speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Hello folks, it has been a good while since I last posted. Basically, I am thinking about getting a small HT together in my small apartment. That being said, I am trying to find a really good buy. As such, I have been spending a lot of time on the accessories4less.com website. Thus, I have found (4) receivers that really have my attention. They are as follows:

(1) Denon AVR-X2000 for ~ $330 shipped. It is rated at 95X7 and has MultEQ XT weighing in at 20.94 lbs. One thing I have learned is Denon is very good at accurately rating their receivers.

(2) Denon AVR- E400 for only $249 shipped!. The thing is the E400 is rated at 90X7 but only has the Mult EQ not the XT weighing in at 20.7 lbs. Basically, the E400 looks to be the X2000 minus XT. So, is the XT worth the extra $80???? The power difference here is negligible.

(3) Denon AVR3000 for ~ $450 shipped. It is rated at 105X7 and also has the MultEQ XT weighing in at 23.58 lbs. Certainly a beefier power supply.

(4) Yammy RX-A810 for ~ $450 shipped! It is rates at 100X7 and has YPAO w/RSC weighing in at 24.5 lbs. Yammy also does a good job of accurately rating the power in their receivers.

Now, more specifically is the E400 an incredible buy? I am NOT concerned about buying refurbished. I have done so in the past w/o any problems. So, of these listed which is the better buy AND why do YOU say that? I am trying not to spend too much money. But, I also want something decent. The speakers I have been looking at can be found on Polk Audio's ebay store. Not afraid to buy my speakers refurbished. My living room is NOT very large more on the medium side of scale. I only have room for a 5.1 or 5.2, but I do want to explore adding front height or width speakers down the road to extend the front stage. So, any input would be quite helpful. Not sure which of the Polks I will end up with for now. One final note, I have used MultEQ, YPAO (not RSC), and MCACC in the past. All did a great job for me, but the MultEQ impressed me more. So, I am leaning towards one of the Denons. However, the Yammy looks quite nice as well. Please help!

Cheers,

Phil

G

GIEGAR

Full Audioholic
Hi Phil, out of those you've listed my pick would be the Denon AVR-X2000. The step up to XT is well worth it for $80 I reckon. The E400 appears built to a price with some el-cheapo features, like spring-loaded binding posts. Beyond the sort of money for the X2000, I think you're into diminishing returns territory (especially in a smallish room) and the extra $150 would be better spent on speakers. Also, check to see if the slightly older Denon AVR-2113CI | Accessories4less ($300) is missing any features you really need. Total price might be much the same though once you add shipping, so the X2000 is probably still the value pick.

For high performance speakers at a reasonable price, check out the SE series from Ascend Acoustics. Three CBM-170's would be a formidable front end in a smaller room and the HTM-200's (sealed) are ideal for surround and height use.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Good to see you posting again, Phil!

I posted a review of the E-400 here last year, and it has a video if you're interested. The review sums up my thoughts on it. Btw, the spring clips are on it are actually very well made, but the placement of one of them can be problematic for banana plugs.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Hi Phil, out of those you've listed my pick would be the Denon AVR-X2000. The step up to XT is well worth it for $80 I reckon. The E400 appears built to a price with some el-cheapo features, like spring-loaded binding posts. Beyond the sort of money for the X2000, I think you're into diminishing returns territory (especially in a smallish room) and the extra $150 would be better spent on speakers. Also, check to see if the slightly older Denon AVR-2113CI | Accessories4less ($300) is missing any features you really need. Total price might be much the same though once you add shipping, so the X2000 is probably still the value pick.

For high performance speakers at a reasonable price, check out the SE series from Ascend Acoustics. Three CBM-170's would be a formidable front end in a smaller room and the HTM-200's (sealed) are ideal for surround and height use.
Yeah, I agree in that the Ascend speakers are very good. I have owned the 340's across the front with the 170's in the rear. However, I do NOT plan to spend that much money again. Just don't have the budget for that right now. As such, that is why the Polk Store via ebay looks quite appetizing to me right now. I have also owned the RTi6's and really liked them. The Ascends were noticeably better no doubt, but for my needs the RTi6's will suffice. I am also looking at the Infinity Primus speakers as well. Believe it or not I have also owned them........lol!!!!! Guess that is why many that know me refer to me as "Speakerman". It kind of fits........LOL. I will look into the 2113. Thanks for your advice!

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Good to see you posting again, Phil!

I posted a review of the E-400 here last year, and it has a video if you're interested. The review sums up my thoughts on it. Btw, the spring clips are on it are actually very well made, but the placement of one of them can be problematic for banana plugs.
Thanks for the link Adam. I am running a bit short on time right now. But, when I get home I will be sure to read YOUR review. Not too concerned about the spring clips but more on performance. However, I have always used banana plugs in the past. Hope all is well my friend!

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I think XT is well worth the $80.

I would get a like-new X2000 from an authorized dealer for $320 shipped - full manufacturer warranty.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00CALM2KS/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1414422257&sr=8-1&keywords=denon x2000&condition=used

Buying through Amazon + credit card definitely adds protection for you just in case.

I know some guys don't have any issues buying REFURBISHED. But I would never buy refurbished personally. Just me. :D
Wow! Moderator now I see.....????? I honestly have been leaning towards the X2000 with MultEQ XT. Not too afraid to buy refurbished. But, if I can get a new one with better warranty for a good price why not right? So, I will look into it. Thanks for YOUR advice as well. Hope all is well my friend! BTW, where is John Garcia and Peng? Both know a lot about receivers.

Cheers,

Phil

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Wow! Moderator now I see.....????? I honestly have been leaning towards the X2000 with MultEQ XT. Not too afraid to buy refurbished. But, if I can get a new one with better warranty for a good price why not right? So, I will look into it. Thanks for YOUR advice as well. Hope all is well my friend! BTW, where is John Garcia and Peng? Both know a lot about receivers.

Cheers,

Phil
Yup. Moving up in the world. ;) Just got my 5 RBH SX-T2/R towers. :D

Give PENG and the guys some time and they'll respond too. :D

I would also call Electronics Expo. Talk to them and see if they can get you a brand new X2000 for the price of a refurbished!

X4000 should be $650. X2000 should be $350. Good luck. :)

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Yup. Moving up in the world. ;) Just got my 5 RBH SX-T2/R towers. :D

Give PENG and the guys some time and they'll respond too. :D

I would also call Electronics Expo. Talk to them and see if they can get you a brand new X2000 for the price of a refurbished!

X4000 should be $650. X2000 should be $350. Good luck. :)
Hey, nothing like promotion these days. BTW, I would LOVE to get the X4000, but it is just out of my budget right now. Even at acc4less it is too much for my budget. However, I have noticed that Crutchfield does have the Onkyo for only $499.99! Here is a link: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_580TXN727/Onkyo-TX-NR727.html?tp=179 Certainly not a bad deal. However, like many I am concerned about the heat issues that are known regarding Onkyo. There are also hdmi issues from what I garner. No need for those kind of problems. There is also this one: http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-VSX-1123-7-2-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B00BKXCKRC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1414447214&sr=8-2&keywords=Pioneer+receivers However, I am NOT quite sure this is a new one or not. It looks to be new. I have liked Pioneer receivers ever since I owned the 1015. MCACC did a fantastic job with my set-up I had at the time. But, in all honesty Auyddesey impressed me the most. Thus, I had a Denon receiver AND Ascend 340's across the front. Lets just say it was so LUSH! Hence, very detailed, yet maintaining a buttery smooth rendition. So natural sounding that literally blew me away. So, what do YOU think about the Onkyo or the Pioneer? I am interested in what YOU have to say. Really appreciate YOUR input.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Wow Adam! Very nice write-up. I have learned some things just reading YOUR review. For the price of the E400, really is an impressive receiver. I am not too concerned about the SACD/remote issues you had. I am a bit concerned about NOT being able to have different calibrations like YOU, but it is not a deal breaker for me. Furthermore, the MultEQ vs. MultEQ XT is much more of an issue for me. But, it may also not be a deal breaker. MultEQ does give me up to (6) positions and I do reside in a small apartment. My plan is to possibly have (2) Hsu 8" subs OR (1) 10" Hsu sub. More on that later as it may be a good while before that happens. Money is always my biggest concern......LOL!!!!! If the E400 had MultEQ XT, then it would easily be a "no brainer" for me. Thanks for YOUR review. It has helped me more than YOU will ever know. Okay-now YOU can pat YOURSELF on the back..........hahahahahahaha! BTW, what do YOU think of the Pioneer VSX-1123 as compared to the Denon AVR-X2000 vs. the Onkyo TX-NR727? The 727 is really at the top of my price range meaning I will have to make adjustments in other areas such as speakers. Right now, I am leaning more towards the X2000 or the 1123. Have NOT ruled out the 727 just yet.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Well, I have decided to go ahead and rule out the Onkyo. It seems that they are still having HDMI board troubles probably due to over-heating. I also don't like it that Onkyo has decided to exclude Auyddesy on their newer models. Not good not good imho. That one was easy.......LOL!!!!!!

Cheers,

Phil

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hey, nothing like promotion these days. BTW, I would LOVE to get the X4000, but it is just out of my budget right now. Even at acc4less it is too much for my budget. However, I have noticed that Crutchfield does have the Onkyo for only $499.99! Here is a link: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_580TXN727/Onkyo-TX-NR727.html?tp=179 Certainly not a bad deal. However, like many I am concerned about the heat issues that are known regarding Onkyo. There are also hdmi issues from what I garner. No need for those kind of problems. There is also this one: http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-VSX-1123-7-2-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B00BKXCKRC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1414447214&sr=8-2&keywords=Pioneer+receivers However, I am NOT quite sure this is a new one or not. It looks to be new. I have liked Pioneer receivers ever since I owned the 1015. MCACC did a fantastic job with my set-up I had at the time. But, in all honesty Auyddesey impressed me the most. Thus, I had a Denon receiver AND Ascend 340's across the front. Lets just say it was so LUSH! Hence, very detailed, yet maintaining a buttery smooth rendition. So natural sounding that literally blew me away. So, what do YOU think about the Onkyo or the Pioneer? I am interested in what YOU have to say. Really appreciate YOUR input.

Cheers,

Phil
I personally wouldn't buy the Onkyo, Pioneer, or anything else except Denon. :D

If I had more money to just waste, I would get McIntosh with Audyssey. :D

I can't buy anything that doesn't have Audyssey Dynamic EQ. :D

Should give Electronics Expo and see if they would sell the X2000 for $350 shipped brand new.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I personally wouldn't buy the Onkyo, Pioneer, or anything else except Denon. :D

If I had more money to just waste, I would get McIntosh with Audyssey. :D

I can't buy anything that doesn't have Audyssey Dynamic EQ. :D

Should give Electronics Expo and see if they would sell the X2000 for $350 shipped brand new.
Well, it looks like it will be either the X2000 OR the 1123. Of the two, I am leaning towards the X2000. I will give Electronics Expo a call and see what they will do on a new X2000. The 1123 comes with ADVANCED MCACC. Not really too sure how much better that is when compared to just MCACC. I do know, that MCACC did a great job for me when I owned the Pioneer 1015. Going to do a bit more research on it before rendering my final decision. Thanks once again for your help.

Cheers,

Phil

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
My Onkyo works fine currently. I only use the amp section for surrounds though.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
My Onkyo works fine currently. I only use the amp section for surrounds though.
Glad your Onkyo is giving you good service. They just scare me. I called Electronics Expo to see what kind of deal I could get on the X2000. Still waiting for a returned phone call. Maybe I can get a good deal. Hope all is well your way my friend. Go Big Blue!

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Just spoke with someone over at Electronics Expo regarding the Denon AVR-X2000. Harold told me I could get it for $459 plus another $43 for S&H. He also told me that was the BEST they could do. That is NOT the deal I was hoping for. I also know that it does NOT cost that much to ship. Not too sure what is going on there?????? Therefore, for $502 I think I can get a better deal. The 1123 is looking mighty fine right about now. I may give amazon a call. Noticed Best Buy has the 1123 on their website AND they will price match amazon. Much to do in so little time.....LOL!!!!!

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
So, here I am now trying to figure out which is the best way for me to go. That being said, I have narrowed it down to the Denon AVR-X2000 refurbished OR a new Pioneer VSX-1123. So, any advice in this regard is a BIG help. Adam's review of the E-400 sure has really helped. I just need a little push......LOL!!!!!! Where is John or Peng or even Brian????? Yeah, I am hinting........LOL!!!!!! Acc4less has a good rep. Not really have read anything bad about them. But, the 1123 just looks delicious to me......;)!!!!! If the E-400 had MultEQ XT, then it would surely be a no brainer for me. So, in a small apartment do any of YOU feel like the MultEQ would suffice w/o giving up too much? Or, perhaps the MultEQ XT really would make that much of a difference? I am sure MCACC would also do a really good job. My head is spinning......LOL!!!!

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just spoke with someone over at Electronics Expo regarding the Denon AVR-X2000. Harold told me I could get it for $459 plus another $43 for S&H. He also told me that was the BEST they could do. That is NOT the deal I was hoping for. I also know that it does NOT cost that much to ship. Not too sure what is going on there?????? Therefore, for $502 I think I can get a better deal. The 1123 is looking mighty fine right about now. I may give amazon a call. Noticed Best Buy has the 1123 on their website AND they will price match amazon. Much to do in so little time.....LOL!!!!!

Cheers,

Phil
Not a good price at all. Too bad. Amazon has the E400 for $350 new (MSRP $650). Watch for the same or better on the X2000.

With all the new models released, all the old models should be about 50% off.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Not a good price at all. Too bad. Amazon has the E400 for $350 new (MSRP $650). Watch for the same or better on the X2000.

With all the new models released, all the old models should be about 50% off.
Yeah, I thought I would get a better price. Maybe I just need to wait a little longer? Perhaps I can get a better deal when the new models start rolling in. YOU agree?

Cheers,

Phil

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, I thought I would get a better price. Maybe I just need to wait a little longer? Perhaps I can get a better deal when the new models start rolling in. YOU agree?

Cheers,

Phil
Call them back and tell them that there is a demo unit for $270 on AMAZON. See if they could match that. Always give them a target to match.

Also a LIKE-NEW demo unit for $305 on AMAZON.

And tell them shipping from the Amazon dealers is only about $13!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00CALM2KS/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1414590483&sr=8-1&keywords=denon+x2000&condition=used

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis