New router recommendations

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC (HTPC) & Media Servers' started by pewternhrata, Feb 12, 2017.

1. panteragstk Audioholic General

panteragstk
    When it comes to networking I've gone away from the consumer stuff. I had an ASUS Dark Knight that worked well for many years until I upped my internet connection speed to 300mbps and it couldn't handle it with an aftermarket firmware. Never thought that'd be an issue, but it was. The stock firmware worked fine, but had other issues that I just couldn't fix without the aftermarket firmware.

I now use a Sophos box (linux UMT), but I'm probably going to go with more Ubiquity equipment considering how good the Unifi WAP LR I purchased is.

Not as cheap as the stuff BSA posted, but I've got a lot of area to fill.

One of the good things about a lot of the routers out there is that if you really want you can change the stock firmware to Tomato or DDWRT and gain a lot more functionality. In my case Tomato actually fixed an issue I had with the 5ghz band disconnecting for a few seconds at random.

Some good info is on SmallNetBuilder. They test tons of consumer routers.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. BoredSysAdmin Audioholic Overlord

BoredSysAdmin
    Asus N66 was great device, but it's time passed. I bet Asus's AC68/AC1900 could've handled 300mbps no problem. In fact I bet more consumer/home routers on market today won't be able to hand 1gig speeds
    Sophos UTM is probably one of the best SMB firewalls available. I have one running at the client and we both very happy with it. Ubiquity is also makes great stuff, but Wifi and routers. In Fact they recently hired guy who created and founded pfsense (Chris Buechler)
    Only downsides, besides higher price, is that these devices aren't really meant for non-techy person.
    It's not as hard as cisco/juniper router, but much more than typical consumer hardware.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. panteragstk Audioholic General

panteragstk
    Very true. With my 1gbps connection I needed all the processing power I could get. I'm pretty happy with this setup.
  4. Chu Gai Audioholic Samurai

Chu Gai
    Received it today. Depending on what the wife is doing later, I'll see about hooking it up and running it through its paces over the weekend.
  5. pewternhrata Audioholic

pewternhrata
    No complaints on the belkin n600, strong signal throughout my place, no issues. Im at 10Mbps and will soon bump to 20, if I don't really notice a difference I will stay at 10. Not sure if it's speed, but sometimes hulu, netflix, prime seem a bit sluggish, possibly not enough bandwidth to support them?
  6. BoredSysAdmin Audioholic Overlord

BoredSysAdmin
    I won't trust ISP's promises. Test it yourself here: https://www.dslreports.com/speedtest
  7. pewternhrata Audioholic

pewternhrata
    I use speed test on note5 and laptop (wired) get around 9Mbps on both. Just tried that one I got around 9 on my phone, I'll check the laptop later on, thanks for that one, I like to use 2 or so to compare between.
  8. rnatalli Audioholic Ninja

rnatalli
    I personally like routers that run DD-WRT, but there are a lot of good options out there.
  9. little wing Full Audioholic

little wing
    I have been using a Net Gear R6250 for about 3 years now and it's been nothing but great. I currently have 9 devices connected to it. Wired - Receiver, blue Ray player. Wireless - cell phones, laptop, desktop, etc. When I do a speed test on any wireless PC, I get over 70mbs of download speed and 15mbs of upload speed. It may be a little dated now, in terms of specs, but it's been a great performer.
  10. BoredSysAdmin Audioholic Overlord

BoredSysAdmin
    Make sure that you have the latest firmware as your netgear model is known to have several critical security vulnerabilities :
    Google : netgear r6250 vulnerability
  11. little wing Full Audioholic

little wing
    there was a firmware update today. I downloaded it. Thank you BoredSysAdmin, I appreciate it.
    Earl