New projector for downsized HT

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
All,
Good afternoon. I am looking to get a new projector (downsizing my HT after a work relocation) to pair with a 92" Carada Classic Cinema White (1.0 gain) in a light controlled room. Looking to sit about 11' back. The 2 main contenders are the Epson 5030UB and the Sony VPL-HW40ES. I know several people have favored the Sony, but wondered given the price drop of the Epson 5030UB to $2,000 do you think the Sony is worth the extra $500?

Also, I have heard different theories on where in the zoom range to mount the projector. I have free reign at this point. Do I mount it as far back as possible and not use a zoom or mount it closer? I know closer results in a brighter picture, but not sure of the trade off.

Thanks.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You can buy the Sony from unauthorized sellers, then get a Square Trade 4 year warranty, and walk away with it for well under $2,000. That's likely what I would do if I were interested in the Sony right now.

Also, yes, most people who have seen both favor the Sony, so I would go that route.

The projector has a zoom lens. You zoom out, you zoom in, you zoom in the middle. There is no situation when you are not using zoom. How close or far back in the zoom range is the discussion, but you will always be using zoom.

With a smaller screen size and have some range, I would more towards the back of the zoom range. About 20% or so from the furthest position.

This uses less of the lens and introduces slightly less distortion from the lens. It also reduces brightness a bit considering your smaller than average screen size.

If I were 11' from my screen I would be looking at a 110" screen diagonal at a minimum.

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
Thanks BMXTRIX. The 11' was a typo (I was thinking of my old HT). I will actually be sitting 8-9' from the screen. I have a 106" 1.3 gain screen now from my old theater, but the new room is only 9'7" wide (and 18' deep). While the 106" fits, it jams my towers in the corner and I like them a bit more in the room. I am also trying to shoot for 2 rows (although I mostly care about the first row). In terms of zoom, I can certainly place it about 20% from the farthest mounting.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis