Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
Good evening everyone,
Well I am beginning to think it might be time to update the projector for the home theater in the basement for the super bowl party. I have been "inactive" in the HT world for a while since the birth of my twins (now 2) so would like the thoughts of the Audioholics

The particulars:
Dedicated basement theater - complete light control
Room is 22'6" X 15'6"
Ceiling mount is 13'6" from screen
First row of seating is 13'6" from screen
Second row of seating is 19' from screen
Screen is 106" 16:9 1.3 gain Da-Lite
Current projector: Epson 550
Source: Playstation 3 and HTPC for OTA HDTV, Netflix streaming and iTunes
Receiver: Denon 4310CI
Primary use: blu-ray movies and OTA HDTV - no gaming

So to get the approval from the wife I would like to keep it around $1500, unless I can find special financing (like 24 month at Crutchfield for the Epson 5020) or the bump in price really justifies the increase in performance.

So:

1) Will I notice a significant difference from the current Epson 550 (understanding I will be going from 720 to 1080, but I am 13'6" from the screen)?
2) I don't care about 3D - but understand it is likely standard on most options these days.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Pictures are a couple years old - there are now sound panels behind the fron mains and the first reflection points, plus the 2 height channel speakers on the front wall.

As always thanks for the help.

Attachments

majorloser

majorloser

There's always the Epson 3020 that is also 3D like the 5020 you mentioned (2,300 lumens):

Epson Home Cinema 3020 Projector (Epson*HC3020) Home Cinema 3020&icn=pip_epson&ici=slot4

Or the Optoma HD33. A single chip DLP that is a 3D projector (1,800 lumens):

Optoma HD33 Projector (Optoma*HD33)

The Panasonic is nice because of the higher lumens (2,800 lumens), but it's not 3D.

Panasonic PT-AR100U Projector (Panasonic*PTAR100U)

If you really want 3D, then you'll need the highest lumens you can get.

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
Thanks for the suggestions - it looks like the major differences between the 3020 and 5020 is the lens shift and higher contrast ratio (which I find used to be inflated, so wonder how real the delta is). Is there enough performance difference in the is two to warrent the additioan cost of the 5020?

For the HD33, I have not had a DPL before (both my prior projectors have been LCD) - I will need to do some additional research on the model.

I remember from years ago the Panasonics being good choices. Not overly concerned with 3D. Does the Panasonic increase in 2D quality over the other options given you don'r need to "pay" for 3D?

Thanks.

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
I just checked the throw distance on the Optoma and it looks like I will just squeak in with 106" screen and 13'6" mounting point. The range according to Visual Apex for the projector and 106" screen is 11'6" - 13'10"

Also is the lower lumens really an issue with the Optoma given I have complete light control, dark walls/carpet/ceiling??

Last edited:
majorloser

majorloser

Thanks for the suggestions - it looks like the major differences between the 3020 and 5020 is the lens shift and higher contrast ratio (which I find used to be inflated, so wonder how real the delta is). Is there enough performance difference in the is two to warrent the additioan cost of the 5020?

For the HD33, I have not had a DPL before (both my prior projectors have been LCD) - I will need to do some additional research on the model.

I remember from years ago the Panasonics being good choices. Not overly concerned with 3D. Does the Panasonic increase in 2D quality over the other options given you don'r need to "pay" for 3D?

Thanks.
If there's any way you can move the projector closer to the screen, you should.

If you are thinking about 3D, be sure to include the cost of glasses in your price estimates. Some projector come with them, others don't.

I'm not a real freak on the single DLP projectors. They use a color wheel and some people may have problems with "rainbow effect". May not be a problem for you, though. But they can be brighter than LCD projectors since the image is reflected and the light doesn't go through the image panel.

Here's a review on the Epson 3020:
Epson 3020/3020e Home Video Projector

Here's their review of the Optoma HD33
Optoma HD33 3D Home Theater Projector

As far as upgrading to the Epson 5020, the lens shift and zoom on that projector is awesome. It makes installation using an existing mounting location all that much easier. It never fails that the old projector has a center lens and the new projector has it on the side or visa versa. I got a chance to see this projector along with the Pro Cinema 6020 at the AH-GTG this year. Beautiful pictures!

I can see the Pro Cinema 6020 repalcing my Pro 7500 in the near future.

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
The movement of the projector closer at this point would be a real challenge. I have a post built into the ceiling (through the drywall to the joists) to accomodate the projector and my cable conduit and power both terminate there. Also have an I-beam that cuts across a couple feet forward of the current position that I had to accomodate (you know - holds up the first floor of the house...).

As I have started to look at my options I have found some additional projectors at a higher price range that I could get with financing (only way it will fly with the wife)

Epson 5020
Sony VPL-HW30ES

After doing some additional research on picture quality and features, I think I am going to spring for the 5020 (with financing).

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
The movement of the projector closer at this point would be a real challenge. I have a post built into the ceiling (through the drywall to the joists) to accomodate the projector and my cable conduit and power both terminate there. Also have an I-beam that cuts across a couple feet forward of the current position that I had to accomodate (you know - holds up the first floor of the house...).

As I have started to look at my options I have found some additional projectors at a higher price range that I could get with financing (only way it will fly with the wife)

Epson 5020
Sony VPL-HW30ES

After doing some additional research on picture quality and features, I think I am going to spring for the 5020 (with financing).
Good choice. I doubt that you will ever regret this purchase.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord

Epson 5020
Sony VPL-HW30ES

Go with a projector that has lens shift and solid zoom range. It will make setup much simpler. I don't see an issue with the throw distance. Not sure why there is an obsession about it. I have my Epson on a rear shelf not ceiling mounted and the picture is fine. I really can't tell the difference between 1080p and 720p, but I have bad eye sight. I would advise against financing a projector it's a luxury item not a house. You would be better off saving the money and then delaying the purchase. Projectors get better and cheaper every year.

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
Thanks for the comment on the room - it was a labor of love for almost 18 months, 9 months of planning and research while the house was being built and then 9 months of construction after work and on weekends (we had the builders leave the basement unfinished since they would not do it the way I wanted for a dedicated HT). Believe it or not, my wife brought the R2D2 to the relationship.

The financing is a matter of convenience - 24 months interest free paid off in 23 equal payments. I could pay cash, but this spreads the impact over a longer time. Plus I keep equipment for a long time so it is not like I will pop out and buy another projector anytime soon. I have had 2 projectors over the past 15 years, 3 receivers over the past 17, and 1 set of speakers over the past 17.

Thanks for everyone's responses. Now it is time to talk to the wife :p

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Can I ask why you chose the 5020 over the 30ES? I know sometimes Sony gets a bad rap for product support, but they have been upping their game as of late. The real reason is because I'd like to know under what circumstances someone would choose LCD over LCOS. Brand reputation and product support aside, LCOS is superior to LCD in just about every way I can think of. The two biggies for me are greatest fill ratio vs lowest fill ratio (DLP is in between them; no worry with moire, SDE, etc), and sealed light paths vs unsealed light paths (greater reliability, virtually no fear of dreaded dust blobs). If you're one to keep equipment as long as you say you do, hmm, I'm curious.

For full disclosure: I'm a JVC guy, and Sony is about as close of a competitor as there is.

Last edited:
Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
I can't say there is one particular reason over another of why I chose the Epson over the Sony. Some of it is the warrenty and support, some of it is the number positive review for the Epson (some of which were direct comparisons). Also was the cost - although I currently do not care about 3D, everything is included with the Epson, while the Sony require additional purchases. Plus the recommendations here on Audioholics :D

Unfortunately it is all moot as the wife and I talked and it came down to "If it ain't broke..." :(

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I can't say there is one particular reason over another of why I chose the Epson over the Sony. Some of it is the warrenty and support, some of it is the number positive review for the Epson (some of which were direct comparisons). Also was the cost - although I currently do not care about 3D, everything is included with the Epson, while the Sony require additional purchases. Plus the recommendations here on Audioholics :D

Unfortunately it is all moot as the wife and I talked and it came down to "If it ain't broke..." :(
It's probably best to wait. The technology is really advancing and you will get a better projector in a couple years anyway.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I would state, flat out... That despite some cross-talk issues with the JVC projectors, the RS series from them produces a far superior image to any LCD or DLP projector that I've ever seen and it would be THE projector I would buy today if I was buying.

The LCOS technology produces an honest black level that is simply superior to what anyone else is doing. In an ideal room, like yours, the impact from a projector with truly superior black levels is just amazing. Truly inspiring.

Since your wife has blown up the whole deal at the moment, I guess it doesn't matter much, but in your room, you deserve a better level of projector. Not only will the LCoS projectors deliver the higher quality in video, they also deliver a higher level of overall reliability which is extremely important for those who like to hang onto their equipment for years and years.

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
BMXTIX - There you are, I wondered if you would chime in. I almost put Runco as an option just to get see how you would respond ;)

My wife and I did talk about maybe looking again this time next year, so I may be pulsing the group again then.

The balance with me will always be the same that majorloser faces - I tend to buy a lot of toys and need to balance them across the hobbies :D

she buy lots of little (i.e. affordable) items I buy a few BIG items (5K mountain bike, 3K computers, 3K projectors, 2K receivers, etc.)

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Unfortunately, but not suprisingly, the Viewsonic doesn't match up to the other models out there yet. It is truly a revolutionary step forward, but I don't think Viewsonic is the company that will deliver it unless they get a few more years under their belt. A Epson, Panasonic, or maybe BenQ/Optoma with that engine would probably do a much better job. But, it's super exciting to finally see something like that come to market.

I'm now a strong fan of Runco and will be exclusively recommending them going forward. This ensures my payola you know!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm now a strong fan of Runco and will be exclusively recommending them going forward. This ensures my payola you know!
Sure, Runco is among the top of the food chain.

Yes, but a Runco Laser LED PJ would cost how much? :eek:

Personally, if my two BenQ W6000 projectors (which I'm completely happy with) were to go out, I'd probably go with a BenQ Laser LED (assuming Laser LED is mature by then). :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis