New receiver suggestions.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Ok guys back to my dilemma:D
I wouldn't waste my time on either Pioneer or Yamaha for a receiver.

I honestly think as you were when posting this thread, that a refurbished Marantz SR5010 or SR5011 would be a good choice.

I own a SR5010 and I like it. It replaces a NAD T763 and I don't regret the replacement. To prolong its life, since it seems to have a tendency to heat more than some others, I highly recommend the reasonably priced AC Infinity fans that Amazon sell. I am using some with excellent results and they are rather quiet. You can install them either on top of the receiver or fix them to a cabinet wall. A pair with a total of 80 cfm is sufficient.

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
The Denon AVR3200 also seems to be a good option. However, as compared to the Marantz SR5010 or 5011, it doesn't have pre-outs. That could represent a a serious limitation if one would like to use external amps for one reason or another in the future.

For me, an AV receiver should come with pre-outs.

Last edited:
Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
My apologies to the OP for taking the thread a bit off course :). Though in a way this is all good information to better arm you in your decision. Never mind my post count, I'm practically a newb compared to the knowledge base of some of these guys here, but I've stuck around as long as I have for two reasons: 1.) to soak up as much of their knowledge and wisdom as I can so I in turn can make better decisions on my gear and setup and 2.) simply bc it's a great little community of intelligent folks with good senses of humor and I like engaging in various discussions. I would invite you to do the same and stick around awhile. Trust me you'll be better off for it. :)

That being said, you've got two choices: either upgrade to a 4k receiver with one of the suggestions mentioned here or get a dual HDMI output player and run your audio to your existing receiver with the 4k video fed straight to the TV. In all likelihood either option will serve you well so it's really your call as to whether you feel you likewise need an audio upgrade. If you're happy with your sound now, you can get your connectivity and save yourself some cash; put it towards better speakers or a higher quality sub and you'll likely see much more sound improvement with your existing receiver than you would by getting a new receiver with your existing speakers/sub. That's all I was trying to get at, that you don't necessarily have to upgrade the receiver but I you've decided that you need to, these guys have offered good advice. Best of luck and hope you get what you're looking for!

PENG great post and I enjoyed the read as well thanks for digging that up!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The Denon AVR3200 also seems to be a good option. However, as compared to the Marantz SR5010 or 5011, it doesn't have pre-outs. That could represent a a serious limitation if one would like to use external amps for one reason or another in the future.

For me, an AV receiver should come with pre-outs.
Your information is incorrect. The AVR-X3200W definitely has 7.2 preouts, even the 3100 has them. $499 is a good price but I would stretch the budget to get the X3300W ($799) or the X4200W ($749.99 refurbished) for the much better Audyssey XT32 Sub EQ HT.

https://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-X3300W-Channel-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B01HL8KYAY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489751089&sr=8-1&keywords=denon+avr-x3300w

The X4200W is comparable to the Marantz SR7010, just less the multi-channel analog input that most people don't use any more.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Forgot the links, here they are:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx4200w/denon-avr-x4200w-7.2-ch-x-125-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/denon-avr-x4200w-av-receiver-review-test-bench#dUKSajTDOK1TVTU1.97

Two Channels Continuously Driven, 4-Ohm Loads 215.9 watts

For $180 more, the Denon is a much better choice (at least 1.5 notches above) than the Marantz SR5011, Halon's experience with the his SR6011 also scares me a little though I would still bet there's something wrong with his unit.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx4200w/denon-avr-x4200w-7.2-ch-x-125-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/denon-avr-x4200w-av-receiver-review-test-bench#dUKSajTDOK1TVTU1.97

For $180 more, the Denon is a much better choice (at least 1.5 notches above) than the Marantz SR5011, Halon's experience with the his SR6011 also scares me a little though I would still bet there's something wrong with his unit.
Defect or not, the Marantz's run HOT. That's confirmed by many owners too so it wasn't just mine. That alone made me more than nervous.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Defect or not, the Marantz's run HOT. That's confirmed by many owners too so it wasn't just mine. That alone made me more than nervous.
I think running hot could be a good sign because that typically could be due to higher bias, so closer to class A at very low output, say below a couple of watts when the amp stays most of the time. It could also be inadequate ventilation and heat sinks but I don't see much signs of such. My Bryston amp runs quite warm just sitting there doing nothing.:D Again, I am recommending Denon now, thanks to you.:D:D

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Your information is incorrect. The AVR-X3200W definitely has 7.2 preouts, even the 3100 has them. $499 is a good price but I would stretch the budget to get the X3300W ($799) or the X4200W ($749.99 refurbished) for the much better Audyssey XT32 Sub EQ HT.

https://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-X3300W-Channel-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B01HL8KYAY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489751089&sr=8-1&keywords=denon+avr-x3300w

The X4200W is comparable to the Marantz SR7010, just less the multi-channel analog input that most people don't use any more.
I had had a look at a back photo of the AVR3200 model and there were no pre-outs showing.:)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I had had a look at a back photo of the AVR3200 model and there were no pre-outs showing.:)
Sorry, I took a shortcut and skipped the X and W, but I thought it would be understood that I referred to the AVR-X3200W, not the 20 years old AVR3200 lol.:D

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan

That's an amazing performance at 4 ohms for a currently available receiver. This AVR3200W also puts out a very decent wattage with 5 channels driven.

I agree with your wise recommendation.

That receiver surely must have a more solid power supply than most recently available AV receivers and for a decent price too.:)

Last edited:
D

dhark

Junior Audioholic

Thanks for your help. What do you think about the 3300? It's $100 cheaper than the older 4200, seems to have most of the features of the 4200 just 20w less power?

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I completely agree with this. I went to the local BB at least a half dozen times to listen to receivers before I made my choice, and every time I would touch the top of a Marantz or Denon receiver they were extremely hot! Where as the Yamaha was not. This is just my opinion, but I wouldn't call a Yamaha receiver a waste of time at all. I've had the 3060 for more than a month now and have nothing but good things to say about it.

Just my 2 cents..

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for your help. What do you think about the 3300? It's $100 cheaper than the older 4200, seems to have most of the features of the 4200 just 20w less power?
Yes, the x3300w would also be a great choice but the x4200w has better DACs, same as those in the Marantz flagship SR7010/7011.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
I completely agree with this. I went to the local BB at least a half dozen times to listen to receivers before I made my choice, and every time I would touch the top of a Marantz or Denon receiver they were extremely hot! Where as the Yamaha was not. This is just my opinion, but I wouldn't call a Yamaha receiver a waste of time at all. I've had the 3060 for more than a month now and have nothing but good things to say about it.

Just my 2 cents..
My Yammy RX-A2060 has been treating me quite well. She runs warm but not unusually warm for an amp simply doing its job. Brute force power and a nice sound at that.

One to add to the plus side for Yamaha, or particularly YPAO vs. Audyssey. Audyssey does not allow any custom EQ tweaking after it's run unless (if I recall) you start from scratch and manually configure everything yourself. But then you're losing any advantages built into XT32 and SubEQ. Least with YPAO you can copy over the calibrated settings and dial it to taste from there. That's what I did and it makes a huge difference.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
My Yammy RX-A2060 has been treating me quite well. She runs warm but not unusually warm for an amp simply doing its job. Brute force power and a nice sound at that.

One to add to the plus side for Yamaha, or particularly YPAO vs. Audyssey. Audyssey does not allow any custom EQ tweaking after it's run unless (if I recall) you start from scratch and manually configure everything yourself. But then you're losing any advantages built into XT32 and SubEQ. Least with YPAO you can copy over the calibrated settings and dial it to taste from there. That's what I did and it makes a huge difference.
Ok! I have not done that. I don't have experience with adjusting EQ manually. I ran YPAO, adjusted speakers to small with a 60Hz crossover, and chose the "Flat" setting. It sounds good to me. Although I would be interested in learning more about manually adjusting the EQ, if it would improve the sound. Did you use some kind of measuring software with a mic or EQ by ear?

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Ok! I have not done that. I don't have experience with adjusting EQ manually. I ran YPAO, adjusted speakers to small with a 60Hz crossover, and chose the "Flat" setting. It sounds good to me. Although I would be interested in learning more about manually adjusting the EQ, if it would improve the sound. Did you use some kind of measuring software with a mic or EQ by ear?
Nope just by ear and I honestly didn't tweak it that much outside of the setting YPAO chose. Mostly adjusted the center channel to bring in a bit more warmth.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
I have REW but not a calibrated mic for it. I tried running it with my YPAO mic just to see how it operated but I couldn't get the dang thing to work lol

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have REW but not a calibrated mic for it. I tried running it with my YPAO mic just to see how it operated but I couldn't get the dang thing to work lol
You really need something like the Dayton UMM-6 or miniDSP Umik-1.....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis