New Lap Top and Absolute Need for Cans!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have taken delivery this week of a new Dell Lattitude 7000 lap top, loaded with Windows 10. It has a standard HDMI out and with windows 10 I can use it as an HTPC when not in the studio. It also ChromeCasts.

This replaces my last Dell Lattitude, now 6 years old, tired and outdated.

I really like this small profile light computer. It is very fast and powerful. I'm also certain that Windows 10 has better PQ and SQ than Flash.

There is one universal modern problem. The speakers are underneath and there is not much power in the amp. So when you have it on your lap, your clothes completely muffle the sound, as does placing it on a desk.

So this makes cans mandatory.

My eldest son was round yesterday and had a pair of these Sennheiser Momentum M2 phones.

They were stunning

They have perfect tonal balance and even though they are closed cans, the bass was deep and tight. Easily the best closed phones I have ever heard. In fact if not for the isolation I would not know they were closed phones.

You can order in a choice of three colors. You order for Android or Apple IOS. There is a control on the lead that controls the mobile device.

I drove them from my iPhone, and it drove them loud without distress. They appeared very sensitive and impedance is 18 ohms.

There is a built in microphone.

Response to 16 Hz is claimed, no 3 db point referenced. Bass was deep accurate and formidable though.

Sennheiser phones always sound the best to me. To be quite honest I wonder why anybody else bothers to make headphones.

After jerking Amazon around all morning and failing to complete the deal, I got a discount and an $80 instantly redeemable coupon and saved just over $150.

They will arrive this week, free shipping on Amazon prime.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Not long ago I bought Sens 558 on amazon for $80. Tbh - they have great sound. I think that they are a bit too tight on the head, but they supposed to loosen with time (or is it me breaking-into them ? :)
Almost as good SQ wise on-par with my much more expensive AKG K712pro, but later much more comfortable.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
+1 on the Dell Lattitude line!

I was recently in the market for new laptops and I only considered Dell Lattitude, Asus, and Samsung.

I got the GF a 6000 series lattitude. At work, I had a 6000 series for many years that was a work horse. I even passed up the first opportunity to upgrade. When I finally did upgrade, it was a 5000 series and it has been rock solid so far too.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I will give a more in depth review here when I get my pair and can do more extended listening.

However first impressions were overwhelmingly positive. I thought the sound of these phones stunning on first acquaintance. I am not a headphone enthusiast at all, in fact have a general dislike of them.

I have never heard a set of phones produce a sound stage like these.

I will evaluate them with a wide range of music, and report back in this space. I think I should have them Wednesday.

I just can't believe the price I got them for.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I wondered why you didn't post on the headphone thread. Now I know why. Senns make great phones. When I had the Senns 580 they were fantastic. :)

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I will give a more in depth review here when I get my pair and can do more extended listening.

So... :D

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja

However first impressions were overwhelmingly positive. I thought the sound of these phones stunning on first acquaintance. I am not a headphone enthusiast at all, in fact have a general dislike of them.

I have never heard a set of phones produce a sound stage like these.

I will evaluate them with a wide range of music, and report back in this space. I think I should have them Wednesday.

I just can't believe the price I got them for.
Knowing your tastes I'm looking forward to your review.

jp_over

jp_over

Full Audioholic
Dr. Mark,

I should have also mentioned, I'd like to hear your opinion on the GMP 8.35D (my reference headphones). If you'd like to try them out I'd be glad to send them over for a bit.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Dr. Mark,

I should have also mentioned, I'd like to hear your opinion on the GMP 8.35D (my reference headphones). If you'd like to try them out I'd be glad to send them over for a bit.
I'm not familiar with those German Maestro headphones. I have never heard a pair and so I can't comment.

I do like the Momentum M2s. For headphones to travel with they are the bast I have seen. They pack small in a well thought out bag and case. They take very little space in my laptop bag. My laptop is Windows 10. My phone is an iPhone. So the in line cord controls work on my phone but not my laptop. You have to choose phones for Android or Apple.

Their sensitivity is very high and there is plenty of clean volume from the phone or laptop. I think the iPhone has the slightly better headphone amp.

Since these are closed phones, isolation is good. My wife says she can not hear them when I'm listening to them.

I find them very neutral through the mid and top range. The percussion still sparkles and the strings are smooth. There is more than adequate dynamic range because of their very high sensitivity.

The bass is slightly warm which many will find not unpleasant. All closed phones have this problem all other closed phones I have tried have been far worse. So the bottom octave of the piano is ever so slightly plummy. The bass however is much deeper than other phones of this type I have tried. Powerful pipe organs do not stress these phones in the least and are reproduced with authority.

They sound remarkably like my speakers, apart from sounding like most good ported speakers than my TLs.

If you want good music on the go, especially planes, then these phones are the ideal traveling companion.

The bottom line is that these phones offer excellent and highly listenable sound quality and are very comfortable. Their design, ergonomics, and build quality are second to none. Their appearance does suggest a pro retro style which I have to say I like. If you want the modern chic look, then may be these phones are not for you, but then you will pass up an excellent traveling companion.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I'm not familiar with those German Maestro headphones. I have never heard a pair and so I can't comment.

I do like the Momentum M2s. For headphones to travel with they are the bast I have seen. They pack small in a well thought out bag and case. They take very little space in my laptop bag. My laptop is Windows 10. My phone is an iPhone. So the in line cord controls work on my phone but not my laptop. You have to choose phones for Android or Apple.

Their sensitivity is very high and there is plenty of clean volume from the phone or laptop. I think the iPhone has the slightly better headphone amp.

Since these are closed phones, isolation is good. My wife says she can not hear them when I'm listening to them.

I find them very neutral through the mid and top range. The percussion still sparkles and the strings are smooth. There is more than adequate dynamic range because of their very high sensitivity.

The bass is slightly warm which many will find not unpleasant. All closed phones have this problem all other closed phones I have tried have been far worse. So the bottom octave of the piano is ever so slightly plummy. The bass however is much deeper than other phones of this type I have tried. Powerful pipe organs do not stress these phones in the least and are reproduced with authority.

They sound remarkably like my speakers, apart from sounding like most good ported speakers than my TLs.

If you want good music on the go, especially planes, then these phones are the ideal traveling companion.

The bottom line is that these phones offer excellent and highly listenable sound quality and are very comfortable. Their design, ergonomics, and build quality are second to none. Their appearance does suggest a pro retro style which I have to say I like. If you want the modern chic look, then may be these phones are not for you, but then you will pass up an excellent traveling companion.
I wrote a brief summary of them as well, they are my go to travel headset. They are that good

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/sennheiser-momentum-2-0-wireless-my-perfect-air-travel-companion.104435/

jp_over

jp_over

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the follow up; I'll have to give these a try!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis