rhymes of MF Doom and they seem to shine equally with everything.

The newly-implemented Marantz/Studio 20 combo has me grinnin' from ear to ear still, so that's a good sign.

Attachments

KC23

KC23

Audioholic
majorloser said:
WAF translation: There is something she's been wanting to buy that she would feel guilty to purchase. She now has full permission to buy with no guilt since you just bought something.

or

in other words

YOU OWE HER :D

Congratulations on the good price though.
Don't know much about those speakers, but definately keep the wife.:)

You will probably get hit up for something she's been waiting for, but go with it. Give and take is a wonderful thing in a marriage.

ps BTW, sales 101. Once you've closed the deal say no more to the wife regardless if you think it'll help you wife feel better about it. A week later perhaps after its all set up.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis