A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
very, *very* nice. Are those two F112's?

Can i ask what made you go with a projector and a TV? Do you watch a certain type of programming on one vs. the other, or is it you only use the TV during the day?

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
very, *very* nice. Are those two F112's?

Can i ask what made you go with a projector and a TV? Do you watch a certain type of programming on one vs. the other, or is it you only use the TV during the day?
Thanks, they are F113's, I wanted this to be a multi purpose room and not have to view everything in the dark. So far, I only use the projector for movies. I prefer Std Def and most HD broadcast television (especially sports) on the smaller plasma screen. The plasma is 58", the PJ screen is 106". I may go a bit bigger on the projection screen when I upgrade the projector and screen.

zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
Very nicely done rmk. Looks clean & elegant yet comfortable, which is what I try to do as well (not make it look like an overly electronic den). I hope to find a house with enough space to do something similar when I move next year. I've been casually looking at houses over the last couple months, and it's hard to find one with a good room for a dedicated HT/sound system unless you're looking at recently built houses in the "pop up mansion" neighborhoods as I call them, and they are out of my league $$ wise and more house than I need (single).

I'd also like to do the projector & plasma combo like you have. Actually I'd like to just have a 58" plasma first.... but in planning ahead thinking about what I want out of my dream 'dedicated room', I'd the combination. Post more pics if you've got them, like another of the back of the room.

Alright everybody, when are we carpooling over to rmk's for football & movies? We'll need directions... I'll bring chicken wings and drinks. :D but seriously!

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Very nicely done rmk. Looks clean & elegant yet comfortable, which is what I try to do as well (not make it look like an overly electronic den). I hope to find a house with enough space to do something similar when I move next year. I've been casually looking at houses over the last couple months, and it's hard to find one with a good room for a dedicated HT/sound system unless you're looking at recently built houses in the "pop up mansion" neighborhoods as I call them, and they are out of my league $$ wise and more house than I need (single).

I'd also like to do the projector & plasma combo like you have. Actually I'd like to just have a 58" plasma first.... but in planning ahead thinking about what I want out of my dream 'dedicated room', I'd the combination. Post more pics if you've got them, like another of the back of the room.

Alright everybody, when are we carpooling over to rmk's for football & movies? We'll need directions... I'll bring chicken wings and drinks. :D but seriously!
That would be quite a drive for you my friend;). I'm in Ca. I love the pop up mansion comment. Quite a few of those out this way as well. In fact, I think we invented them:D.

Here are a couple more pics of the back of the room.

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
Just wondering how good the sound projection with your rear speakers. They seem to get blocked off by the couch.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
That would be quite a drive for you my friend;). I'm in Ca.
Where in Cali? I live in the SF South Bay, but make it home to San Diego fairly often. I'd like to hear those JL's, (kind of like a Porsche, I'll never buy one, but it's fun to check 'em out).

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Just wondering how good the sound projection with your rear speakers. They seem to get blocked off by the couch.

They are a bit. I needed the floor standers in the old room and so ... If I was listening to more multichannel music that position might be more of an issue. In the HT for surround sound it's not a big deal. I may at some point sell them and go to wall mount surrounds.

A

acidzerocool

Audiophyte
Love the clean setup and great use of a PJ and Plasma.

Coheednme13

Coheednme13

Audioholic
I love your room. It's simple, yet a really nice room. I showed my girlfriend the pictures and she loves it. Highest WAF room on the ht showcase. I want a room just like yours. Keep up the good work

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
I love your room. It's simple, yet a really nice room. I showed my girlfriend the pictures and she loves it. Highest WAF room on the ht showcase. I want a room just like yours. Keep up the good work
Thanks, WAF wasn't really the goal here but nice to hear the room’s aesthetics are pleasing to the other gender:). Keeping up the "good work" I have sold my direct radiating rear speakers and purchased dipole/bipole surrounds. I have them on temporary stands but will be wall installing them this weekend. As these are my first venture into "surround speakers" It will be interesting to see how they sound vs. the DR's.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Revel Embrace Surrounds

I have been thinking about replacing my Performa F32 rear speakers with wall mounted surrounds and this week found a dealer with a pair of Embrace’s at very good price, so I sold the F32’s and mounted the Embraces this weekend. The F-32’s (great speakers BTW) were essentially firing into the back of the sectional couch that is the main seating for the HT. This was especially noticeable with multichannel music but even with movies, this placement was not ideal for floor standing speakers. The Embrace’s are one of the very best dipole/bipole speakers and they sound incredible. I also prefer the look of wall mounted surrounds and may add an additional side wall pair for a 7.1 setup in the future. Based upon my use and the room configuration, this was a very good upgrade to my system.

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
how much loss are you aborbing when you dump the old stuff?
He has very reasonable prices. :D

rmk, the room is looking terrific. I bet those subs rock the house big time. Have you checked for any cracks in the walls since you finished the room??? ;)

Did you install the bass traps up front or did you listen to the room first? Just trying to gauge how much of a difference they made.

C

CaptainAudio

Audioholic Intern
Excellent room!

And the addition of dipole/bipole speakers would have been well worth it.
;)

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
He has very reasonable prices. :D

rmk, the room is looking terrific. I bet those subs rock the house big time. Have you checked for any cracks in the walls since you finished the room??? ;)

Did you install the bass traps up front or did you listen to the room first? Just trying to gauge how much of a difference they made.
Thanks, it is nice to have a dedicated space. I have much to learn about audio and video but it has been a lot of fun putting this room together. I only had a week with the system in the new room before the acoustic treatments arrived. The GIK guys gave me some recommendations and I have done most of what they suggested.

The Fathoms are great HT and music subs. Amazing output from such a small cabinet. I have become expert in sheet rock patching, so a few LFE cracks won't bother me;).

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Gtg

Had a little get together over at the house to break-in the HT. As you can see from the picture, we were fortunate no glasswear was broken with all the LFE output that day. My comments are below:

As a disclaimer, I am new to this hobby and I’m sure many mistakes were made in the setup of the subs. I wanted to keep this an informal gathering and any impressions drawn should be taken in that spirit.

It was a mix of audio enthusiasts from several of the forums I visit and all are good and knowledgeable guys who are into HT and audio. I don’t have any friends who are “into audio” so it was nice to be able to actually meet and spend some time with guys who share my interest in this hobby. By coincidence, all save me own SVS subs.

My interest was in hearing the PB13’s as compared to the Fathoms in my newly created and heavily treated HT room. We decided to stack the subs (little ones on top) to simplify the setup and to give both sub pairs essentially the same room to work with. All were connected to my SMS-1. The Ultras were daisy chained; the Fathoms were in my usual master/slave config. I used the SMS-1 to auto EQ the Ultra pair (Setup 3 on the SMS-1) and for simplicity sake, that EQ setting was used for both subs during our listening tests. The Fathoms were running with ARO active for most of the demos. I’m not sure about the Ultras settings other than the SMS-1 auto EQ. I believe it was in the 15Hz tune all ports open (correct me if I’m wrong here Keith), then we switched to sealed.

As Keith mentioned, both subs seemed to be running hot. The Fathoms had been level matched to my speakers by using the Avia disk. I checked this after the session and the Fathoms were still within 2 db of my mains using the Avia test tones. In hind sight, I should have used Avia to check the levels on the Ultras as well. I do not know where the gain was set on the Ultra.

HT:

Keith put together a fantastic set of demo DVD’s but we concentrated on one in particular that included the usual suspects WOTW, Transformers, Pulse and my favorite, a PIXAR animated short called “Lifted”. The Ultra was first up and it didn’t take long for me to realize that is a very serious subwoofer. It produced the lowest frequencies at levels I had not previously experienced with the Fathoms. The bass was over the top and the visceral impact had me laughing at what the neighbors must be thinking (I didn’t give them a heads-up). As with my Fathoms, the Ultra has so much output capability that you can dial it back to a comfortable listening level and still feel extraordinary levels of bass. That however is not what we did. This was a “pedal to the metal” sub torture session so I let the LFE fly and fly it did … until we got to Pulse. This bad movie needs a disclaimer printed on the cover for poor unsuspecting bass freaks. Neither of these subs (nor I suspect any commercial sub) can handle that films LFE at any where near reference level. I will never believe anyone who says that they can. The Ultra gave a valiant effort but in the process produced noises that were not included on the sound track. The Fathoms being more aware of their limitations were slightly less rude sounding but still not enjoyable to listen to on the computer room pulse scene. IMHO, stupid movie, stupid audio track and one that should be left for the IB’ers to enjoy in all it’s heart pounding glory.

On to better things, WOTW Ch 5 for the 500th time was still a lot of fun. My 2nd floor room has a 22’ I-beam span that allows the floor to shake pretty good and this scene, it shook plenty. In a room like mine with subs like this, Butt Kickers in any flavor are unnecessary. Again, the Ultra seemed to produce more bass overall but the Fathoms seemed a bit more (for lack of a better word) intense on this one. Same with T3 chase scene when the large crane truck does an end over ender produced incredible levels of intense bass from both subs. I had an SPL meter handy and with all four running it was showing 120db peaks at LP (and this is with my Emotiva DMC-1 running at -20).

Music:

To be fair, neither of the subs was properly setup for musical enjoyment. In trying to determine some music that would please all I failed miserably and the choices and poor setup I’m sure influenced impressions. For me, I prefer the Fathoms tighter more controlled bass for music. The Ultras in sealed mode and wide open (20Hz tune I think) did much better than I thought they would. On my reference bass tester track (Mino Cinelu, Track 2 Moun Madinina) the Ultra produced the very lowest bass notes as well as any sub I have owned. Fast and accurate are good adjectives to apply to the Ultra.

Conclusion:

Bottom line is that you can’t go wrong with either of these subs. I prefer the size and build quality of the Fathoms but this comes at a price. The Ultras are big subwoofers but have nice wood grain or PB finishes and if you can work them into your room without getting a divorce, I say go for it. Generally speaking women plus big subs/bass don’t mix. I’m lucky in this regard as SO likes big movies with lots of bass. I’m sure she would be perfectly content if it was the Ultras instead of the Fathoms pounding out the LFE in our HT. For me, I’m happy with my little sealed subs. The call of IB may be the only thing that changes that. Time will tell.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis