New home theater, speaker layout issues/questions

B

Baldrick

Audiophyte
Seems like these forums are full of questions like this but every situation is different! I cannot seem to find anything quite like my layout so I apologize if something like this has been answered before.

I have an unfinished basement and have been trying to figure out layout for home theater stuff. Unfortunately, like many, my layout is not ideal, so compromises must be taken, but I am not sure exactly what the best solution is.
Below is a diagram and photo. Those red lines are supposed to represent general angles for speaker placement. I was thinking of setting everything up for 7.2.2, or perhaps 7.2.4.
The red lines only shows front left and right, and rear left and right. I did not add anything for sides or top Atmos speakers on the diagram yet, although where they SHOULD be is easy enough to see.

My problems are the sides and backs. That blue box represents a walkway, with a heating duct running over the top. You can see that a little on the attached photo. The photo shows the viewing wall, with a fireplace in the right corner, and a blanket approximating a 100" diagonal screen, although I think I could get away with a 120".

So, there is no room on the left for a speaker. It seems I may have to do an in-wall speaker. The speaker cannot sit out in the walkway as it would of course be right in the way for people walking along there. I cannot think of any other way to do it. I have not heard good things about in wall speakers so it makes me a little sad.

For the back speakers, I have no idea where I could place them. Again, the one on the left is a real issue. I could mount them both on the ceiling, but as you can see I cannot get them very far back, along those red angles, before that left one hits the heating duct. Perhaps that is ok. But also, they are supposed to be at ear level aren't they? Also, if I go for some in ceiling mounted Atmos speakers, will there be enough separation from rear ceiling mounted speakers to make a difference?

basement.gif
basement 1.jpg

I would really appreciate some suggestions. If anyone knows some good in-wall speakers I could use for left and right surrounds, please let me know, as that seems to be my only solution.

For your viewing pleasure, more photos of the basement:
basement7.jpg basement6.jpg basement5.jpg basement4.jpg basement3.jpg

Last edited:
B

Baldrick

Audiophyte
Ok I am replying to my own thread here. Hopefully I wont be the only one :)
I have a more detailed layout now of how I think it might work. Green circles are Atmos speakers. Going down there and walking around a bit, I am thinking that wall mounted speakers for the LS and RS will work ok, as long as they don't stick out much. I am not sure exactly HOW to do that, and what type of speaker might work with that, but I think it might be possible.

speaker-placement.gif

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis