New Home Wiring, What to do now?

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
A buddy of mine just built a house. He had the builder pre-wire some locations for tv's and whatnot... He's got a plasma tv above his fire place and all his components in a closet in the basement. He uses a bluetooth remote to contol them. Anyway, where this plasma is going, the builder only ran 1 coax and 3 cat5's. He needs to hook up a DVD player and Cable Box to the tv, Audio will be from the TV as well. The run is about 40 feet or so... What can i do with the CAT5's that will at least allow him to use the stuff until we figure out a way to run new cable?

Thanks

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Video wiring

The component cabinet and the plasma sound nice, however, the builder dropped the ball on the wiring.
You need 1 coax for composite video,
2 coax for s-video, and
3 RG6 coax for component video.

If the builder was smart and installed conduit, you can pull the new coax to hookup the plasma. If not, you will probably have to run it up through the ceiling and down to the TV location.
It would also be nice to have an HDMI connection to the Plasma, but it is difficult to get this to work over 40-50 foot distances.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
"If the builder was smart"

Then we wouldnt have an issue in the first place. Its gonna be really difficult to run new cable. Are there any good options to using the Cat5 to send the appropriate signals???

annunaki

annunaki

In a word, no. Sorry. :( This is why it is worth paying a competant installer to handle these issues.

majorloser

majorloser

There are 8 conductors in a Cat5 cable. If you use 4 conductors for the center pin and the other 4 for the shield of an RCA connector you might be able to use two (2) of the Cat5 cables for the audio Right & Left channels. Use the coax for a composite video cable.

You really need at least four RG6 coax cables to the screen (component and composite video). A HDMI cable would also be a plus.

Sorry if I'm not much help.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis