M

mdseverin

Audiophyte
I'm just starting to finishing my basement and I'm starting to think of how I want to set up my home theater system. I would like to get a nice HD projector, but I don't know much about it. The room would be completely dark with no lights on. I can turn the lights on with a dimmer if I wanted. I don't really want to spend over $2500. I would mainly be using this space to watch movies and sports. I guess the lights would be on when watching a game.

I was looking at the Epson 8350, but wanted to know if that would be good for my situation. I'm a little confused on the whole black level. Would black levels not look as good in a dark room?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The darker the room, the more important a good projector becomes. The best projector around $2,500 right now is the JVC HD250, next up is the Epson 8700UB, then the 8350 is what I would recommend.

Most people say the same as you 'The room would be completely dark with no lights on' - but then they have light walls, a white ceiling, and light carpet. In that room you will NEVER have it completely dark when you have a giant flashlight of a projector lighting the room up. It's worth knowing this, because if the room is not truly dark, like dark walls, dark ceiling, and dark carpet, then you may miss out on quality and then it makes less sense to get a better projector.

The 8350 is a great entry level model and paired with a decent Carada screen is a solution which should last you for years of happiness.

M

mozi121

Enthusiast
I'm kind of in support for the Epson because of the longer warranty and the free lamp offer.
Hard to beat the Epson HC6500 - which after the rebate is right in your price range.

S

SocyFisher

Enthusiast
BenQ W1000 is another option you can have. The pros - it is affordable and have good picture quality which can be at par with Epson projectors. It has a brilliant color technology that even in darker room, it still can give excellent picture and color.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
The Epson 8350 seems perfect for your budget, leaving you cash for a good screen.
Darker walls etc is a good point as well.

F

flypapa

Audiophyte
I am trying to decide between the BenQ W6000 and the Epson 8700HC. My theater is 15'wx20'L with total light control. Projector placement is 15' from the 120" 1.0 gain screen.

My last projector (Optima) was not nearly bright enough. All the reviews recommend the 8700.

The W6000 however is really bright!

Any thoughts?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The first rule, this time of year, is to wait a month for CEDIA to see what projectors are coming out soon. The new Panasonic AE7000U may really be worth considering with a very high quality 1,000+ lumen mode right now. There will be other options I'm quite sure, as well. Even BenQ may deliver with a W7000 with 1080p and 3D support.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis