MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark

Audioholic Intern
Hello, I am looking to purchase a preamp for my system. I have been using my AV receivers' preout as my preamp, but i would like to upgrade.

System will be

(2) Mcintosh MC75 tube mono blocks
(2) Spatial Audio M3 Speakers
Uturn turntable with Grado Black stylus
Bluesound Vault for NAS Flac file playback
Sony older Cd player
(maybe) a sub
RCA output for a Sonos zone in

I have would like to get a tube preamp and have been looking at Audio by Van Alstine FET Valve CF and Rogue Audio RP1 Preamps. Any thoughts on these preamps or recommendations on other tube preamps?

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Hello, I am looking to purchase a preamp for my system. I have been using my AV receivers' preout as my preamp, but i would like to upgrade.

System will be

(2) Mcintosh MC75 tube mono blocks
(2) Spatial Audio M3 Speakers
Uturn turntable with Grado Black stylus
Bluesound Vault for NAS Flac file playback
Sony older Cd player
(maybe) a sub
RCA output for a Sonos zone in

I have would like to get a tube preamp and have been looking at Audio by Van Alstine FET Valve CF and Rogue Audio RP1 Preamps. Any thoughts on these preamps or recommendations on other tube preamps?
I would pose a question before tossing my vote to a tube based pre-amp.
What do you hope to improve by changing from your AVR pre-amp to a dedicated tube based pre-amp?
Is this simply aesthetics (all tube), or is there a performance issue you are trying to address?

Looking at the rest of your system, I like every item you have listed. I'd be happy with your choices, hands down. It all looks like great equipment.

MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark

Audioholic Intern
I would pose a question before tossing my vote to a tube based pre-amp.
What do you hope to improve by changing from your AVR pre-amp to a dedicated tube based pre-amp?
Is this simply aesthetics (all tube), or is there a performance issue you are trying to address?

Looking at the rest of your system, I like every item you have listed. I'd be happy with your choices, hands down. It all looks like great equipment.
Hi Buck, I am trying for the best sound possible.

Running the MC75s using the AV receiver pre-out sounds good but not "great". I think I can get better sound quality by having a preamp that is very simple and dedicated to being a preamp. Because I have tube amps, I would like to have a tube pre-amp.

As far as aesthetics, the new (new to me /used) preamp would not be seen in the system, just a component behind glass door.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I've a witnessed a number of Audio by Van Alstine preamps and amps in use, and I can vouch for their quality. AVA makes electronic gear with the lowest noise levels I've known. I frankly doubt if anything else is better, regardless of the price.

Did you consider the AVA Transcendence 10 preamp, at half the price of the FET Valve CF preamp?

I suggest you speak to Frank Van Alstine and ask if there are any issues or problems with using his preamps with your amps.

I haven't heard any of the Rogue Audio products, and can't comment.

MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark

Audioholic Intern
I've a witnessed a number of Audio by Van Alstine preamps and amps in use, and I can vouch for their quality. AVA makes electronic gear with the lowest noise levels I've known. I frankly doubt if anything else is better, regardless of the price.

Did you consider the AVA Transcendence 10 preamp, at half the price of the FET Valve CF preamp?

I suggest you speak to Frank Van Alstine and ask if there are any issues or problems with using his preamps with your amps.

I haven't heard any of the Rogue Audio products, and can't comment.
Thanks Swerd, the AVA Transcendence looks nice, similar to the Rogue RP1, having two tubes. I'm curious if there is a big difference in two tubes vs four. I put an email into AVA with some questions on both units. The AVA amps seem to have gotten some great reviews.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
If I was in the market for a preamp today, I'd just buy a multi-channel model. This allows enjoyment of multi-channel SACD's. Also, for stereo pleasure, a sub is so much easier to integrate into the pre/pro based system. You will not need an external crossover, whether you integrate an active of passive sub. Also, now it appears most of the better pre/pros accommodate MM cartridges. And finally, the pre/pro will surely get you Airplay for convenience; and, they usually have great DACs which can decode from virtually any digital source.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis