Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
The Outlaw 1070 is coming. Lots of photos at the site. Seems like a respectable receiver. I think it has a $900 MSRP. Here's a link to the receiver. I really like the binding posts on the back. Nice neat lay out. I also like the update to Outlaw's website.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
They've dropped the price on the Model 770 amp to $1599 also.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I like Outlaw's concept with direct to consumers...

Yet, DVI switching and no HDMI switching seems to be limiting. With HD discs coming down the road and HDMI supporting 36 bit while DVI only supports 24 bit, it seems that you are almost buying into obsolesence with a DVI only switching receiver.

But, it is nice and clean and I like the layout. Great binding posts and simple single zone design is nice. I could pick some things to gripe about, but a nice simple receiver is nice to see for once.

G

Geoh

Junior Audioholic
Why only a 5.1 DVD analog input?
A 7.1 input would seem to be easy enough to do and maybe future-proof the unit a little more.
Or maybe those two analog inputs below the 5.1 input are used for the 7.1 input?

geoh

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
The new Outlaw does look nice. I was reading about it on their site last week and they do give an explanation for why they went with DVI instead of HDMI (mainly because they feel that the HDMI spec is still in flux). Whether you agree with their conclusion or not is another matter.

Choosing what features to add and what to omit is always tricky. It's just like software - no matter what you do, there will always be some that were hoping for something else.

I only have one quibble with it. They say 'color coded jacks for all inputs/outputs' and based on the picture that is clearly not true. They don't follow the color conventions for surrounds (sides), rear, and center. Obviously, that has no bearing on sound, but gee it wouldn't cost more than 2 cents apiece to do it.

I may seriously consider this receiver for my next upgrade instead of sticking with my usual choice of Onkyo.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
I like the Outlaw gear because it is simple. Everything is placed in a logical manner. There aren't 200 options or surround modes I'm never going to use more than twice to wow the friends and neighbours, but I don't want that anyway. Just give me something that looks good in my rack, sounds good with my speakers, and that will last 20 yrs and I'm happy. I'm a big fan of Nad because they go with that stripped down, function first look (unless it's the Master's Series that Anamorphic found), and Outlaw designs in a similar way. $900 US is a lot of the green stuff to me to be honest, but that receiver seems like a solid contender in the under $1000 market. 65w all channels driven is a lot of power, and Outlaw is known to rate honestly.

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
Geoh said:
Why only a 5.1 DVD analog input?
A 7.1 input would seem to be easy enough to do and maybe future-proof the unit a little more.
Or maybe those two analog inputs below the 5.1 input are used for the 7.1 input?

geoh

It is 7.1 as you said, you use the 5.1 on top and the L/R on the bottom

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
:( As usuall great architecture but poorly chosen in terms of features. I loved their stuff when I demoed it at HE2002 in NY. Well I would keep an eye on this company still as they keep adding more features.

~Bob

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
:( As usuall great architecture but poorly chosen in terms of features. I loved their stuff when I demoed it at HE2002 in NY. Well I would keep an eye on this company still as they keep adding more features. Its little things like a no grounding on the power connection. Which really helps redirect EMI noise from the power transformer away from components. Lack of HDMI is a big thing too.. atleast two in one out would be nice. Also the Crystal DSP is not on par with newer DSPs such as the Analog Devices' SHARC Melody 100 or Yamaha's LSI938 Not so much Surround modes but in terms of speed and SNR.

~Bob

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
Khellandros66, that's some good info to have. Nice when someone can point to the shortcomings of things with specifics as opposed to "that stuff sucks" or some other witty banter like that. I was wondering though, with regards to the Crystal DSP, is it just out of date, or are the higher sn ratio/slower speed inherent issues? The grounding issue is another good point, and something I wouldn't have known to look for. As for DVI vs HDMI, I think that they may have mae the wrong choice, but een DVI switching is rare on sub-$1000 machines. I bet that they launch next years 1070 with HDMI though.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis