New receiver, no picture...

A

alexwakelin

Full Audioholic
The receiver I had driving my pc speakers went out, so I moved my Sony receiver into the office and picked up a new receiver for the living room. I decided on the Insignia NS-R5101HD since it decodes the HD formats and was $100 off. My htpc is hooked up to the receiver with a DVI to HDMI cable and then an HDMI cable from the receiver to the tv. I never had any problems with this setup with my Sony receiver. With the new receiver I get a picture for a few seconds when the pc boots up, I see the BIOS screen but as soon as windows loads up the picture goes out and my tv displays "no signal".

Any ideas on what could be causing this? Like I said, I never had any problems with the Sony receiver. Nothing has changed with my setup except for swapping out the receiver. I know it can't be anything wrong with the tv or htpc since they both work fine plugging the pc straight into the tv.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insignia®+-+500W+5.1-Channel+A/V+Home+Theater+Receiver/9320335.p?id=1218084659399&skuId=9320335

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The receiver I had driving my pc speakers went out, so I moved my Sony receiver into the office and picked up a new receiver for the living room. I decided on the Insignia NS-R5101HD since it decodes the HD formats and was $100 off. My htpc is hooked up to the receiver with a DVI to HDMI cable and then an HDMI cable from the receiver to the tv. I never had any problems with this setup with my Sony receiver. With the new receiver I get a picture for a few seconds when the pc boots up, I see the BIOS screen but as soon as windows loads up the picture goes out and my tv displays "no signal".

Any ideas on what could be causing this? Like I said, I never had any problems with the Sony receiver. Nothing has changed with my setup except for swapping out the receiver. I know it can't be anything wrong with the tv or htpc since they both work fine plugging the pc straight into the tv.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insignia®+-+500W+5.1-Channel+A/V+Home+Theater+Receiver/9320335.p?id=1218084659399&skuId=9320335
My guess is that your pc is not fully HDCP compliant and does not have repeater architecture.

I suspect your old receiver was from before the requirement for repeater architecture in the HDMI PC codes.

Your symptom is classic. You get the initial picture and when your new receiver asks for the first repeater handshake, it does not get, it, concludes you are a pirate, and cuts the signal.

Any device that receives and then transmits HD over HDMI, like a receiver is required to have repeater architecture now. A TV being an end device is only required to make one initial handshake.

So I think your HTPC needs an upgrade, But I know this is a tricky issue in HTPC now, especially with windows Vista. So may be the HTPC enthusiasts can pick up the ball now and advise you on what hardware and software upgrades you need to be HDCP compliant to the current codes.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Also try hooking the Component Video output from your receiver to your TV. Unhook the HDMI to your TV before you do this.

I don't like that DVI-to-HDMI stuff.

When I buy a graphics card, I always get one with HDMI to begin with.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Also try hooking the Component Video output from your receiver to your TV. Unhook the HDMI to your TV before you do this.

I don't like that DVI-to-HDMI stuff.

When I buy a graphics card, I always get one with HDMI to begin with.
I misseds the DVI to HDMI part! That is the problem, as DVI is oonly one way. A new receiver needs two way communication with the pc. The Op's only solution without an upgrade is to run his video direct to the TV and not via his receiver.

Remember windows vista and 7 do not allow HD content via analog outputs, only HDMI.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
I misseds the DVI to HDMI part! That is the problem, as DVI is oonly one way. A new receiver needs two way communication with the pc. The Op's only solution without an upgrade is to run his video direct to the TV and not via his receiver.

Remember windows vista and 7 do not allow HD content via analog outputs, only HDMI.
We need more info on the PC.....specifically the GPU.

If its an ATI card it could be 2 way and could likely be a drivers issue.

But TLS Guy is probably right in that it is an HDCP or HDMI handshaking issue....Display Port is looking more and more attractive with every new version of HDMI.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I thought that was just between the PC and the Receiver.

But you can connect Component Video from the receiver to the TV?

A

alexwakelin

Full Audioholic
We need more info on the PC.....specifically the GPU.
Its an Nvidia 9600gt, I'm also running Windows 7 Pro on that pc. I was planning on eventually getting an ATI 5000 series card for it. I have a 5770 in my gaming rig I could swap in to see if that fixes the problem.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Its an Nvidia 9600gt, I'm also running Windows 7 Pro on that pc. I was planning on eventually getting an ATI 5000 series card for it. I have a 5770 in my gaming rig I could swap in to see if that fixes the problem.
I would try swapping the cards first. We can speculate all day but that would go the farthest in ruling other things out.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis